Baked Bread, Peach, Sweet, Tannic
Edit tea info Last updated by Teresa Sousa

From Fortnum & Mason

Created in 1907, our bicentenary year, this popular blend commemorates the reigning sovereign in the year that Fortnum & Mason first began. The smooth blend of carefully selected TGFOP Assam and Ceylon FBOP teas produces a strong, smooth tea that is refreshing at any time of day.

Taste and Strength
Smooth, bright and refreshing

When to Drink
Ideal at any time of day

Assam and Ceylon

Brewing Information
Use boiling water and brew for 3-5 minutes depending on taste. Serve with milk or brew lighter and drink without milk.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

Morning tea! i figured that i should really get around to trying the rest of my F&M teas since my parents are headed to london in a few weeks and are already asking me what i’d like them to bring back. Not that i need more tea but it’s an “easy” solution to things.

I sort of cheated with this one today and added a splash of maple syrup..so i’ll have to rate this later when i have it straight but so far, this is a decent cup that i quite enjoyed!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Sil :)
If you want tea London’s definitely the place to go – I’d ask for tons if I were you!

Omg, so jealous that you have tea transporters from London! Please let me know if you’d like me to likewise “help you” take advantage of your parents! ;) ;)

keychange – is there something you’re after that you really want to try?
Yvonne – i actually really want to go to FRANCE (not that i haven’t already been multiple times, but not since i fell in love with tea) London is for Dr who and the BBC hahaha

London is also a great place for MF, although didn’t you say there’s mf in Canada also? I’m going to break into my mf teas very soon, and then I’m thinking I might want to do a little restockeroo of some of them. And I’m in the market to try a few f and m teas also…how posh LOL

I’ve told my eldest that one day we will sit in some lovely high end tea shoppe in France, sipping tea, just because we can. (And then I’ll buy up so much tea I’ll have to ship it back home separately, however that’s a whole other conversation!)

Keychange – i’m happy to do a swap with you sometime so you can try some of the french teas in my cupboard. :)

MissB…me! me! take me!

I could probably fit in some luggage if you ever decided to take me along :D This way we can all go and save on plane tickets!

haha i dunno how you’d get back though yvonne…the second suitcase will be full of tea :)

How thoughtful, Sil! I actually have a few French teas, thanks to justjames, although I’m not sure how easily they can be found in London—so far I’ve tried a few from mf and df. Would they be able to get me some mf? Will you be getting some mf also? and we can totally swap. There’s nothing in my cupboard you can’t have :D

I have been away from Steepster for so long! Sigh, have been too busy to taste tea properly lately…

I am happy that when I finally have the time to do so, I am rewarded with a great cup! It’s smooth, brisk, and aromatic. It reminds me of the endless cups of wonderful Ceylon teas that I had when I visited Tea Trails in Sri Lanka last year. It’s unusual for me to like plain black tea so much but it is just THAT good. :)

welcome back ! hope to see more reviews soon :)

thanks so much, Ysaurella :)

Fortnum & Mason has several breakfast blends; out of all their “Famous” tea line, I’d say this is my least favorite. It is the most harsh (I tend to like smooth or crisp teas) of their teas. It has a bit of malt, and a good amount of bitter, and other dark flavors.

I think all of their teas are of excellent quality; just not to my personal taste. I would encourage people to try their teas, especially if you like breakfast type blends. If not, try their Grey teas (Earl Grey, Countess Grey, etc)

2039 tasting notes

Some tea bags from MissB! :) Thank you.

I brewed this as usual, and am (OMG) having it plain. I can’t even.

It’s pretty good. A little astringent though. I definitely wouldn’t steep this at boiling.

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 45 sec 16 OZ / 473 ML

Sipdown (122)!

Thanks MissB! Sadly this marks the last of the tea blends from you, but probably just as well given I have samples that predate your package (from months ago) that I need to try as well.

I wish I was finishing things up on a positive note, but I really wasn’t a fan of this one. It had some nicer malt/bread notes that I can see going well with milk and sugar but it was also very, very astringent and bitter and more-so read to me as a lower quality, generic bagged black tea. Not so much my thing…

Alas, you can’t love ’em all! And this is one less thing in my cupboard.

And now bed time, since it’s nearly 4AM…

Backlog time! Sorry everyone, posting a lot fairly quickly. Taking advantage of downtime while visiting Ottawa (it’s too cold to walk around, so we’re lounging and relaxing instead).

Thanks to MissB for these teabags – they’ve been a lifesaver at work lately, since I haven’t had much time to brew tea at home, and all my infusers are still full (and a big hassle to bring to work). Bonus – I have some time to write notes and email them to myself, although I admit I’m in a rather distracting environment, so the quality of the notes may not be all that wonderful.

I drank this tea completely blind, meaning that I have no idea at all what it was, other than a black tea. As it turns out – a fairly pleasant black tea! I still have no real idea what it was (I’m writing this tasting note without regular internet access), but I had a sip plain, and it tasted like a reasonably high-quality bagged black. I drank the rest with a splash of 2% milk and some sugar, and it was really quite tasty. A very good example of a bagged black. I’m curious to see which teas it’s a blend of (if that info is available).

From the GCTTB3.

This one came in bag form. I was anticipating it to be either bitter or astringent.

But it wasn’t. It was actually quite smooth. The black base is very bold and strong, with only a slight but of astringency. There is a creamy quality to the tea, which was nice as I was anticipating having to add some milk.

Better than I expected for a tea bag.

Thanks MissB!
I had this a few days ago. Backlog.
SOoooooo peach?? Nu uh. I don’t get it.
Baked bread? Yes, that makes sense to me! A pleasant cuppa. On the mild side. I’d buy it, maybe

This was one of several individually wrapped tea bags that Sil thoughtfully included as bonuses in her “swap” package (she never told me what she would like in return!). I don’t usually gravitate toward black tea blends for whatever reason, so I’m glad others see fit to send me samples of them! This one is apparently a blend of Ceylon and Assam. Mine is a traditional paper tea bag, so obviously the leaves are extremely broken. Dry scent is mildly fruity.

This is actually quite good for such small leaf pieces! Fannings, really. It’s not bitter or astringent, which surprised me a lot. It does have a bit of that “generic” tannic quality to it, but it’s softened by some lovely soft stonefruit, specifically peach, notes. There’s also a tiny bit of breadiness to it. Overall, pretty good, especially for a tea bag.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Peach, Sweet, Tannic

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Send her a bit of everything to try and explode her cupboard! :D

Yeah that!

Last tea of the night since it’s getting rather late.
This is nice on the front of the sip, but horribly bitter at the back. I can’t really even drink it. And the astringency is pretty awful. Maybe it’s an error on my part, but I didn’t do anything off the company’s suggestion except maybe brew a smidge cooler than recommended.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML