Orange and Sweet Almond Tea 2013

Oolong Tea
Almond, Natural Almond Flavor, Oolong Tea, Orange Flavoring, Orange Peel
Almond, Orange, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “This one was high on my list to pick up at Fauchon, and even though the matching confiture was sold out, the tea was still around. I love almond, orange is pretty great, and it's an oolong. They...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1995 tasting notes
  • “OK....honestly, I probably shouldn't be sampling this right now. I can't smell anything. My taste buds aren't really working very good, but I really wanted to try for something that might be...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3015 tasting notes
  • “sipdown on this one (225) i don't like it. pretty sure it's the oolong base that just ruins it for me. it's not one of those tasty oolongs i am ok with..instead it's got this weird ick factor...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5107 tasting notes
  • “I had high hopes for this product and I still want to like it, but I just can't seem to find the right way to brew it. Orange flower, orange peel, almond, on an oolong base sounds like an exquisite...” Read full tasting note
    srtasabelocasi 26 tasting notes

From Fauchon

Lay a table in the orchard. Oolong tea with orange notes and almond flavours in the country simply can’t be refused.
Oolong tea whose sweet almond flavours marry perfectly with orange notes.
Contents: Half fermented tea (China), orange peel 5%, almond 4%, orange blossom 2%, natural flavour (orange), almond flavour.

About Fauchon View company

1995 tasting notes

This one was high on my list to pick up at Fauchon, and even though the matching confiture was sold out, the tea was still around. I love almond, orange is pretty great, and it’s an oolong.

They had a small jar of the dry leaf sitting out at the store and it looked kind of like a traditional tieguanyin base… hand curled leaf balls, but dark, olive green color. Turns out I was correct. There was also some unexplained large-diameter stick in my infuser, but whatever. I am normally not huge on traditional (roasted) TGY, but I think it can work really well in some blends, and this seems to be one.

The roasty flavor is a nice complement to the sweet almond. I wouldn’t call this particularly citrusy, but the orange adds a slight brightness and slight sweetness to the blend I think. It’s kind of like a slightly orangey almond cookie, complete with oven-baking. Oh, maybe even more like orange blossom almond cookies, which I love. Anyway, the afteraste is awesome, as it is very almondy, like I just drank some amaretto. I am happy with this one for sure.

Indigobloom

oooh a new company I haven’t heard of! yay! :P

IB…that’s because you’ve been living under a rock far away from steep steer lately :p

This one sounds delicious dinosara

Dinosara

Haha IB, it’s probably one to not get too invested in… A French company that doesn’t ship outside of Europe. Annoying because they have a bunch of delicious teas!

Ysaurella

This sounds really nice, I should go to fauchon to look at their teas. Thanks Dinosara for tasting it

Just means we need to plan another swap with ysaurella to have more tasty tasty French teas lol

Indigobloom

Sil, yeah, I need to get some tea “sun” :P

Ysaurella

@ Sil yes no probs and with pleasure asap I’ll get new teas. At the moment it’s so hot here I just drink my teas iced and don’t buy any new !

Ysaurella – I understand that! I hate the heat!

OK….honestly, I probably shouldn’t be sampling this right now.
I can’t smell anything. My taste buds aren’t really working very good, but I really wanted to try for something that might be sweet & here it is. This was recieved in a trade from NofarS. There is enough left for me to try it agian, so hopefully I’ll give a better review later.

Appearance-wise, it is a chocolate colored tea, in small clumps that kind of resembles shu. There are pieces of almond & orange peel mixed in as well. And I added stevia, because I couldn’t taste anything.
And it helped…a little. I have a little bit of a sweet taste in my mouth, with the sensation of Shu, overlaid with the bright sensation of orange juice. In between sips these things swell up just a little, so that I’m either slightly tasting them, or imagining it based on the sensations.

Terri HarpLady

I just read the info on the tea, & I’m a little off base, but do you expect? :)

Dinosara

I brought some of this back from Paris but haven’t tried it yet. But yeah, definitely not a shu. :D

sipdown on this one (225) i don’t like it. pretty sure it’s the oolong base that just ruins it for me. it’s not one of those tasty oolongs i am ok with..instead it’s got this weird ick factor going on when mixed with the orange and almond. yep..oh well, glad i got to try it since this is one i would have expected to have liked!

I had high hopes for this product and I still want to like it, but I just can’t seem to find the right way to brew it. Orange flower, orange peel, almond, on an oolong base sounds like an exquisite blend and they’re just the aromas I like. However, whenever I brew it, it comes out too bitter and sharp. I tried to be careful with the tempratuer, amount of the tea I put in and everything but it didn’t work out. I’m still hoping I will like this one day.

Pass the Stash TTB v2.0

The packaging smells like soap. Well the whole box smells like soap- I reckon that it’s that packet of lavender at the bottom. Thankfully this baggie was sealed fairly well and the tea smelt orangey.

I would not have picked this out as an oolong just by looking at it, which goes to show you how well I can identify things on sight (not very well). It feels weird brewing up a flavored tea after pretty much a week of straight teas. I sent the Butiki TTB2 back to Marzipan after work yesterday.

Despite the dry leaves having smelt orangey it was not very apparent in the brewed liquor. The brew was mostly oolong with a touch of orange candy. Not a very strong flavor. I got none of the almond flavor. I think this should be renamed ‘sweet orange oolong’. =) Even then I would say that the flavoring is very light, or maybe very faded.

The oolong base was of medium…? The place were it’s definately not green but I hesitate to call it anything resembling mature. It seems only partially oxidized and brews out with a touch of astringency. It wasn’t exceptional, nor was it the worse thing ever.

This is from the TTTTB 2.0. I’ve had a lot of caffeine this a.m. and decided I needed to back off a little. This is an oolong so there is some caffeine but not as much as Chocolate Rocket and My Morning Mate (This mornings caffeine of choice). I’ve got most of my ‘chores’ and exercising done ( walked 4.5 miles).

The tea has a mild orange and almond flavor. It’s quite soothing. It’s not one I personally would buy but I certainly would enjoy a cup of this occasionally. I’m enjoying drinking it while the kitchen floor dries and watching the most recent Doctor Who episode.

2nd orange oolong sample of the day! Interesting to compare this one to the Verdant I sampled earlier.

This one has a lot more orange going on, but nuttiness instead of spice. I think this would be great iced with a little sugar. Thanks for the sample Cameron B!

Cameron B.

Yum yum yum. :D

Pass the Stash TTB 2
Finally a winner for me today! This is a very subtle tea. It’s very lightly sweet with a hint of almond and orange. I quite enjoyed it. This would be a great tea while reading a light summer read :)

I finally after a month or more of searching TJMaxx and Homegoods stores finally found some Fauchon! I was so excited I bought two of these, but I think I may be suffering from a little buyers remorse. I didn’t look up the tea before steeping, so I steeped it as a black. I’ll have to try it as an oolong next and I’m hoping it will be better because this is just blah. I can taste a little orange and a little almond, but it is just flat and dull. The level of flavor that I have come to expect from this brand just isn’t there in this one. Is Fauchon just pawning off old stock on discount US stores? It is a huge disappointment after how excited I was to try it and how hard I searched for it. :(

Stephanie

oh bummer!

Stephanie

I bet you could sell it here on Steepster if you end up hating it :)

MzPriss

I didn’t love it either and my tin is on it’s way to Stephanie today

Dustin

Would anyone want to buy it after my glowing review? :P
MzPriss, did you try it cold steeped? That is going to be my next move.

MzPriss

I haven’t tried it cold steeped. I know I don;t love a lot of flavored teas but I keep trying them – and I thought these fancy French ones might change my mind. I’ve already taped up Stephanie’s box (one step closer Steph – I haven’t gotten to the post office yet though because I’m trying to pack up everyone’s box I’m sending stuff to – but I promise it’s coming!) I’m interested to see what you think of it cold steeped Dustin.

Dustin

That’s the way I was with Damman Freres! I kept trying them hoping I’d find some I liked, but it didn’t happen. They had an EG that was good, but that was it!
I’ll have to start a jar of this cold steeping now! Stay tuned for another review in the next few days!

From the Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

I should be heading out the door right now, but I wanted to make a quick note about my morning cuppa. This is nice, and it reminds me a lot of the orange almond cookies that my favorite Chinese restaurant offers. A very fun first cup of the day!