Lishan High Mt. Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Fong Mong Tea

• “I used 3g - half the sample - 12oz water at about 85C for 6 minutes. The smell of the wet leaf is vegetal like steamed broccoli. The liquor in the cup is orange yellow in color. The taste is a bit...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1314 tasting notes
  • “The first tea to go into my yixing pot! I'd been saving my samples from Fong Mong Tea until I got one. Here it is! https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/315454_3587175127038_22846941_n.jpg...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1199 tasting notes
  • “This smells like a fresh summer meadow! It's a greener tasting Lishan-Oolong - that's for sure! I'm totally ok with that, too, btw! Mostly green-oolong-tasting...slightly vegetal, slightly...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: An excellent LiShan oolong. I've really been very happy with all of the teas that I've tried from Fong Mong. This has a wonderful flavor: sweet with a delicious creamy tone. Flowery...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4391 tasting notes

From FONG MONG TEA SHOP

Lishan High Mountain Oolong Tea is one of the most unique and highest quality Oolong. Grown in the Li Mountains of Taiwan, this tea is harvested at the elevation of 1200 meters in an isolated area. Due to the cold weather and relatively harsh environments, the plants grow at a very slow rate and in small quantity. The tea is either harvested during the winter or summer and sometimes only once during the entire year. After the harvest, the leaves are carefully handled and aerated during the long ride to the nearest tea maker. Despite the difficult growing conditions, the leaves are selected as the highest quality of Oolong.

Brewing tips:

The water used to steep this tea should be about 85-90 degree Celsius. Use about 3 grams of tea leaves for about every 150c.c. of water. A steeping time of about 6 minutes is recommended with more or less time depending on the desired concentration. As a rough guide, the higher the temperature of the water or the greater the amount of leaves used, the shorter the steeping time should be. The tea leaves should uncurl for full flavor.

For the ultimate enjoyment, a traditional Chinese ceramic (pottery) teapot is recommended for loose oolong tea. The teapot should be half filled with leaves and initially steeped for 45 seconds to 1 minute with the steeping time increased by an additional 15 seconds for each successive steeping. The leaves may be brewed for multiple times.

About FONG MONG TEA SHOP View company

I used 3g – half the sample – 12oz water at about 85C for 6 minutes. The smell of the wet leaf is vegetal like steamed broccoli. The liquor in the cup is orange yellow in color. The taste is a bit sweet and floral. As I understand it this tea is grown along with pear trees so it will absorb the sweet fragrance of the fruit. This is a lightly oxidized tea with no hint of smoke or roastiness. It is slightly astringent but not bitter. I notice it is leaving my lips feeling numb and tingly. The aftertaste is very fresh and green. As I continue to sip, I notice the mouth feel has a light milky quality and the taste is mildly buttery.

I got three steeps. This is pretty tasty. I wish I had done my homework before tasting this as realizing the scarcity and difficult conditions in which it is grown would have enhanced the experience.

The first tea to go into my yixing pot! I’d been saving my samples from Fong Mong Tea until I got one. Here it is! https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/315454_3587175127038_22846941_n.jpg It’s not even the one I ordered but that’s okay, I like this one better than that one!

I put the entire sample in, aiming for 1g of tea to 1 oz of water. Steeped it for about 40 seconds. This first steep is light but so sweet. It almost reminds me of a milk oolong. Very creamy, and just really really sweet.

Second steep! Now that the leaves are opening up a lot the volume is right where I want it. I’m pouring into a 6 oz cup and now it’s perfect. The liquor looks like I’m steeping a green tea rather than an oolong.

The second steep is very floral and also very green. I’m getting pepper, really reminiscent of pink peppercorns. The third steep is very similar, with a bit less of the pepper. It makes for a really intriguing combination with the floral flavors, that’s for sure.

More to come, it’s time to stop procrastinating on a paper for at least 20 minutes!

Invader Zim

Very nice yixing teapot! I like the bamboo accent on it.

LiberTEAS

very nice teapot, indeed. It reminds me just a bit of one of my yixing mugs.

TeaBrat

oooh! Nice teapot, me likey!

Azzrian

very nice! It is better than the one you ordered :) happy accident!

momo

thank you guys! I do like a happy accident!

Daniel Scott

Congrats on the pot! It’s exciting to take home yixing. I haven’t even used mine because I can’t make up my mind what to put in it.

I love the lid, it’s gorgeous.

Bonnie

Very nice pot!

This smells like a fresh summer meadow!

It’s a greener tasting Lishan-Oolong – that’s for sure! I’m totally ok with that, too, btw!

Mostly green-oolong-tasting…slightly vegetal, slightly floral, a speck of pepper taste! Energizing! YAY! Feels like Freedom in a Cup!

Backlog:

An excellent LiShan oolong. I’ve really been very happy with all of the teas that I’ve tried from Fong Mong. This has a wonderful flavor: sweet with a delicious creamy tone. Flowery and I can taste notes of apple, with vegetative tones that reveal themselves in later infusions. The later infusions also reveal some spice tones.

A really, really good Oolong.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/09/20/taiwan-lishan-high-mountain-oolong-wulong-tea-fong-mong-tea/