Lemon Basil Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by moraiwe

1 Tasting Note View all

• “~I guess this is kind of a double review, because I finally got around to snooping in semi-local teashops. Fava Tea Co. is about 30ish minutes from home for me, but worth the trip. They have 300 or...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes

From Fava Tea Co.

Formosa oolong tea blended with lemon granules and basil to make this unique blend which has become a jewel of our oolong tea selection. Makes an excellent hot tea and goes well with chicken or fish. Try it cold for a refreshing herbacious blend.

About Fava Tea Co. View company

1 Tasting Note

I guess this is kind of a double review, because I finally got around to snooping in semi-local teashops. Fava Tea Co. is about 30ish minutes from home for me, but worth the trip. They have 300 or so blends and some neat flavored rock sugars (actually think the lemon one would be amazing in this). The associates were super friendly and it was really just a fun experience!

There’s also a teashop opening much closer (5ish minutes away) this weekend that I’m super hyped to scope out.

But onto the tea!

I really like teas with herbs like this. They have a kind of savory flavor depth offered by the herb. This was no exception. :)

I brewed this double strong hot, and then served it iced. The base was nice and raisin-y, but there were no clear toasted notes, but maybe a little bit of light earthiness. The basil offered a nice green layer of flavor that really complemented the dry fruitiness present. It also paired well with the lemon, making it more refreshing than I had initially expected with the base.

The lemon flavor was spot on and natural tasting. Maybe a little sharper than I was expecting, but it wasn’t overpowering in anyway. It was definitely the star of this cup, but it did help bring everything together for a lovely, cohesive and well-executed idea. I’m usually averse to the idea of sweeteners, and this doesn’t necessarily need any, but I would like to try this with honey (or rock sugar) and see what it does to the flavor profile.

I’m excited to try this warm. It kind of reminds me of something I’d drink when I was a little down. It’s lemony and bright and comforting.

JustJames

oooo, dunno if i would like this, but there is an element of intrigue! lol.

moraiwe

It was just intriguing enough I had to impulse buy it. But I’m finding herbs in tea aren’t nearly as weird as they sound.