Monk's Blend

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by SimplyJenW

From English Tea Store

Black tea with vanilla and grenadine.

About English Tea Store View company

Mmmm! I can’t believe the monks were allowed to drink this, it’s sinfully delicious!

It’s a bit creamy from the vanilla, and definitely fruity, I really like it!

Though I have to google “grenadine” because surely this wasn’t made with that syrup that they used to put in my Shirley Temples when I was 8. No way were the monks allowed to drink that stuff.

This is something I will have to buy! All you who hate monks blend, feel free to send it my way! :)

Happy Saturday to me! Thank you Sil, for another winner!

(about 95 degrees for 3-4 min)

Josie Jade

This sounds yummy. I’ve always wondered what Monk’s Blends were, now I know!

TastyBrew

I have one I can send your way. WAY too fruity for me! It’s culinary teas monk’s blend. I haven’t even tried any. I smelled and it sealed it back up! You interested?

whatshesaid

Yeah for sure! Take a peek in my cupboard to see if there’s anything you’d like :)

Oh nice, I’m really glad you enjoyed this one then. I may have more to send your way from another company one of these days :)

whatshesaid

I really enjoyed it!! Thanks so much for sending it :)

This comes far later than intended, I should have just put it off till morning but I meant to do it 90 minutes ago! I went to a yelp party tonight, it was ok, I always feel left out but eh. This one guy there, he’s a yelper too, but he takes pictures not even as one of the official photographer and tbh he’s the best. LOOK AT THIS. http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/yelps-deco-dence-otps-first-yelper-party-marietta?select=eIHKdZKe6TLJwd4PhkjbZQ#jgwwq6EtoVO24tx2MVeutg
I have no idea how that is such a good picture because he was trying to get one and this little fly was getting all up in my face and I was trying to watch it to swat it away before that haha.

ok so I really really oversteeped this as a coldbrew. Like I hadn’t finished up my tons and tons of Sansa Stark tea so it kind of sat there a bit longer than necessary. It’s strong. it’s not very sweet. Though, I have never been much of a fan of this blend. There’s vanilla, but there’s really nothing else to it imo.

Well I used half the bag so at least there’s not much more.

JustJames

that’s an awesome picture! it’s nice that it’s candid too, as opposed to looking scripted.

I hope my sense of taste has mostly returned. Thanks to Rachel Sincere for this sampling!

STEEPED: Very fruity sweet smell. I think is pomegranate or grenadine. Dark brown colour.

TASTE: Spike of fruityness and slight bitterness over a base of black tea.
Sweetened (and cooled off) I can taste the vanilla and fruityness. Not as bitter.

COMMENTS: Maybe I’m still sick and tasting bitterness? But I could of oversteeped. Taste some good potential if I can get it brewed right!

I’d say this tea is a nice, nondescript smooth fruity blend. Sometimes there’s just not much to say. I’ll drink it but I won’t get excited about it.

Deb

That pretty much sums up my opinion about this tea too.

Hmmm . . . could be that I oversteeped, but what I’m tasting is some fake grenadine flavour over a little tiny bit of vanilla and some not-great black tea. Will try another cup before I write it off completely, but yeah. Bleh.

My humans got a pleasant surprise from this one. Hubby has claimed the rest of the free sample: http://bit.ly/bmoQvW

This will be an uncharacteristically short tasting note, because this is so nondescript. It both looks and smells good in the bag – nice big leaf with petals, vaguely sweetfruity scent.

In the cup, though, it just sort of… sits. Sure, there’s a vague fruitness about it, and a subtle vanilla I think Angrboda might possibly like, but then there’s also a slight burnt note I don’t like at all. I think it’s the tea base. The aftertaste is the best part of the sip, but no, this is not really for me. I don’t like fruity blacks much in the first place, but I will keep sampling, because there has to be one I enjoy.

Just not this one.

Thanks for sharing, KittyLovesTea!

[Sample from the second round of the EU Travelling Box, spring 2014.]

Angrboda

Yes, I’m also coming to the conclusion that anything you rate low will probably be right up my alley. :p We don’t have matching tastes, we have opposite tastes.

Anna

I know, right? It’s surprisingly helpful!