Un Soir de France (An Evening in France)

Apricot Flavour, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Black Tea, Orange Flavoring, Orange Peels, Rose Petals, Sunflower Petals
Apricot, Blood orange, Candy, Orange, Floral
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “Oh wow! I don't think I've had this one with cream before. It's so good this way! Apricot and orange are NOT a flavour combo I thought I'd fall for, but I did. Still, I think the 100g tin will be...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1618 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *OMGsrsly* for giving me the chance to try the infamous Fauchon teas! As soon as I opened the bag, I was hit with roses. And some fruits, maybe peach? Oh, that's apricot....” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 925 tasting notes
  • “Finishing up my sample of this, so sad. I love it so much. The combination of apricot and oranges is just so good. One day I will have this again. This remains one of the best examples of blood...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1212 tasting notes
  • “bit by bit fauchon i are coming to an understanding. =0) everyone loves fauchon. i have loved the smells.... but the taste kept falling short. sigh. i began to create a list of personal...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes

From Fauchon

Black tea flavored with apricot, sweet orange and blood orange.
From Fauchon’s website: “A fragrant blend combining the flavors of apricot, sweet orange and blood orange, livened with orange peels, rose petals and sunflower petals.”
Ingredients: Black tea (Sri Lanka, China), apricot flavouring, rose petals, orange peels, sunflower petals, natural orange flavouring.

About Fauchon View company

Oh wow! I don’t think I’ve had this one with cream before. It’s so good this way! Apricot and orange are NOT a flavour combo I thought I’d fall for, but I did.

Still, I think the 100g tin will be enough. Fauchon teas are expensive even in Europe, I think mostly for the seriously lovely tins. (I’m still looking at Madeleine de Miel, just because I’ve never seen these flavours before, and… honey tea! <3 http://www.fauchon.com/en/the-madeleine-au-miel.html)

Cameron B.

Madeleine de Miel was the one that caught my eye when I was browsing their website! You’ll have to tell us how it is if you do decide to try it. This one sounds delicious as well, I’m a sucker for anything apricot.

OMGsrsly

Someone has offered to send it to me, but it’s still $22 plus shipping. Almost as much as my beloved Chandernagor costs locally!

Cameron B.

I just discovered Fauchon from other Steepsters posting about it, and I am so sad that it’s not available in the US. I signed up for Vente-Privee and I’ve been checking it every day like some kind of weirdo. >>

OMGsrsly

They don’t ship to Canada, so I’m safe. :)

VariaTEA

I want L’Hiver but I really don’t know if I am ready to spend $20 on 50g. So I definitely understand your hesitation about buying Fauchon.

OMGsrsly

Yeah, I was looking at that one too. It’s just so much, especially for a tea I haven’t tried. But MF Chandernagor? No problem, I’ll buy it even at $25 or $30 a tin. :) That’s what happens when a tea is a favourite.

VariaTEA

I tried L’Hiver and liked it a lot but I still have issues paying $20 for 50g cuz that price is insane. I also would love to try the MF Gourmand teas but same problem of a huge price and a not so large amount of tea. I understand willing to spend for a favorite though.

OMGsrsly

The most expensive tea I’ve bought was just over $1/gram. So… :) If I loved it, I’m sure I could justify it somehow.

Thanks to OMGsrsly for giving me the chance to try the infamous Fauchon teas! As soon as I opened the bag, I was hit with roses. And some fruits, maybe peach? Oh, that’s apricot. Touché.

Flavour-wise, this is also heavy on the rose with apricot lingering in the background. But actually, the more I drink this, the more it also tastes like the orange flavour in Terry’s chocolate oranges. It really blends well with the rose.

The base is also a little astringent. It’s actually pretty good. I would have never thought to have combined roses and oranges. Maybe as a perfume but not in a tea!

OMGsrsly

I, uhh, don’t remember what I sent you. :)

Fjellrev

I’m going to guess this one came from you since you recently bought some? Or perhaps Sil is, as usual, may have 49382 teas up her sleeve.

But who knows!

OMGsrsly

Oh sorry, yeah. This one was from me. I think also Naissance?

Sil does indeed have 736349 teas up her sleeve. I fear for your cupboard. :D

One day I will have this again.

This remains one of the best examples of blood orange flavoring in tea to me. I wish more people did it, or did it right. I just also find it funny that this is an evening in France, when to me orange is so morning.

It was also very tasty with some honey wheat bread for breakfast.

bit by bit fauchon i are coming to an understanding. =0)

everyone loves fauchon. i have loved the smells…. but the taste kept falling short. sigh.

i began to create a list of personal rules.
1) i like fauchon greens better than fauchon blacks (who would have predicted?)

2) i like a 3 minute steep not a 4 or 5.
3) i like the water a tad cooler on each.
4) last and most important: i like nothing in them at all. no sweetener, no cream, nothing.

huh.

the orange and apricot are clear, the peach is intermittant….. SOMEWHERE i am getting a hint of chocolate? very, very lightly. which is interesting. i don’t think it would be nearly as nice if it had been on purpose, lol.

very smooth, very light…. nice to know fauchon and i are getting on! thanks to ifjuly for this!

Fjellrev

I swear my mind plays tricks with me when it comes to a “ghost” chocolate note too. I mentioned in my review that I associate the orange note in here with a Terry’s chocolate orange. It’s the same kind of orange flavour, so it automatically leads your mind to also think of chocolate?

JustJames

you and i seem to have very similar palates too…. we both get banana with the malted choco mate, remember? we both thought we were nuts….. okay, we may still be, but at least we’re nuts together, lol.

yes, btw, this should be renamed terry’s tea. it’s uncanny.

Fjellrev

Yeah, I’m sure Kittenna once mentioned that roasted mates taste like banana to her too. Either way, we may all be nuts, but nuts together it is!

But I’m glad you’re getting that same vibe from this tea. So odd considering how rosy (at least to me) it initially smells.

JustJames

inception versus evolution can be such a strange journey…..

Mmmm this was a great ending to my day. Yesterday I took the boyfriend to Oakland to see the golden state warriors play the Miami heat (NBA game)his friends and I all pitched in and bought the tickets for his birthday last week, and we stayed San Francisco. This morning we took a walk down to union square and had breakfast at the cutest little French bakery. Then I was off to a stop at LUSH which was a must!
This tea made me wish i was in France tonight! I never give fruit teas a chance. At least not hot brews. I usually cold steep them. This was delicious though!
Definitely taste the blood orange and the rose who would have known it would be a great pair. These French tea makers are genius! Genius I tell you!

Stephanie

Heck yeah LUSH! :)

2031 tasting notes

Dreaming of an evening in France on this snowy morning in Ohio. Sigh.

This is very nice, although I think perhaps I didn’t have enough leaf because it’s a little weaker than I have come to expect from Fauchon. I could smell the rose and fruit in this but I hadn’t looked up what else was in it before drinking it. I definitely got a lot of orangey citrus from this, so that’s good. Nicely rosy, and the bae as a really yummy cookie-ish note. Really it’s just something that I often find in rose and/or bergamot teas that comes across as sugar cookie to me, and I think it’s really the way the flavoring is interacting with the base. Very pleased with this one as well.

Terri HarpLady

That actually sounds kind of nice!

OMGsrsly

I really like this one. :) Next time I have it I’ll have to see if I can detect sugar cookie.

ifjuly

I dug this one a lot too! But I guess I’ve loved nearly every Fauchon tea I’ve tried so far. :b

I’ve made this one a couple times now but held off on my review as I forgot and oversteeped it once which was hardly the fault of the tea. My first comment on this (picked up from Winners) is that the tin is AWESOME. It is a lovely oval with an inner and outer lid – the tin is definitely going ot be reused after it is drained of it’s glory.

The tea itself is quite nice. It is flavoured, but delicately and tastes very natural and authentic. It comes off as a lightly sweet black tea with some peach/apricot notes and the lightest hint of orange at the end. I actually would like a bit more orange in the mix, but I can understand why it isn’t stronger. I didn’t notice any rose but it did hold up well to a second steeping with similar (though muted) flavours.

It’s a nice tea that I can definitely enjoy drinking but not pine for when it is gone. I am glad to have tried one of the “fancy French teas” though. I was feeling left out. :)

I only have two Fauchon teas from Dinosara left to try, and this one smelled much less floral than the other choice, so I decided to have it. There are many flower petals mixed in with the small black tea leaves, which is somewhat discouraging, but luckily it smells more like some kind of citrus candy. I’m finding that all of these Fauchon teas have that odd candylike smell that I can’t quite put my finger on, maybe powdered sugar or something? I guess it must be a side effect of their flavorings.

Brewed, the tea still has that same candy smell, and it’s mildly citrus. I can definitely taste orange, although it seems a bit peppier than a normal orange. After reading the description for it, I can say it’s probably the blood orange that adds that extra intensity. The apricot is there too, but it’s quite mild and is overshadowed a bit by the citrus. Overall, still a nice enough orange black tea with (hooray) no floral! :)

Flavors: Apricot, Blood orange, Candy, Orange

Sarsonator

OOooh this sounds fun!

Marzipan

I equate floral with French teas.

Cameron B.

Marz, Fauchon certainly tends to lean that way in most of their teas. :(

Another tea from Miss B ‘s stash sale! (Best deal ever!) I’m not a huge fan of orange in teas…or really anything for that matter. I’m pretty much a purist when it comes to orange in that I like actual oranges but not much else, not even orange juice. Despite all that, I really enjoyed this cup of tea! It was an extremely well done tea. The harshness of the orange was tempered by the apricot and the whole thing was subtle in the best way. This tea had an understated elegance about it. I think that any orange lover would probably cherish this tea like Gollem with the precious.

Also, I had a fabulous Monday and I hope all you Steepster-ites did too :-). My colonies of cells that I carefully tended over the weekend looked good, my prodigal plasmids returned (I found them stuffed in the back of the freezer behind a ton of boxes; not cool, careless freezer-rearranging labmate!), and my best lab friend, whose cells I also tended over the weekend so she could go on a trip, brought me a tea gift! She brought me Coco-lada by Owl’s brew which is “a tea crafted for cocktails.” Yes please! She also brought in some vafler, which we ate with raspberry jam and gjetost during break while I drank this Fauchon creation.

Flavors: Apricot, Floral, Orange

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cameron B.

Ugh, there are like a billion Fauchon teas I want to try. Stalking Vente-Privee…

mj

A. Did Nina’s ever get back to you about the samples? B. Does steepster hate everyone today, or just me?

Cameron B.

It definitely hates me too. I emailed them about it and they said they were having issues too.

Cameron B.

So please delete my million comment copies. XD

Ost

Haha glad it’s not just me too! :P

mj

There’s no tiny trashcan button! So I don’t think I can delete your comments for you. We all know you were a victim of the Steepster hissy fit

Kaylee

ok it’s a bit funny that your response to the repeated comments got repeated

LOL It totally is

Ost

This totally makes me laugh xD I find this just so funny, but maybe it’s just the meds xD

Marzipan

Cameron is really excited about this tea! :D

Stephanie

Miss B sold some Fauchon? I MISSED IT!

Marzipan

This sounds like a tea for me, since I love all things orange.

mj

Stephanie, Miss B wasn’t specifically selling Fauchon. This was more of a grab bag situation where she sold me a box full of wonderful surprises!

Marzipan, I only had a sample size of all the teas I got from Miss B, otherwise I ’d offer to send you some!

lolainred

DYING. This comment thread made me laugh so hard.

Suziqzer

This one sounds nice !

A lovely Fauchon sample from OMGsrsly!

This is one juicy black tea!

I was actually pretty impressed with myself because I was able to pick out peach notes and rose notes immediately….I often don’t trust my tastebuds to tell me the truth.

It was very fresh tasting and enjoyable, but I wouldn’t need to buy it, I prefer their La Naissance tea! (Also has roses)….not much for super fruity black teas!, though I suppose it could make a good cold brew!

So happy to have tried it!

Thanks, OMGsrsly!