Assam Superb Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by joriba

From Fortnum & Mason

Assam tea, indigenous to India’s steamy Brahmaputra Valley, is one of the world’s oldest varieties. The aptly named Assam Superb has the rich, dark liquor and smooth, round, malty flavour prized by the connoisseur. Full of body and flavour, it is ideal at any time of the day.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

Had this earlier today from mom’s stash of tea. While its not a bad little cup, it was a little too bitter for me at 3mins. I likely won’t get another chance to have some but if I did I’d try 2.5 minutes with water just a little cooler, to see if that helps. I much prefer the breakfast tea I have from fortnums to this one but it was good to try.

Ysaurella

the F&M teas are generally very strong and malty. I recognize their qualities but maybe this is just not my kind of teas

I enjoy a few of their teas, but i’ve also had less than amazing experiences with some as well. I think they’re a hit and miss kind of company for me at least…

This is the tea that my father used to always bring back from his business trips to London, and I’m always going to love it probably more than it deserves. A nice strong Assam!

Bonnie

I’d drink it for the memories.

a friend gave me this marvelous tea. it’s rare that i can find a tea that is strong enough, but this one gets there.

We have been on a somewhat Assam-and-Breakfast-Tea binge lately at work. This tea now comes in one of F&M’s new caddies (check out the picture here: http://www.fortnumandmason.com/p-5173-assam-tea-assam-superb-tea-indian-tea.aspx). The caddy looks great, but I wish they had kept the old design. The new design is a nicer colour, and has an easier to open lid, but otherwise is useless. You can’t stack it in the cupboard like their old caddies, and it has zero useful tea info on it. Nothing about the tea’s provenance , about steep times or strength. The design, touted by F&M as a change for the better, is indicative of the alarming change that I’ve seen in the company over the last few years. Gone are delicious blends like Piccadilly Blend, Fountain Blend and others. The only blends now have “Royal” in their name, or are somehow tied to the royal family. Useful information has been scratched from the caddies, they’ve become ridiculously ornamented, and many of them are available only for a short period of time. F&M, in other words, have become a tourist trap filled with “British” souvenirs or grossly overpriced “speciality” tea, and no longer a place where I can send people shopping for tea and know that they can’t really go wrong.
That’s a shame, because they used to have wonderful teas, and they still sometimes do. This “Assam Superb” was a very very good, bass-y, malty, deep Assam, brewing almost black in colour, and taking milk with great aplomb. High in caffeine content, we’ve had it several times over the last week or so, as a morning pick me up. Recommended.