Raspberry Macaron

Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “Trying this again. Even though this tea says that it's 100% black tea on the website, some of the leaf chunks in my infuser were somewhat greenish, so I steeped it at a slightly lower temp. Not...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1855 tasting notes
  • “Dear me this tea! I love Steepster so much--I jumped on the Fauchon sale mentioned in the "Misc Sales" thread in an attempt to assuage my Dammann Freres/Frenchy perfumed tea craving. Thinking...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 609 tasting notes
  • “sipdown! i had some of this hot brewed earlier today and then cold steeped the rest. Let's talk about how that was a bad idea. Don't do it. I was hoping it would let the flavours come out a bit...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4046 tasting notes
  • “Thanks *ifjuly* for sending me a sample of this tea. I've had a couple of cups of this tonight. We all know that I'm not afraid to call it as I see it, but I'm choosing to reserve judgement. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter3657 585 tasting notes

From Fauchon

Is it a tea to eat or a cake to drink? Who knows?
A tea with the almond and fruity notes of a raspberry macaron flavoured with rose.

About Fauchon View company

Trying this again. Even though this tea says that it’s 100% black tea on the website, some of the leaf chunks in my infuser were somewhat greenish, so I steeped it at a slightly lower temp. Not that I think that there is green tea in this, but rather maybe a milder black that needs a lower temp, perhaps a darjeeling?

This tea smells a lot like a macaron… it has a light, baked, cookie-ish aroma, along with raspberry and rose. In short, it smells awesome. The taste still has a very faint sharp bitter note, though. It is definitely lighter than before, so perhaps I just need to go lower in temp even, but it’s odd because it’s kind of unlike a usual oversteeped bitter note. It’s also one of those frustrating things where you can tell the rest of the flavors are awesome, but the base tea seems to be mucking it up. Sigh.

Oh and apparently I can’t read because the base is a darjeeling and it says on the website. I guess this goes to show that, no, I still don’t like darjeelings, even flavored ones. Well maybe if I play around with the steeping parameters I can get it to work for me.

Anna

(I’m in the process of trying to figure out exactly how I feel about darjeelings, and this is really helpful.)

Stephanie

Yum, that sounds like a tasty tea.

Jason

Dinosara: Did you rate this tea and then remove the rating? Trying to figure out if something is happening to people’s ratings….

Dinosara

No, I never rated this one. I did rate and then try to adjust the rating of this one: http://steepster.com/dinosara/posts/184616
But although it initially looks like the rating change has been saved, when I reload the page it defaults to the previous rating (79).

Anna

(But the rating is saved & updated under your ‘Tea ratings’ tab, right? That’s how it works for me.)

Dinosara

Scratch that, even if I change it under the Tea Ratings page, it still shows up as the old rating on the tasting note.

Dinosara

Ok, weirdly enough the rating is showing up as it should (80) on the tea’s page and on the ratings page, but not on my tealog: http://steepster.com/dinosara and the note itself, where it still says 79

Anna

Exactly – that’s how it is for me, too. (FF & Chrome, cache/cookies cleaned out.) Sorry to hijack your review, by the way – I’ll delete this when we’re in post-(te)apocalyptic mode.

momo

Now I’m even sadder this wasn’t a part of that vente privee sale, it’s my favorite fruit, my favorite French pastry/cookie, AND Darjeeling?! Maybe try 180 or so on the temperature.

Jason

Hmm, have to look into those issues. Sorry to be off topic here.

Ysaurella

oh another one I need to look at at Fauchon !

Dinosara

Ysaurella – I really wish I had picked up their new “Naissance” tea… it sounds really good too!

Ysaurella

I see http://www.fauchon.com/fr/naissance.html
it looks like a tea corresponding to my tastes.I’ll have a look at the fauchon shop Place de la Madeleine. Did you go to Hédiard as well (in front, on the other side of the place)? their teas are nice too but a little less expensive

Tina

This tea sounds so interesting and tasty. I’ve been looking at Fauchon teas the whole week and a really looking forward to buy a few teas next time I’m in Paris.

Dear me this tea! I love Steepster so much—I jumped on the Fauchon sale mentioned in the “Misc Sales” thread in an attempt to assuage my Dammann Freres/Frenchy perfumed tea craving. Thinking about it, it’s sorts of nuts how reasonable the teas came out to be—on par with a lot of what I think of as fair-to-midling brands right here (about $3/oz). So that’s awesome. I couldn’t help but internally squee when I opened the package—the tins are so fancy with their indented internal lid chamber and little gold pull. And the perfume. Oh my. Heady, sweet, floral, and sexy. Wonderful. I definitely smell raspberry macaron in the dry leaf.

Steeped, it’s less apparent, but the smell continues to be dreamy. Unsurprisingly the taste is not as crazy as the aroma—how could it be?—but it’s a nice tea that does evoke macarons to me, and raspberry flavoring. I am so not a girly person but ohhh I love the way this smells. My friends wanna do our very first ladylike tea party next weekend (I am SO EXCITED vknlafbvasjdln), and this would be excellent to bring (the hostess loves girly Frenchy gourmet perfumed things; before this arrived I was going to bring my coveted Butiki Champagne and Rose Cream or Rose Violet Calendula Oolong for her sake). Funny part is my husband’s bandmates wanna join in so I’m picturing guys in black gothy metal or horror t-shirts sipping from dainty cups, ha. Friend’s husband promised to make a “vat of chai” for them, so there’s that.

Next time I might try this at a slightly lower temp a la Kusmis. We’ll see. It’s still a lovely cuppa. I could be in the throes of new excitement but my initial impression is I like this more than the Mariage Freres flavored blends I got earlier this year (and these were a heck of a lot more affordable!). Teas like this are always a bittersweet moment for me—when I love them it’s with the knowledge I likely won’t ever be able to restock, alas.

JustJames

i tried the link. nope. i am so let down. i will say dammit now…. but without the energy of anger. =0(

JustJames

i wonder if you would like jarding bleu by dammann?

MissB

So glad that you took advantage of that sale, and the posting! I was told by a staffer at Winners/HomeSense that they’ll be stocking these on a yearly basis, as the companies locally rotate out old stock for the new year’s blends. So… there’s still hope that this may become a yearly thing!

MissB

Oh, and while the cute boxes only say the time to steep and not the temp, I’m finding these do best (the ones I bought) just under boiling.

ifjuly

JustJames, I’d totally be down for swapping some Fauchon for DF! For sure. I’m about to head out for the evening, so if I don’t PM deets right away no worries. Sometime this weekend. If you’re up for it of course—don’t mean to be presumptuous. (:

ifjuly

Thanks for the useful info, MissB! Yeah, I’m getting that impression about some of the Frenchy teas—that they’re becoming more available on a seasonal basis based on turnaround. Which I certainly don’t mind as the tins keep them very fresh and I doubt I’ll have this around for too long, ha. I will try the temp slightly lower and see if that makes it even awesomer. (:

JustJames

sounds good to me! i have a few of them too….

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Oh my gawd I’m soooooooo jealous. I tried the link but it would let me through for some reason. I am drooling just reading this I have always wanted to try these since the day I read about them on steepster last year. :(

MissB

I am missing whatever link you guys are talking about. BrewTEAlly Sweet, I purchased a lot of Fauchon this past week and would be happy to send you some to try out if you’d like. I also bought two tins for Dinosaura and shipped them out to her, although I’d be surprised if there was much left where I am… just Anniversaire and lots of Abricot last I looked.

JustJames

@MissB if you look under the discussion tab at the top there’s a subject header titled something like misc. sale. the only guarantee with them is that i’ll miss them. it’s a tradition, lol.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

@MissB where did you purchase them? I would love to swap you for some. I have a lot to add to my cupboard.

ifjuly

BTS, coming in here just to offer the same. I’d be more than happy to swap or just send you some—it’s the least I can do as a thanks for setting up Secret Pumpkins. If you’re interested feel free to PM me your addy.

ifjuly

(i couldn’t send whole tins as this was my only opportunity so far to get any fauchon—we don’t have winners here—but samples of the 6 i grabbed, to clarify)

MissB

@BrewTEAlly Sweet, I got them at Winners/HomeSense here in Canada; I started a thread about Fauchon in Canada and someone posted in there about where they found them in the US. $12.99 CDN/100g. If you friend me I’ll send you a note. @JustJames – I hear you there, and thanks for the heads up!

MissB

So Fauchon was found in the US at TJ Maxx, The HomeStore, and Marshall’s. The Vente Privee link for the online Fauchon sale only works if you’re in the US, sadly.

CelebriTEA

The tea sounds dreamy and the party sounds FUN!!!

BrewTEAlly Sweet

@ifjuly are you sure?! That would be awesome!!!! Ill PM you! I wish I could find some around me because I am inlove with the tins. It’s just toooooo expensive from the actual website. I hope to find them some day :)
@MissB thank you for the info. I do live in the US idk why it wasn’t working but now it seems to be working :( too late tho

CelebriTEA, yeah! Tea party squee! :D

BTS (do you mind me calling you that? ack), yeah definitely. It’s, yeah, a way to thank you which I’ve wanted to do anyway. I’m sorry the samples can’t be larger sized—I’m guessing 2 or 3 cups each, and I have 6 different kinds—but would love to send you something! This weekend’s kind of nuts but I should be able to send it out by the end of next week if that’s ok.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Whenever!!!! :) you’re doing ME a favor:) don’t apologize!!! :):):):) I’m sooooo excited! And that’s fine (BTS) it’s better than shortening it to brewtall ha ha brew is fine too or Megan ha ha . Ill PM you!

sipdown! i had some of this hot brewed earlier today and then cold steeped the rest. Let’s talk about how that was a bad idea. Don’t do it. I was hoping it would let the flavours come out a bit more…no such luck. Ah well, at least i enjoyed the hot steepings of this one, and i’m really glad to have crossed this off my list! thanks a bunch dinosara!

Haha good to know!

yeah,…stick to uber low HOT water temp

Thanks ifjuly for sending me a sample of this tea. I’ve had a couple of cups of this tonight. We all know that I’m not afraid to call it as I see it, but I’m choosing to reserve judgement. I’m getting some strange impressions tonight. Will drink it again in a couple of days and write something more constructive. For now – Thanks ifjuly – I learn something from every tea experience…
Edit – I know I was going to leave it for a couple of days, but the sample package was sitting on the counter, and here we are again. This is raspberry in the “scented – wafting in the air French sort of way”. I don’t normally read others tasting notes until I’ve tried a tea – my confusion last night would have been alleviated if I had read Dinosara’s note “It had a weird bitter note that was very sharp and I’m not certain wasn’t leftover soap aroma from the pitcher.” That is exactly what I was getting – and I too thought it was a soap contamination – but I’m pretty careful about that so was confused. I steeped today at a lower temp, and while I’m not getting as much of “that” it’s still present. I think it’s something floral I don’t like, and can’t recognize so my brain is saying “soap”. Dunno – this isn’t my favorite of the French teas, but I appreciate the experience. Thanks ifjuly.

ifjuly

I was surprised you mentioned being interested in this one actually—it doesn’t seem to fit into the teas you usually like (it’s so girly and floral! All the Fauchons I’ve tried so far except, interestingly enough, the Naissance you sent me—thank you!!—are very floral perfume-y to me). So I’m curious what you ultimately make of it, hee.

And as you know (I hope) given our earlier conversations, you don’t have to hold any punches reviewing any of the teas I sent. It’s been lots of fun reading your thoughts and will be regardless of whether you love something or hate it, promise!

Dexter3657

girly and floral? LOL that is NOT ME. I am so NOT pink….. I really hope all the Fouchons are not too floral – I have almost 500g of their teas in my house – if they are…. massive care package heading your way.
As for this one, I think I’m having an off night – I’m getting some really weird impressions of this – wouldn’t have said floral… I need to try it again before I commit one way or the other – for right now I like it better cooler rather than hotter….

Dexter3657

I edited this log with more thoughts……

ifjuly

That makes sense to me in that I seem to adore a lot of teas Steepsters dislike for being “soapy”. I think whatever it is, probably yeah a floral element or maybe a kind of fruit peel/bergamot thing, reads to me as “clean and a neat mix of invigorating and soothing” but yeah, straight up soap to most. Have a feeling that’s some weird programmed childhood memory nostalgia thing I don’t fully understand. But I go “aaaaaah” in pleasure to it and most go “ick”. You are not alone!

Dexter3657

Now if I just figure out what it is so that I can avoid it in the future. Whatever it is seems to be more prominent when the tea is really hot, it dissipates as it cools then comes back at lukewarm. There was a point that is was barely there – if I could drink the tea at that temp I would like it a lot better. :))

Dinosara

I don’t think my problem with this one is the flavoring, i just don’t like Darjeeling really. I often get a weird flavor from darjeelings that I can’t get past.

Dexter3657

Hmmmmmmm ok – then I don’t know why I think this is “soapy” – I have lots of Fauchon in my house I haven’t tried yet, will have to see how I do with the others.

Courtesty of boychik… :)

This certainly smells floral enough to knock your socks off. Steeped, it is still really floral. I don’t get any macaron but there is definitely rose and definitely raspberry. I get more rose than raspberry but it’s pretty good nonetheless. A nice girly kind of tea fit for a floral tea party.

I probably overleafed a bit, but I generally do. I took it easy on the steeping and it turned out well. However, I can see how this could easily get yuck at higher temp/longer steep.

boychik

;-) glad you kinda liked it. It is too floral for me.

Nicole

Wow. The cooler it gets, the floral-er it gets. Oof. Not for me unless hot.

ifjuly

i love this one, but yeah, you have to drink it fast (i think it’s gross tepid too!), and be gentle with it steep-wise.

Another gift from boychik :D

Well, this one sure is finicky, isn’t it? I tried to drink this one for the first time on Saturday, but since I steeped it at like 190 degrees for 4 minutes, it came out very bitter. I could tell there was some nice natural raspberry flavor in there somewhere, but it just seemed very oversteeped and bitter/sour!

Today I tried again, a 175-180 degree water steep for around 2 mins 30 seconds. MUCH better! I’m getting the signature Fauchon froofy floral vibe now, with some nice raspberry on top. The raspberry lingers at the end of each sip as if I were eating fresh ones! I can’t seem to figure out what this base tea is, but it is not the typical Fauchon mild black base for sure. I’m not getting any almond, as one would expect from a macaron, but as a raspberry only tea it is successful.

In the end, pretty enjoyable but so extremely finicky I’m not surprised at all by the mixed reviews!

Anna

I started steeping all the Damman Frères (=Fauchon) greens at boiling for 1.5 minutes towards the end of my experimentation – it seemed like the best way to get some flavour all the while avoiding bitterness. Sacrilege, I know.

Weird! haha :)

I blame Lupicia!

boychik

they say its Darjeeling, very finicky. try cold steep maybe

ifjuly

“signature Fauchon froofy floral vibe”—haha, i love it. i know exactly what you mean.

It’s bitter, so bitter that I’m unable to drink it. I dumped the cup. I steep for 3 min 195F. Should I lower the temp more? No rating until I figure out what’s the parameters.

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

Oh man, what a bummer :( Hope you figure it out. This one sounded tasty…

boychik

I had such a high hope. Another thing it’s too flowery for me. Even when I choose perfume I usually avoid lilacs, freesia. I’m more into vanilla almond peach. This tea has very strong perfume.

Stephanie

Bummmer…I’m sure you can find people willing to do swaps with you who would like to try it :)

ifjuly

I am truly the only Steepster who loves this one. Aw. Sorry it’s not working out for you.

boychik

I still want to try with lower temps and maybe shorter steeps

pyarkaaloo

had the same exact experience with this tea! mine also got very bitter & also it’s way too floral for my tastes

boychik

whew, i thought it me. i want to experiment over the weekend. maybe i’ll coldsteep it.
@ifjuly. except for this tea we are basically on the same page;)

ifjuly

i sent samples of this tea to everyone who asked when i first swooned about it, both off and online, and not a single person liked it. then i bought 3 tins of it so i can have as much quality time alone with it as i wish, haha.

boychik

Otoh I am drinking Hazelnut by S&V you send me. It’s like liquid Ferrero Rocher if you have some tiny piece of chocolate . Love it