Rose Pouchong

Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Rose
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

2 Images

From Fortnum & Mason

Roses and tea go beautifully together, whether as a setting or a fragrance. In this specialty of China, rose petals are interleaved with the tea as it dries and a few are left in for decoration, ensuring that the visual appearance matches the aromatic.

Tea caddy description:

Fine grade, large-leaf Maofeng Keemun is naturally scented with freshly picked rose petals. The scenting process is repeated many times to ensure a high intensity of rose flavor that blanances the dark chocolate, caramel sweetness of the tea. Inevitable comparison is with the classical flavours of Turkish Delight.

Taste & strength
Fragrant and delicate.

When to drink
Best in the afternoon.

Origin
China

Brewing information
Best drunk without milk to fully appreciate the delicate flavour.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

Fabulously fragrant while you wait for it to steep, and equally wonderful on the palate when sipped. Not to be missed, light and refreshing and totally uplifting.

Delicate, but with a lovely scent and taste. Probably the nicest rose-flavoured tea I’ve tasted.

A formerly London-based friend served this up to me. She prepared it loose cup-by-cup. First the smell is lovely and aromatic, The taste is quite full with a strong but pleasant aftertaste. I’ve heard that it can be served with a splash of milk, which I will have to try. I’ve never had a light pouchong before, which I will have to try and compare this to!

Smell is rich and muscatal with a hint of rose. Fortnum & Mason has this as a black tea on their website, and while the brew is a deep red-orange, it just doesn’t have the same bite or body of any black teas I’ve tried. Very smooth. I’m used to very light pouchongs which fall under the oolong category, so this was a nice change.

Oh, Fortnum & Mason, you confuse me sometimes. This is listed as a black tea, and while it does posses qualities that I would ascribe to a light black base the actual tea name says pouchong. I swear that’s a tea that straddles the line between green tea and oolong; it’s one of the reasons I bought this in London.

But then the description on the back of my tin says “large-leaf Maofeng Keemun”, which is a floral black tea. I’m going to assume that’s what it is, as all physical tea evidence points in that direction (dark leaves, red broth, chocolatey floral base with slight astringency).

I can’t say I’m too disappointed in this not being an actual pouchong , which may have been a little light to handle the lovely rose notes. The keemun is actually quite pleasant and smooth.

Flavors: Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Rose