Peche et Thyme

Black Tea, Papaya, Peach, Peach Flavour, Safflower, Sugar Crystals, Thyme
Edit tea info Last updated by Random Carpe Diem

2 Images

• “So... this is weird. Weird but good? Good but weird? Something like that. The thyme is so strong. Dry, the smell of the peaches come through, but after steeping I mostly get thyme. I added 1/4...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1373 tasting notes
  • “interesting. many years ago i had a recipe for rosemary peach chicken. the first time i made it i scoffed, certain i wouldn't like it. i was wrong. for me this is a savoury tea written on a...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 377 tasting notes
  • “I received samples of this tea from both *MissB* and *OMGsrsly*. Steepster swappers are the best. Tons of people our scrounging for Fauchon teas, and I get samples from two different people. The...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 696 tasting notes
  • “I've had this for a bit, and yet I only have half a tin left. Why? Because I've shared so much with the folks who have shown interest. Now, it's time to see how I feel about it! First off, I...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1108 tasting notes

From Fauchon

The union of juicy peach and fresh thyme envelopes the palate with bright sparkling notes. A truly original and addictive tea.

Limited edition.

Ingredients: black tea (China), natural flavour (peach), papaya (papaya, sugar), peach (peach, rice flour), thyme, safflower.

About Fauchon View company

So… this is weird. Weird but good? Good but weird? Something like that.

The thyme is so strong. Dry, the smell of the peaches come through, but after steeping I mostly get thyme. I added 1/4 tsp sugar to try to bring out some sweetness of the fruit, but I’m not so sure it’s working.

As it cools, the peach comes out a bit. I can see this being an amazing iced tea in the summer. I’ll have to try cold steeping it soon-ish, even though it’s now the cold and rainy season here. :)

(2 tsp in ~15 oz)

MissB

Oh! I’m so glad you tried this. I thought I’d either love it, or really dislike it, even though I do love thyme. Then again, curious combinations are always fun to try. This is on my list for tomorrow.

OMGsrsly

I couldn’t resist! Thyme is pretty much my favourite herb. :) Now I want to roast peaches with honey and thyme. That would be superb. With vanilla ice cream. Mmm…

MissB

Oh, yum! And… now I’m salivating.

OMGsrsly

I made peach jam with rosemary and black pepper last year. SO GOOD. This coming peach season I should do it with thyme and vanilla. :)

Dexter

Wish they had this one at my store… :((

OMGsrsly

Oh, I’ll add some to your package. I haven’t sent it yet because I keep forgetting to bring it to work with me! I’ll put it in my bag now, too.

MissB

Heh. Funny, I’d already added some to your package as well Dexter. :)

MissB

These jams you speak of, can I buy one from you? They sound divine. I try and stay away from sugars where possible, but this sounds like something to break that rule for.

LOL Thanks guys!!!

OMGsrsly

MissB, I just have a wee teensy one left, and you are welcome to it. :) It’s a lower sugar jam with whole pieces of fruit and no pectin. You basically make a candy syrup with the juices from macerated fruit and some sugar, then add the fruit back in towards the end. “Jam according to Daniel”’s recipe.

OMGsrsly

I can in the tiny jars because I just eat it with a spoon. Too much of a hassle to make gluten free bread all the time. :)

MissB

Oh, awesome! You’ll have to tell me how I can repay you. Perhaps a hand knit hat or something? I have yet to can or jam anything, however now you’re inspiring me. And I understand the gluten free bread part, as I do it all the time myself.

OMGsrsly

It’s only 1/2 cup of jam, so no need to go and knit something for me! Try it and see what you think.

yyz

I’m glad to read this. I thought about this tea as well, but I thought that it would be probably be better iced and to be honest I don’t make ice tea very often.

I love those tiny half pots for jam. My mom and I used to make port wine jelly in them for Christmas gifts when I was a child. I used to love it.

interesting. many years ago i had a recipe for rosemary peach chicken. the first time i made it i scoffed, certain i wouldn’t like it. i was wrong.

for me this is a savoury tea written on a subtly sweet base; unassumptive, unimposing….. almost hard to detect at times.

imagine the sweetest peach steeped with a simple syrup and fresh thyme….. original, quite unique.

thank you MissB!

ifjuly

rosemary peach chicken sounds delicious!

JustJames

it didn’t at the time… (thyme? =oP) but it was quite excellent!!! live and learn, lol.

Amariel

I agree, peach and rosemary chicken sounds good!

Fjellrev

At first I thought peaches would be weird, but you know, it kind of makes sense. I think apricot would be even better.

JustJames

that’s an inspired idea Incendiare. i always found that fuzzy stone fruit held a note held a latent tobacco note. sweet, fleshy, very distant down the line…. but a mild raw tobacco nonetheless to my palate.

ifjuly

we’re huge fans of meat/savory + fruit in this household…my favorite chicken tagine recipe has plumped dried apricots in it. earlier this week i made mitchell davis’ recipe for pork chops with apples and prunes plumped in white wine, so good! yum. my obsession with middle eastern and mediterranean and medieval european cuisine is probably showing.

Amariel

SOme of my favorite curries are fruit curries. I’ve addd apple, butternut squash, raisins and apricots before. Great combination. When I as visiting with my brother last month, we made something very much like this, only the vinaigrette was with lime juice, and shallots, iirc.

We had chicken with it and it was a good combination of flavours.

ifjuly

yummmm! lime and shallot sounds really good. and i love butternut squash with raisins!

Mmm, now I’m hungry.

ifjuly-I made peach tartines (open faced sandwich, essentially) with thyme goat cheese over the summer…so yummy. I can try to find the recipe if you like.

MissB

Glad you enjoyed it, or at least that it evoked some fond memories. :)

JustJames

i did enjoy it! i want to fool with it some more… ;o)

MissB

I think OMGsrsly was saying she’s made a jam like this. Makes me dream every time I think of it.

OMGsrsly

Peach and rosemary jam. AMAZING.

ifjuly

Heather, I’d love that! Sounds so so good (and my husband LOVES goat cheese).

Amariel

Ok ifjuly, here you go! I actually found this because OMGsrsly posted it on FB…

I received samples of this tea from both MissB and OMGsrsly. Steepster swappers are the best. Tons of people our scrounging for Fauchon teas, and I get samples from two different people. The generosity here is just amazing.

I don’t think I can say it better than OMGsrsly did:
“So… this is weird. Weird but good? Good but weird? Something like that.”
I am really happy to have gotten a chance to try this. If it had been in my Winners store, I would have bought a tin of it. I think I’m ok with not having a 100g tin of it in my house, on the other hand, it is interesting enough that I will drink and enjoy the samples I have.
I’m getting more peach than thyme. It’s more scented than flavored (as I would expect from a French tea) – the peach is really nice and sweet, subtle but present. The thyme is more of an impression (hint of), but is nice with the peach. But it’s still strange enough that I wouldn’t drink it everyday.

Thank you so much ladies for sending this to me.

OMGsrsly

You’re welcome! I still need to try it iced. I think it would shine as an iced tea.

Dexter

I agree, but I can’t do iced tea in the winter, and I’m sure the samples won’t last til spring. :))

JustJames

i haven’t tried mine yet….. i’m trying to be self disciplined. yeah, we’ll see how long that lasts! lol.

Try it, James! :D

JustJames

oy! i’m pretty good!! lol. sugar free for over a month! my clothes will testify, lol. =0D

MissB

See, great minds think alike! :)

I’ve had this for a bit, and yet I only have half a tin left. Why? Because I’ve shared so much with the folks who have shown interest. Now, it’s time to see how I feel about it!

First off, I love savory teas, as well as sweet ones. Combine the two? I’m curious and excited. Plus, OMGsrsly’s reviews really got me curious, as well as her mention of peach and thyme jam. Oh… my mouth is watering.

So, I tried this. Made sure I steeped it properly, the works.

Dry, this smells more like thyme than peach. Steeped, it reverses. It was okay straight (more thyme than anything, almost like a stuffing or savory Christmas pudding?), however with some sweetener added, this was stellar for me. Luscious, juicy peach with a hint of thyme mid-way through to the end. Really, truly delightful, and very different.

If you like savory sweets (I’m thinking jams with savory elements like jalapeno jelly, for instance) then you’ll likely love this tea. Less is also more, with both heat and steep time.

Amariel

I definitely need sweetener with this one, and it was quite an interesting flavour…something I think Id cook with more than drink, though. I have more of your sample, so we’ll see if I still feel that way with a future cup of this.

Try it iced. :)

Amariel

I have kinda had that idea, and stashing it for a not so cold time. Maybe a cold steep though.

OMGsrsly

I haven’t done a cold steep, but flash iced with honey = yes please. Maybe I’ll bring some to work tomorrow. :)

1913 tasting notes

This is not a tea I would have normally gone after but a friend bought a tin the other day at TJ Maxx because she loves thyme. I told her that I had heard that the thyme was super strong, but she was not to be swayed. She stopped by this morning and said she didn’t think the thyme was too strong and gave me a sample to try. So I am taking a break from my short list of sipdown teas to have this one. It certainly smells strongly of thyme!

I associate thyme with savory things like the chicken pot pie I made recently, so it’s a bit odd here. But I can definitely smell the sweet juiciness of the peaches under the thyme. I agree that this is weird, and for me, who is not totally in love with thyme, I am going to say “not bad” instead of “good”, haha. I agree that as it cools it gets peachier and the thyme cools down a bit, but it’s a bit too “herby” for me. This is definitely an “if you love thyme…” type of tea!

yyz

I kind of passed on this tea too. I like time but the idea of the blend kind of made me think that it would do better iced than hot and I don’t ice my teas very often.

ifjuly

oh, i wanna try this. must make my way to tj maxx sometime. i love fresh thyme and peach salad in the summer, yum.

OMGsrsly

I love thyme. :) Still need to try it cold brewed, but I think it’s good hot and iced.

cteresa

goodness, that sounds strange. But still a very curious mix indeed!

and lol what is it with these french and mixing peach with other flavours in tea? I got a peach and pepper tea which is kinda of sublime.

OMGsrsly

cteresa, I made peach jam with all sorts of things in it last year. The peach and pepper jam was so good! I think it disappeared the fastest. :)

cteresa

In the tea it works fabulously (and they added a hint of nutmeg to it as well, it was all wonderful!)

Peach and Thyme… what a strange combination. Fear not though, we cannot doubt the French and their perfume combinations… right??

At first sniff: I smell the peach, delicious peach. I catch notes of the thyme, but not overpowering and the sweetness of the peach enhances the sweet parts of the thyme. Definitely not offensive and it definitely works well together.

At first steep: THYME THYME… did I mention you can really smell the thyme? Wowzers!! The taste is less intense, but with the sniff and the taste, you really can taste the thyme and it takes over a bit. The peach is the second note, which is a bit disappointing. It’s definitely a different tea. Although the French are on point with the smell of the tea, I’m not sure the taste is as good. I definitely would have been happier with a peaches and cream taste, rather than a peach gravy? With Thanksgiving and Christmas in the air, I could see this tea going extremely well with turkey dinner. It would be an excellent sweet component if cream and sugar are added.

I like this tea, I’m not sure I love this tea. I have 100g of it now and one beautiful fuchsia tin. I don’t feel badly paying 12.99 for it though because I definitely taste that the tea is quality. I probably wouldn’t replace it when the “thyme” comes. ha ha

Ysaurella

Apricot, peach are going very well with rosemary and thyme. You’re right this is not a surprising thing for a French person.
We all here have a Grandma’s recipe of chicken with honey and rosemary and thyme.

Tuscanteal

That’s interesting. I didn’t know that it was s common combination for the French!!!! I’ll will definitely give it another go though as it wasn’t bad. Just new.

Definitely not something we would pair here in Canada. But when I visited France I loved everything there anf miss it!!!

Backlog:

I got this sample from MissB because I was intrigued after OMGsrsly tried it.

I have to say that the peach to thyme balance was pretty good, and the base was not too overpowering. I think that I might like this just a bit better as a cold steep, so I’m reserving the rest of it for then…then being a warmer day…I don’t do a lot of cold drinks in winter, or much at all (I think my body composition is happier without a lot of icy cold drinks).

This tea does totally make me want to make the peach and goat cheese tartine that I made over the summer…the goat cheese is spiked with fresh thyme, and the peaches on top got a small dusting of fresh leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.

I also learned of this recipe from OMGsrsly so she is two for two with this combo!

Here is my attempt at it from the summer, plus a salad and some arctic char…

OMGsrsly

:D Awesome! I still need to try the recipe. I have goat cheese in the freezer, but no peaches.

Received this sample from OMGsrsly and I have to say! I was a little put off by the idea, so I didn’t rush to try it or anything.

I love thyme, but I love it in my homemade soups and meat dishes. I didn’t think I’d love to drink it.

So I trepidatiously brewed it up earlier. Figured I loved La Naissance and surprisingly enjoyed Un Soir de France so who am I to have any kind of tea prejudice?

I admit, it was odd, and I felt odd that I kind of enjoyed it. It’s peachy and thymey, I find both pretty equal, though maybe less thyme would make that more of an accent than half the cup, which is how it is now, to me anyway.

It was smooth and fullbodied as these French teas always seem to be, and fresh tasting.

It would certainly never occur to me to put those two flavours together, but then again I’m no fancy French master tea blender – for more reasons than one. Including that I’m neither fancy nor French.

But, they work together, in a weird sort of way.

It’s almost like it was created on a dare – “I challenge you to put two absurdly mismatched flavours together to concoct a tasty tea!”

- “I accept that challenge… SHABAM! Drink your heart out.” Or however the French say “SHABAM!”

So, thank you to OMGsrsly for sending me something that it would otherwise never have occurred to me to try. Still not something I would need to own, but cool to taste!

I <3 Steepsterites!

Cameron B.

This actually sounds amazing. I love thyme! And it does have a certain lemony flavor that could go well with peaches… Hmm… Those crazy frenchies may be on to something!

TheTeaFairy

Never tried with thyme, but I make a delicious peach & rosemary iced tea in the summer…

TheTeaFairy

Oh and I AM French (Canadian), so that might explain things, lol :-)

whatshesaid

Technically my mom is French Canadian so maybe that’s why I didn’t hate it ;)

I like peaches and I like rosemary, just never thought to combine the two!

;-)
This is how I do it. I cold brew the best peach tea I know, (Juicy Peach from Teajo) with some frozen sliced peaches, a small piece of fresh ginger, a stick of rosemary and a little maple syrup. To this day, I have never tasted a more delicious iced tea!

OMGsrsly

Grilled peaches with thyme and honey. For reals. :)

whatshesaid

Thanks for the tips!! I may have to try these things :)

From the queue

MissB shared a sample of this one with me, and for those who don’t speak French (I don’t; I looked it up), the name is ‘peach and thyme’. Thyme! I’ve never had a tea that had thyme in it before, but I like using thyme in cooking so this is very exciting. I did actually see a different tea recently which had raspberry and thyme which I found somewhat interesting, but wasn’t brave (or rich! Exorbitant price!) enough to purchase. If this one is a success, I may go back to that shop and get some. Is thyme the new fashion ingredient?

The dry leaf smells… peculiar, but lovely. Herb-y fruit? Fruit-y herbs? It’s not really fully recognisable as thyme or as peach, but something in between which smells thouroughly weird. Weird, but lovely. I’ve been sniffing at the bag for several minutes now.

After steeping, the thyme is quite easily recognised in the aroma. It rather reminds me of spaghetti sauce to the point where I caught myself attempting to detect tomato. I couldn’t, for obvious reasons. The peach, however, appears to have gone into hiding. Perhaps it’s shy. I can tell that there’s something else in there, but it’s not really coming out to play. I can’t really tell anything about the base tea at all, though.

The flavour is quite the opposite of the aroma. Where it smells a lot like thyme and not so much like fruit, it tastes a lot like peach and less like thyme. The first sip gave me a ‘yeah, this is peach tea alright’ sort of experience. It has rather clear herb-y overtones, but to my surprise there is actually harmony between the herb and the fruit. I confess I wasn’t entirely convinced that this was possible. The idea of it just seems so bizarre. Like basil ice cream. But it works. It really works.

I’m very pleased with this. It’s a very interesting and pleasant flavour and I’m definitely feeling much more inclined to go and try that raspberry thyme tea I saw now. This is great.

MissB

Oh, yay! I’m so glad you enjoyed this, and that it’s prompted you to try other thyme teas. I’ve liked all of Fauchon’s blends so far.