Royal Blend

Baked Bread, Malt, Raisins, Astringent, Heavy
Edit tea info Last updated by joriba
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 5 g 11 oz / 324 ml

• “Eeeeew, what did I do wrong today? I steeped for three min, and last time I oversteeped but it was surprisingly good. I doubt that is why, as this tasted stale and dusty, with a funky aftertaste....” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1326 tasting notes
  • “Woke up early to go for a run (yes, on a Saturday. I know), and had a strong cup of this brewed with milk-and-sugar to give me a good morning kick. It's an OK tea. For the price, I was expecting...” Read full tasting note
    NofarS 412 tasting notes
  • “This tea is ok. It's not great. It's strong and other than that I can't pick much else up. It's better with sugar. It sorta needs sugar. Yikes. It's a Monday sorta tea. You know what I did...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Sil* for this sample! This tea is heavy on the Assam, so I had to add milk and Truvia to calm things down a bit. It’s much more drinkable this way. Five minutes later and I can feel...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 531 tasting notes

From Fortnum & Mason

First blended for King Edward VII in the summer of 1902, Royal Blend blends Assam with a touch of Ceylon for a smooth, almost honey-like flavour. It can be drunk all day, with milk, producing the perfect traditional cup of tea.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

…very strong flavors. I guess the explanation of it’s profound taste lays within the fact that King Edward VII was a heavy smoker. Anyways, I do like it on my palate and love the awakening effect. I do recomment to try this tea with a slice of lemon. That transforms this blend into a refreshing summer tea. The Assam will still be able to push through nicely.

Reserving judgement on this tea until I give it another go. Had it with breakfast with milk and sugar. Maybe with honey it’ll be better.

An old standby, it is always a good, solid choice, but never an exciting one.

An enjoyable blend for the morning cup. I drank it without milk. It was pungent and strong. No distinctive flavor that jumps out or lingers. A good choice if you want a standard English style black tea that is of sufficient quality to drink without milk.

This is my current favorite tea-with-milk staple. It’s bright and robust with no bitterness. We bought a decorative tin of it with the Jubliee Tea decorative tin online from F&M and I’m re-ordering this one in bulk and trying some of their other teas.

A good cup of tea. Nothing splashy or fancy.

Traditional tea without any wow factor at all

Very smooth but good with milk and sugar

A proper English black tea. I infused this twice in my teapot I got from the London teapot company. The liquor is a warm amber color and the full-bodied taste has a malty, fresh baked bread quality to it. It’s a rustic tea that is great for cold mornings when you need to wake up and crave an acceptable splash of cream.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Raisins

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 5 g

Sipdown 1 of 2 today! Despite being alarmingly old (2 years, 3 years maybe?), it held up well to the very end. Maltiness is reduced, but still there. A bit vegetal from the Ceylon (or age). Balance was starting to be off a bit. This was a versatile tea, good for when I wanted a solid unflavored black, great as a base for my homemade chai. I’ll probably get more eventually, but I’ve got so many other teas, plus so many more I’d like to try, it may be awhile.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML