Tea at The Empress (aka Empress Orange Pekoe)

Edit tea info Last updated by Nitoo6of6

• “I had tea at the Empress a few years ago. I had forgotten that they sent us home with these neat tins full of tea, until I was rumagging around in my parents tea cupbord a while ago. I spirited...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 881 tasting notes
  • “I had Afternoon Tea at the Empress the other day and they serve you this signature tea. It was a really cool experience, but to be honest, definitely isn't worth the money doing it again. I...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “A nice touch from the Fairmont with their Empress Tea. It's a a black Orange Pekoe style tea. Nice touch making the tea bags with loose leaf in them. They serve two cups of tea, so a nice...” Read full tasting note
    tuscanteal 135 tasting notes
  • “ I bought this blend plus the Fairmont breakfast blend in loose leaf at the Fairmont Store while I was at the Empress in Victoria BC. (Yes I broke my tea buying hiatus). In lieu of high tea which...” Read full tasting note
    Nitoo6of6 101 tasting notes

From Fairmont

Served at the Victoria’s Afternoon Tea at The Fairmont Empress.

Malty and full bodied with hints of floral flavour and a touch of oakiness. Bright golden cup. A superb tea to savor any time of the day.
This premium blend has seasonal tea from India’s Assam Valley and Nilgiri Mountains as well as mountain grown tea from Ceylon, Tanzania and Kenya. The piece de resistance is the addition of a rare China Keemun, the Burgundy of teas.

Organic Ingredients: Premium quality tea from Kenya, India, Ceylon, Assam, Tanzania and China.

About Fairmont View company

I had tea at the Empress a few years ago. I had forgotten that they sent us home with these neat tins full of tea, until I was rumagging around in my parents tea cupbord a while ago. I spirited this tin home with me, mostly for the neat tin, I must confess.
But I’v got three tea bags of this in the tin, which are now several years old, but I am determined to try them anyway.
Hmm. This brewed up very dark very fast. And the first sip gives me a bitter burst.
Second sip provides a little more roastyness, a hint of something greeny lurking in its depths.
This is strong! I’m not sure. I’m such a sweet tea drinker that this is almost overwhelming. These three tea bags will be an adventure in comfort zones, I can tell.

TeaBrat

I almost had tea at the Empress when I was in Victoria but couldn’t quite justify the cost.

Fjellrev

Oh geez, I still have the complementary box they gave me last year. And it’s insanely expensive, for sure. Definitely not worth the price.

Rosehips

It is. I dont think I would do it again, due to cost, but I do love high tea in fancy hotels.

I had Afternoon Tea at the Empress the other day and they serve you this signature tea. It was a really cool experience, but to be honest, definitely isn’t worth the money doing it again.

I had this both black and with tea and sugar. Either way, I couldn’t taste any of the Assam in the blend, however, the Ceylon and Keemun stood out the most. I’m writing this from memory, but luckily they give you a box of this tea to take home, so next time I try it, I can always reevaluate it.

This tea takes the additives really well. It’s exactly the kind of tea I like to drink with milk and sugar. Kind of like a Tim Hortons steeped tea double double, but without the cardboard flavour you get from the TH. My mom had Afternoon Tea with me and she said that it reminded her of when she was a little girl, her grandmother used to serve her tea with milk and sugar, and it tasted exactly like this. So this tea definitely earns points for bringing back good memories.

A nice touch from the Fairmont with their Empress Tea. It’s a a black Orange Pekoe style tea. Nice touch making the tea bags with loose leaf in them. They serve two cups of tea, so a nice serving.

I oversteeped mine though I think. Was slightly astringent. Will try for less time next time, but a nice addition to my morning :)

I bought this blend plus the Fairmont breakfast blend in loose leaf at the Fairmont Store while I was at the Empress in Victoria BC. (Yes I broke my tea buying hiatus). In lieu of high tea which I can’t afford and didn’t have time for during the convention, I bought 100g of each of the two organic tea blends for a very reasonable price of $12.95 each, compared to one sitting at high tea at approx $60.00. I am so glad I did! I really enjoy this blend, the tea bags were not bad for bagged tea but the loose leaf is soooo much tastier (even with my stuffed up nose.) The really nice thing is if I decide this is a favourite, the tea is available in the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver Fairmont Store which I can easily get to :) (it also available online at the Fairmont Store).

well bodied cup that I think I enjoy best as a daily drink. Affordable 100g bags are consumed quickly and the ceylon heavy blend is good plain or with cream/milk/sugar. A good base for chai blends or for a standard cup I think this provides a good “English” tea flavor. Not tolerant of over steeping keep the brew time under 4.5 minutes and brewable twice.

This tea is blended by Metropolitan tea company out of Toronto and has a few names Empress, 1908 blend, it is their standard blend available in the shop.

Tuscanteal

Thank you for confirming my suspicions on this one. Good to know as well!

Late in posting this. I actually dug this out during the Olympics when I saw this clip and ended up drinking quite a bit. They attend the tea about halfway through the clip.

Wish that I could say I was lucky enough to go to one of their afternoon teas but… it was a gift for babysitting while relatives combined business with pleasure. It is a very refreshing tea with a little citrus aftertaste – like a mild Earl Grey.