Edit tea info Last updated by Rabs

1 Tasting Note View all

• “With this tea I have fully converted to an Earl Grey fan. I know that my EG experience is very limited, but wow is this one good! I've had some horrible "Pledge-like" EGs, I've had some delicate...” Read full tasting note
    Rabs 356 tasting notes

From Georgia Tea Company

Earl Grey tea is a tea blend with a distinctive flavour and aroma derived from the addition of oil extracted from the rind of the bergamot orange, a fragrant citrus fruit.

Traditionally the term “Earl Grey” was applied only to black tea; however, today the term is used for other teas that contain oil of bergamot, or a bergamot flavour.

The Earl Grey blend is named after the 2nd Earl Grey, British Prime Minister in the 1830s and author of the Reform Bill of 1832, who reputedly received a gift, probably a diplomatic perquisite, of tea flavoured with bergamot oil, taken from bergamot, a citrus fruit typical of Southeast Asia and grown commercially in Italy.

About Georgia Tea Company View company

1 Tasting Note

With this tea I have fully converted to an Earl Grey fan. I know that my EG experience is very limited, but wow is this one good! I’ve had some horrible “Pledge-like” EGs, I’ve had some delicate inoffensive EGs, but this one? This is the most aggressive EG that I’ve had that makes me go NOM! I think I understand my Earl Grey Cream from Georgia Tea Company a lot better now that I’ve experienced this tea.

I wish that I did have more of a background with EGs so that I could describe this better. But the smell and taste of the bergamot? Well, it just seems so masculine, but there’s a nice sweetness in the aftertaste. No paper-yuck taste to be found. There will be a larger purchase of this. I look forward to someone else trying this who can break it down better so that I can understand where this fits in the EG world. TG

Doulton

This sounds delicious. I agree that too many Earl Grey’s are guilty of sins of commission or sins of omission. Finding an excellent one is always memorable.