Orange and Sweet Almond Tea 2013

Oolong Tea
Almond, Natural Almond Flavor, Oolong Tea, Orange Flavoring, Orange Peel
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “This one was high on my list to pick up at Fauchon, and even though the matching confiture was sold out, the tea was still around. I love almond, orange is pretty great, and it's an oolong. They...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1850 tasting notes
  • “OK....honestly, I probably shouldn't be sampling this right now. I can't smell anything. My taste buds aren't really working very good, but I really wanted to try for something that might be...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2480 tasting notes
  • “sipdown on this one (225) i don't like it. pretty sure it's the oolong base that just ruins it for me. it's not one of those tasty oolongs i am ok with..instead it's got this weird ick factor...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “I wanted to end the evening with something sweet. I hadn't tried this yet, so I decided that this would be my "adventure tea" of the day. It's supposed to taste of a combination of oolong, oranges...” Read full tasting note
    NofarS 293 tasting notes

From Fauchon

Lay a table in the orchard. Oolong tea with orange notes and almond flavours in the country simply can’t be refused.
Oolong tea whose sweet almond flavours marry perfectly with orange notes.
Contents: Half fermented tea (China), orange peel 5%, almond 4%, orange blossom 2%, natural flavour (orange), almond flavour.

About Fauchon View company

This one was high on my list to pick up at Fauchon, and even though the matching confiture was sold out, the tea was still around. I love almond, orange is pretty great, and it’s an oolong.

They had a small jar of the dry leaf sitting out at the store and it looked kind of like a traditional tieguanyin base… hand curled leaf balls, but dark, olive green color. Turns out I was correct. There was also some unexplained large-diameter stick in my infuser, but whatever. I am normally not huge on traditional (roasted) TGY, but I think it can work really well in some blends, and this seems to be one.

The roasty flavor is a nice complement to the sweet almond. I wouldn’t call this particularly citrusy, but the orange adds a slight brightness and slight sweetness to the blend I think. It’s kind of like a slightly orangey almond cookie, complete with oven-baking. Oh, maybe even more like orange blossom almond cookies, which I love. Anyway, the afteraste is awesome, as it is very almondy, like I just drank some amaretto. I am happy with this one for sure.

Indigobloom

oooh a new company I haven’t heard of! yay! :P

IB…that’s because you’ve been living under a rock far away from steep steer lately :p

This one sounds delicious dinosara

Dinosara

Haha IB, it’s probably one to not get too invested in… A French company that doesn’t ship outside of Europe. Annoying because they have a bunch of delicious teas!

Ysaurella

This sounds really nice, I should go to fauchon to look at their teas. Thanks Dinosara for tasting it

Just means we need to plan another swap with ysaurella to have more tasty tasty French teas lol

Indigobloom

Sil, yeah, I need to get some tea “sun” :P

Ysaurella

@ Sil yes no probs and with pleasure asap I’ll get new teas. At the moment it’s so hot here I just drink my teas iced and don’t buy any new !

Ysaurella – I understand that! I hate the heat!

OK….honestly, I probably shouldn’t be sampling this right now.
I can’t smell anything. My taste buds aren’t really working very good, but I really wanted to try for something that might be sweet & here it is. This was recieved in a trade from NofarS. There is enough left for me to try it agian, so hopefully I’ll give a better review later.

Appearance-wise, it is a chocolate colored tea, in small clumps that kind of resembles shu. There are pieces of almond & orange peel mixed in as well. And I added stevia, because I couldn’t taste anything.
And it helped…a little. I have a little bit of a sweet taste in my mouth, with the sensation of Shu, overlaid with the bright sensation of orange juice. In between sips these things swell up just a little, so that I’m either slightly tasting them, or imagining it based on the sensations.

Terri HarpLady

I just read the info on the tea, & I’m a little off base, but do you expect? :)

Dinosara

I brought some of this back from Paris but haven’t tried it yet. But yeah, definitely not a shu. :D

sipdown on this one (225) i don’t like it. pretty sure it’s the oolong base that just ruins it for me. it’s not one of those tasty oolongs i am ok with..instead it’s got this weird ick factor going on when mixed with the orange and almond. yep..oh well, glad i got to try it since this is one i would have expected to have liked!

I wanted to end the evening with something sweet. I hadn’t tried this yet, so I decided that this would be my “adventure tea” of the day. It’s supposed to taste of a combination of oolong, oranges and almonds. The base is some kind of lightly roasted oolong, judging be its looks, and by its non-floral, non-perfumy flavor. The tea brews lightly, with a very delicate flavor profile – don’t have this after a curry or a highly flavorful meal.
It tastes of a good, roasted oolong, and has a slight aftertaste of almonds. If you patiently wait long enough after each sip, you will get a hint of tanginess of oranges. But nothing overpowering. Nothing that announces itself loud and clear. A very subtle tea.
It’s sweet enough to not need sugar, it could never take milk (it’s very, very light bodied), and if you are used to strong or artificially flavored teas, walk away. You will be disappointed. If you, like me, don’t like flavored teas, you’ll likely love this.

MissB

Fun question: how/where did you find Fauchon?

NofarS

Please don’t hate me- picked up a caddy of this when I was last in Paris…