Darjeeling FTGFOP

Edit tea info Last updated by NofarS

• “Another Sipdown from my trade with *NofarS*. I think I'm starting to get the hang of Darjeelings. I steeped this at 190, & it's not bad. I think I gave it 2 mins. The aroma reminds me of...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3002 tasting notes
  • “mmmm i like this one! even though it has a little astringency to it, it's not unpleasant. I could get behind drinking this one on a more regular basis if i needed a darjeeling to add to the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5049 tasting notes
  • “This tea brews to a reddish gold colour that has a pronounced yet not unpleasant astringency to it. It is has the muscatel flavours that F&M advertise, but if you like your tea with milk or don't...” Read full tasting note
    NofarS 403 tasting notes
  • “It is not said that which estate or which flush this tea from. I guess it's a blend so the flavour might vary every year. The one I got is an old one that expires in autumn of 2013 (which I got it...” Read full tasting note
    narraboth1 8 tasting notes

From Fortnum & Mason

In tea as in wine, challenging growing conditions often yield the most highly prized specimens. This champagne of teas, harvested from the foothills of the Himalayas, is one of the highest-grown teas, from bushes more than a century old. Made from leaf tips of the highest quality, it has a subtle Muscatel taste and a full-bodied and robust character.

Taste and Strength
Subtle muscatel flavours

When to Drink
Best in the afternoon
Origin
Darjeeling
Brewing Information
Use boiling water and brew for 3-5 minutes depending on taste. Serve with milk or brew lighter and drink without milk.
Storage advice
Airtight container, preferably a tea caddy.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

Another Sipdown from my trade with NofarS.
I think I’m starting to get the hang of Darjeelings. I steeped this at 190, & it’s not bad. I think I gave it 2 mins. The aroma reminds me of something, but I just can’t say what it is. The tea a little on the astringent side, but also kind of sweet & savory at the same time.
Not something I would want to drink regularly, but worth trying.

Dexter

Hmmmmm interesting. I might try mine again with lower water temp. I was using 95C (203F).

TeaBrat

Yeah I usually steep mine at that temp as well, they are much better that way. ;)

Darjeelings = lower temp as far as I can tell otherwise they taste…ugh.

Terri HarpLady

Even with the lower temp, this got more astringent as it cooled. Just saying.

TeaBrat

I had one assam from Fortnum & Mason and I wasn’t too impressed with it

mmmm i like this one! even though it has a little astringency to it, it’s not unpleasant. I could get behind drinking this one on a more regular basis if i needed a darjeeling to add to the rotation. I still think that i’d rather drink a straight up black tea most days though.

Ysaurella

you’re in a darjeeling trip today ?

a little bit yes. I have a bunch of darjeeling samples to try so i’m working through all of them today :)

This tea brews to a reddish gold colour that has a pronounced yet not unpleasant astringency to it. It is has the muscatel flavours that F&M advertise, but if you like your tea with milk or don’t enjoy teas with a kick then perhaps you would do better buying one of F&M’s other brews. As a Darjeeling this tea is good, it just isn’t very memorable.

It is not said that which estate or which flush this tea from. I guess it’s a blend so the flavour might vary every year. The one I got is an old one that expires in autumn of 2013 (which I got it half-price).
I think lower temp works for me for fine darjeeling tea. When using slightly lower temp, I found this tea has an elegant smell and soft sweetness, astringency basically not exist. A light sweetness stays at throat but not too strong. More ‘easy-drinking’ than certain more expensive estate darjeeling. The best temp to drink is when it’s warm.
Very happy about this tea.