Monkey Picked Ti Kuan Yin

Green Oolong Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaSnob

• “I am quite surprised at how good this tea is. I picked up a 7 ounce tin at a local store for 8 dollars and wasn't expecting much. Tastes just as good as more expensive versions I've tried and at a...” Read full tasting note
    dborregoa 30 tasting notes
  • “The aroma is very mild and lovely, a mixture of green, roasted, and honeysuckles. It reminds me of the way my kitchen smells after I make my own Hojicha. The taste is mild for a Ti Kuan Yin and...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 412 tasting notes
  • “As you can see it is a beautiful orange color that is not too far off from the color of the table we have in the living room. Warm and inviting, the Ti Kuan Yin is somewhere between a green tea...” Read full tasting note
    TeaSnobbery 20 tasting notes

From foojoy

Product description not available yet.

About foojoy View company

I am quite surprised at how good this tea is. I picked up a 7 ounce tin at a local store for 8 dollars and wasn’t expecting much. Tastes just as good as more expensive versions I’ve tried and at a fraction of the cost. It has the usual caramel and fig undertones this type of tea offers and re-steeps well. In a gaiwan the 2nd infusion is the best (the 3rd if you count the rinse).

The taste is mild for a Ti Kuan Yin and more green than floral. The initial taste is a toasty green with hints of floral, as the taste fades you are left with sweetness. Delightful. I would not say this is my favorite Ti Kuan Yin, but I could certainly be content drinking this every day when I am craving the really pricey stuff.

As you can see it is a beautiful orange color that is not too far off from the color of the table we have in the living room. Warm and inviting, the Ti Kuan Yin is somewhere between a green tea and and a black tea.

It smells brisk and strong with musky undertones. After the tea has been poured out of the aroma cup the cup still smells kind of bitter. I’m a little worried I may let it brew a little too long. As the bitter smell quickly fades away, a fruit smell replaces it. If I close my eyes I can see myself in the middle of a fruit orchard. There are green apples, pears, red grapes and it smells like there might also be lychee. Coming back to it one more time, the smells have once more dissipated and changed and the aroma cup now smells like fresh baked apple pie, with lots of butter and no cinnamon or other spices to muss up the taste of the pie. I could probably keep this up all night on the one brew, so I am going to stop here and move on to the actual tea, but remember when drinking this to regularly check in on the smell of the tea as the smells in the cup will change.

The tea is rather brisk and sharp, but not necessarily in an unpleasant way. Next time I will let it brew for a little less time. This tea has a distinct taste of baked red apples. If anyone has ever done this before, some of the apple caramelizes as it bakes and makes it a little sweeter than normal, there are definitely caramel undertones to this tea. Taking a large mouthful gives a slightly different taste. It has a rich, nutty taste.

For the full review go to my blog: http://teasnobbery.com/2010/07/23/tea-review-foojoy-monkey-picked-ti-kuan-yin/