Monk's Blend

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From English Tea Store

Black tea with vanilla and grenadine.

About English Tea Store View company

Mmmm! I can’t believe the monks were allowed to drink this, it’s sinfully delicious!

It’s a bit creamy from the vanilla, and definitely fruity, I really like it!

Though I have to google “grenadine” because surely this wasn’t made with that syrup that they used to put in my Shirley Temples when I was 8. No way were the monks allowed to drink that stuff.

This is something I will have to buy! All you who hate monks blend, feel free to send it my way! :)

Happy Saturday to me! Thank you Sil, for another winner!

(about 95 degrees for 3-4 min)

Josie Jade

This sounds yummy. I’ve always wondered what Monk’s Blends were, now I know!

TastyBrew

I have one I can send your way. WAY too fruity for me! It’s culinary teas monk’s blend. I haven’t even tried any. I smelled and it sealed it back up! You interested?

whatshesaid

Yeah for sure! Take a peek in my cupboard to see if there’s anything you’d like :)

Oh nice, I’m really glad you enjoyed this one then. I may have more to send your way from another company one of these days :)

whatshesaid

I really enjoyed it!! Thanks so much for sending it :)

This comes far later than intended, I should have just put it off till morning but I meant to do it 90 minutes ago! I went to a yelp party tonight, it was ok, I always feel left out but eh. This one guy there, he’s a yelper too, but he takes pictures not even as one of the official photographer and tbh he’s the best. LOOK AT THIS. http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/yelps-deco-dence-otps-first-yelper-party-marietta?select=eIHKdZKe6TLJwd4PhkjbZQ#jgwwq6EtoVO24tx2MVeutg
I have no idea how that is such a good picture because he was trying to get one and this little fly was getting all up in my face and I was trying to watch it to swat it away before that haha.

ok so I really really oversteeped this as a coldbrew. Like I hadn’t finished up my tons and tons of Sansa Stark tea so it kind of sat there a bit longer than necessary. It’s strong. it’s not very sweet. Though, I have never been much of a fan of this blend. There’s vanilla, but there’s really nothing else to it imo.

Well I used half the bag so at least there’s not much more.

JustJames

that’s an awesome picture! it’s nice that it’s candid too, as opposed to looking scripted.

I hope my sense of taste has mostly returned. Thanks to Rachel Sincere for this sampling!

STEEPED: Very fruity sweet smell. I think is pomegranate or grenadine. Dark brown colour.

TASTE: Spike of fruityness and slight bitterness over a base of black tea.
Sweetened (and cooled off) I can taste the vanilla and fruityness. Not as bitter.

COMMENTS: Maybe I’m still sick and tasting bitterness? But I could of oversteeped. Taste some good potential if I can get it brewed right!

I’d say this tea is a nice, nondescript smooth fruity blend. Sometimes there’s just not much to say. I’ll drink it but I won’t get excited about it.

Deb

That pretty much sums up my opinion about this tea too.

Hmmm . . . could be that I oversteeped, but what I’m tasting is some fake grenadine flavour over a little tiny bit of vanilla and some not-great black tea. Will try another cup before I write it off completely, but yeah. Bleh.

My humans got a pleasant surprise from this one. Hubby has claimed the rest of the free sample: http://bit.ly/bmoQvW

Queued post, written April 23rd 2014

I’ve learned, relatively recently, that a ‘monks blend’ is often something that involves vanilla and grenadine. Well. Isn’t that really all the justification I need to nab this one out of the EU TTB round 2?

Vanilla and a relatively tart sort of fruit seems to generally be a winner for me. There is the fabled Late Summer blend from AC Perchs which has vanilla and cranberry, for example, and the very idea of vanilla and grenadine in tea (who am I kidding? In anything! ) holds a great appeal to me.

This one smells both tart and sweet. I can easily tell that there is vanilla in it and the grenadine is equally clear and easy to detect. I can’t pick up anything of the base, though, which is a shame.

Gosh, this stuff! This is very similar to the aforementioned late summer blend, actually! It’s just grenadine instead of cranberry, and to be entirely honest with you I don’t think there is that big a difference between those two things to begin with.

I’m tasting primarily pomegranate-y grenadine. The vanilla smooths everything out and adds sweetness before the pomegranate comes again in spades on the swallow. I should have liked to have a little more vanilla in this, but it’s very good already as it is. It’s weird with flavours, really. In almost anything flavoured I want to be able to taste the base as well as the flavour. Except vanilla. There is always room for more vanilla.

I was skimming other people’s posts about this one, and came across one written by Anna. She didn’t like this blend very much but she wrote that she thought it would probably be something for me. I laughed when I saw. How right you are, Anna. How right you are.

gmathis

A Monk’s Blend (Culinary Teas) was the first tea I ever bought a whole pound of. Loved it down to the last leaf.

Anna

SO FUNNY! I remember this!

I think I’m going to keep trying this tea. I’ve had it two days in a row and I can’t seem to get the steeping parameters correct. I tried this morning to steep it for 3 minutes, and it was a nice smooth black tea but not much fruity goodness. I added a bit of sugar and milk, and that definitely improved the taste! I was hoping to find in this tea a nice strong black tea that didn’t need sugar or milk, but I guess I should be happy to drink it like I drink all my other black teas. It certainly is a great tea for it’s price point!
I think I was spoiled by Short and Stout’s Monk’s Blend – it is much more syrupy sweet, which is a plus for me.

This will be an uncharacteristically short tasting note, because this is so nondescript. It both looks and smells good in the bag – nice big leaf with petals, vaguely sweetfruity scent.

In the cup, though, it just sort of… sits. Sure, there’s a vague fruitness about it, and a subtle vanilla I think Angrboda might possibly like, but then there’s also a slight burnt note I don’t like at all. I think it’s the tea base. The aftertaste is the best part of the sip, but no, this is not really for me. I don’t like fruity blacks much in the first place, but I will keep sampling, because there has to be one I enjoy.

Just not this one.

Thanks for sharing, KittyLovesTea!

[Sample from the second round of the EU Travelling Box, spring 2014.]

Angrboda

Yes, I’m also coming to the conclusion that anything you rate low will probably be right up my alley. :p We don’t have matching tastes, we have opposite tastes.

Anna

I know, right? It’s surprisingly helpful!

Angrboda

I just found this post again and I LOLed so much! And I quote, “which Angrboda will probably like”
I’m drinking it now and thinking omnomnomnom!

I’m not getting any burnt-ness from the base, but then again, I never make flavoured blacks with boiling water either, so that might make the difference. I feel flavours perform better for me with around 90°C.

Anna

Hahaha. Oh man. It NEVER FAILS.