Orange and Sweet Almond Tea 2013

Oolong Tea
Almond, Natural Almond Flavor, Oolong Tea, Orange Flavoring, Orange Peel
Almond, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Orange
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “This one was high on my list to pick up at Fauchon, and even though the matching confiture was sold out, the tea was still around. I love almond, orange is pretty great, and it's an oolong. They...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1915 tasting notes
  • “OK....honestly, I probably shouldn't be sampling this right now. I can't smell anything. My taste buds aren't really working very good, but I really wanted to try for something that might be...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “sipdown on this one (225) i don't like it. pretty sure it's the oolong base that just ruins it for me. it's not one of those tasty oolongs i am ok with..instead it's got this weird ick factor...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4729 tasting notes
  • “I really wasn't sure about this tea, but I quite like it! I get so used to drinking only heavy black teas that sometimes I have to back up and appreciate something else for what it is. First off,...” Read full tasting note
    Marzipan 224 tasting notes

From Fauchon

Lay a table in the orchard. Oolong tea with orange notes and almond flavours in the country simply can’t be refused.
Oolong tea whose sweet almond flavours marry perfectly with orange notes.
Contents: Half fermented tea (China), orange peel 5%, almond 4%, orange blossom 2%, natural flavour (orange), almond flavour.

About Fauchon View company

1915 tasting notes

This one was high on my list to pick up at Fauchon, and even though the matching confiture was sold out, the tea was still around. I love almond, orange is pretty great, and it’s an oolong.

They had a small jar of the dry leaf sitting out at the store and it looked kind of like a traditional tieguanyin base… hand curled leaf balls, but dark, olive green color. Turns out I was correct. There was also some unexplained large-diameter stick in my infuser, but whatever. I am normally not huge on traditional (roasted) TGY, but I think it can work really well in some blends, and this seems to be one.

The roasty flavor is a nice complement to the sweet almond. I wouldn’t call this particularly citrusy, but the orange adds a slight brightness and slight sweetness to the blend I think. It’s kind of like a slightly orangey almond cookie, complete with oven-baking. Oh, maybe even more like orange blossom almond cookies, which I love. Anyway, the afteraste is awesome, as it is very almondy, like I just drank some amaretto. I am happy with this one for sure.

Indigobloom

oooh a new company I haven’t heard of! yay! :P

IB…that’s because you’ve been living under a rock far away from steep steer lately :p

This one sounds delicious dinosara

Dinosara

Haha IB, it’s probably one to not get too invested in… A French company that doesn’t ship outside of Europe. Annoying because they have a bunch of delicious teas!

Ysaurella

This sounds really nice, I should go to fauchon to look at their teas. Thanks Dinosara for tasting it

Just means we need to plan another swap with ysaurella to have more tasty tasty French teas lol

Indigobloom

Sil, yeah, I need to get some tea “sun” :P

Ysaurella

@ Sil yes no probs and with pleasure asap I’ll get new teas. At the moment it’s so hot here I just drink my teas iced and don’t buy any new !

Ysaurella – I understand that! I hate the heat!

OK….honestly, I probably shouldn’t be sampling this right now.
I can’t smell anything. My taste buds aren’t really working very good, but I really wanted to try for something that might be sweet & here it is. This was recieved in a trade from NofarS. There is enough left for me to try it agian, so hopefully I’ll give a better review later.

Appearance-wise, it is a chocolate colored tea, in small clumps that kind of resembles shu. There are pieces of almond & orange peel mixed in as well. And I added stevia, because I couldn’t taste anything.
And it helped…a little. I have a little bit of a sweet taste in my mouth, with the sensation of Shu, overlaid with the bright sensation of orange juice. In between sips these things swell up just a little, so that I’m either slightly tasting them, or imagining it based on the sensations.

Terri HarpLady

I just read the info on the tea, & I’m a little off base, but do you expect? :)

Dinosara

I brought some of this back from Paris but haven’t tried it yet. But yeah, definitely not a shu. :D

sipdown on this one (225) i don’t like it. pretty sure it’s the oolong base that just ruins it for me. it’s not one of those tasty oolongs i am ok with..instead it’s got this weird ick factor going on when mixed with the orange and almond. yep..oh well, glad i got to try it since this is one i would have expected to have liked!

I really wasn’t sure about this tea, but I quite like it! I get so used to drinking only heavy black teas that sometimes I have to back up and appreciate something else for what it is.

First off, this is an oolong. Secondly, most of the oolongs I drink are heavily oxidized and I’d put this somewhere in the middle. Third, I usually do oolongs Gong Fu but the tin said 5 minute steep (really?) and nothing else. No temperature, no proportions, nothing. But I figured 5 minutes really needed to be western style, so I did that.

I admit that after a couple of minutes I started to get antsy, but I made myself go with their suggestion.

It’s nice! Not so green, not bitter at all, full flavor (more delicate than I’m used to but still nice). I get more almond than orange, but there were orange peels in the mix so I get it a little bit around the edges. I’m surprised how nice this is.

Thanks again to Cookie for going out of her way to get these Fauchon teas to me.

Stephanie

That sounds wonderful! My fave Fauchon tea is La Naissance, which has almond in it as well.

Cameron B.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one too. When I saw that it was oolong it was definitely an “uh-oh…” but it was great in the end. :)

Marzipan

I’m sort of smacking my lips, it’s embarrassing. :)

Steph, we will be sort of near you Sunday, we are going to a board game thing at the gaming guild on First Ave if you want to run by and pick up your teas.

Cameron B.

I need to try it at 5 minutes. I did 3 for my brew (I don’t have the tin so I just went with it) and I got a lot of orange and not much almond. More almond please! :)

Stephanie

Oh nice! Yeah I might be able to do that, Marzipan. You’ll have to make a list of what you’d like me to bring for you as well. All I remember for sure is Shiva’s Breakfast! :D

Marzipan

It starts at 1, we’ll be there a few hours – but probably not until 7 when it ends. I have so much tea, don’t worry about bringing more ;)

Stephanie

I usually go to my parents for lunch on Sundays. I’ll likely have the dog with me and won’t want to leave her in the car long, but I’ll try to stop by! Yay!!

Marzipan

Text me and I’ll come out to the car and see the dog ;)

Perfect!

I purchased this tea from Hapatite in her stash sale! Any time I see anything Fauchon, I have to jump on it. This was definitely the one I was most excited about, as I love almond. However, I did not realize that it’s an oolong base… For some reason I guess I assumed it was black like the others. I don’t know enough about oolongs to tell you what kind this is… It’s loosely rolled and still somewhat green, but seems partially oxidized, so I guess maybe tieguanyin? I don’t know! There are also flower petals, orange peel, and almonds, along with some stems. The dry scent is very sweet almond, which got me excited! There’s definitely some orange there too. I didn’t really know how to steep it, so I just went with my general French flavored/scented tea method – 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

I didn’t write any notes while I was having this tea, so I don’t really remember much about the aroma besides that it was citrusy and I could smell the greenness of the oolong underneath. I was pleasantly surprised by this tea! . The orange in it is quite nice. I’m not sure that I would call it completely authentic, but I find it does taste similar to real orange with a little extra tartness and a touch of candy flavor. The best of all worlds! :) Unfortunately for me, I didn’t find much of the almond in here, which is a shame. But I find that it doesn’t necessarily need it (although it would be nice). The base is very mild, I don’t really get any vegetal or overly floral taste like I do with green oolongs. It just kind of adds a nice mild autumn leafy, slightly toasty sort of flavor. There is a bit of floral here, but it’s very light and serves only to accent the orange.

This is a very lovely tea, and another win from Fauchon. I did drink it with a bit of sugar added, as I almost always do with flavored teas. I will definitely be keeping this tea in mind as an afternoon or early evening option (I’m unsure how much caffeine this type of oolong contains…). Thanks again, Hapatite, for giving me the opportunity to try this delightful tea! :)

Flavors: Almond, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Orange

Dinosara

This is a traditional tieguanyin base, which means that it is lightly roasted. I’ve really come to enjoy this type of oolong, glad you enjoyed it too!

MzPriss

I will confess that I have new tin of this along with the Pear one as I found them at TJMaxx. I’m sort of afraid to try them as I don’t usually like flavored tea that isn’t some sort of natural (for example real actually vanilla beans) flavor, but we’ll see…

MzPriss

OK, I just made this. I have to say – not heinous. I would drink this from time to time maybe, but not a whole tin and especially not a whole tin before it goes stale. But I will for sure finish this cup – which is saying something for me and a flavored tea. I like oolong base.

I wanted to end the evening with something sweet. I hadn’t tried this yet, so I decided that this would be my “adventure tea” of the day. It’s supposed to taste of a combination of oolong, oranges and almonds. The base is some kind of lightly roasted oolong, judging be its looks, and by its non-floral, non-perfumy flavor. The tea brews lightly, with a very delicate flavor profile – don’t have this after a curry or a highly flavorful meal.
It tastes of a good, roasted oolong, and has a slight aftertaste of almonds. If you patiently wait long enough after each sip, you will get a hint of tanginess of oranges. But nothing overpowering. Nothing that announces itself loud and clear. A very subtle tea.
It’s sweet enough to not need sugar, it could never take milk (it’s very, very light bodied), and if you are used to strong or artificially flavored teas, walk away. You will be disappointed. If you, like me, don’t like flavored teas, you’ll likely love this.

MissB

Fun question: how/where did you find Fauchon?

NofarS

Please don’t hate me- picked up a caddy of this when I was last in Paris…