Se Chung Special Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

• “Pleasant. Se Chung is not my favorite Oolong, but, I do enjoy it. It makes a nice accompaniment to a meal because it has a fairly mellow flavor - nothing that will interfere or overpower the...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4421 tasting notes
  • “Another one from terri! (sipdown) I feel like i'm in the home stretch with those, though i have apparently really neglected the awesome swaps i received from fiddling and shmiracles heh opened up...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4939 tasting notes
  • “I had this with some sweet and sour faux chicken. The jury is still out, but I'm warming up to it a bit. :) The flavor does seem to change a lot as it cools.” Read full tasting note
    VegTea 190 tasting notes
  • “First sample from <b>TerriHarpLady</b>! Brewed it gongfu style in my taiwan, while using Premium Mutzha Tikuanyin to season my new roasted oolong yixing teapot. This is my first Se Chung oolong,...” Read full tasting note
    NofarS 388 tasting notes

From Frontier Natural Products Co-op

A woody astringency and the nuance of fresh peaches distinguish the remarkable aroma and flavor of this tea. Oolong is also referred to by it’s Chinese pinyin translation Wu Long.

About Frontier Natural Products Co-op View company

Pleasant. Se Chung is not my favorite Oolong, but, I do enjoy it. It makes a nice accompaniment to a meal because it has a fairly mellow flavor – nothing that will interfere or overpower the food. It also is delicious iced, one of my favorite Oolong teas to serve iced because it goes so well with other things … like a thin slice of lemon or lime, or even some mint. It has a very agreeable, amenable kind of flavor.

Another one from terri! (sipdown) I feel like i’m in the home stretch with those, though i have apparently really neglected the awesome swaps i received from fiddling and shmiracles heh opened up my swap box to pull new ones out and there were a bunch.

This is a nice middle of the road sort of roasty oolong. there’s a woody feel to this one and it leaves me mouth a little dry but over all it’s pretty tasty. I do like that it’s not overly charcoal feeling and the aroma of the leaves is pretty pleasant.

I had this with some sweet and sour faux chicken. The jury is still out, but I’m warming up to it a bit. :) The flavor does seem to change a lot as it cools.

Batrachoid

How’d you steep it? I tried it a couple different ways and they all wound up with odd burnt or urine tastes. I have some left and it needs to go quickly. (-_-;)

VegTea

Hmm. I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was a shorter steep and cooler than boiling – maybe 2-3 minutes? I still wouldn’t call this one a favorite, but it’s ok. Can’t say I ever got a urine taste tough..yuck! That would be enough to make me want to toss it.

First sample from TerriHarpLady! Brewed it gongfu style in my taiwan, while using Premium Mutzha Tikuanyin to season my new roasted oolong yixing teapot.
This is my first Se Chung oolong, and I can taste the woody astringency, but the peaches are rather in the background. This is an OK oolong, but not something to write home about. It’s not as roasted as other roasted oolongs, which means that there’s a tad more of the perfumy flavour that I don’t enjoy that much, but not enough to make the cup unpleasant. It’s the kind of oolong that I’d hand over to a friend who’s just venturing from the world of black teas into the world of green oolongs, and wants something “not too risky” to start with.
Dry leaves are various shades of brown, but a dark olive green emerges when they are brewed. The brew is a light copper, almost pink colour, and the smell is oh so typically oolong.

I feel wholly unqualified to write a review for this since I have no familiarity with oolong beyond whatever kind they serve at Chinese restaurants. Based on that, it seems like this is a basic but solid tea, and from a standpoint of pure enjoyment, I like it quite a bit.

The leaves are very tight and heavy even into steeping. I couldn’t pick up the peach scent before, during, or after the steep…but could smell the woodsy smell. Looks like typical coloring for an oolong. The taste is ok…fairly plain…but tasty, I suppose. There isn’t much wrong with this cuppa just not totally over the top exceptional or overly memorable. Regardless…I will give it a thumbs up.

Hmm, it’s okay. As usual for frontier it’s raw and refined but it definitely has a unique flavor.