Temple of Heaven Gunpowder

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Tasting note no. *666*. Cue Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEllLECo4OM (The spooky Omen music starts at about 1:48 but you can knock yourself out and listen to the...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 933 tasting notes
  • “I've had the rest of this sample just sitting around and dangit! I need to get rid of some of my drips and drabs again (still). So off we go! Second verse, pretty much same as the first. I...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “So this is my first gunpowder tea experience, I have to say, I'm not all that impressed. Right from the get-go, the smell of the leaves, I smelled a strong almost burnt green smell, it reminded me...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “This one really looks and smells great. Kinda sad to see the ratings it got before me. But I yet have to try it. Maybe I'll like it more... I've used just a half of the sampler to make it. Color is...” Read full tasting note
    malomorgen 224 tasting notes

From Golden Moon Tea

Our Temple of Heaven Gunpowder is slightly smoky on the palate with a lingering sweetness. We start with young and delicate leaves, which are then crafted into tiny pearls. As they steep, they gently open, producing a lovely golden-green cup.

The impeccable craftsmanship of these evenly rolled leaves is well beyond any gunpowder we have seen. Delicious and beneficial to health, this is a must for any green loose leaf tea lover.

About Golden Moon Tea View company

Golden Moon is dedicated to offering outstanding, whole-leaf teas of the greatest quality and finesse. All Golden Moon Teas are hand-plucked and meticulously crafted to enhance leaf character, aroma, color, clarity, body, complexity, and above all, flavor.

My first gunpowder. I opened the packet and inhaled. Hmm, smoky, I thought. I steeped. I inhaled again. Smoky, like roasted grass. Or…cigarettes? That was fleeting, and very strange. It sort of put me off the whole thing, but I carried on. The flavour is earthy, not as smoky as the fragrance. There’s a wee bit of bitterness, way back near my throat. And hoo-ee, does it leave my mouth dry. I drank about a litre of water after drinking my tea.

Is this the way it’s supposed to be? I dunno, I guess I’ll find out when I’ve tried some more gunpowders.

This is my favorite Green Tea lately, as long as I don’t over-steep it. It has a mild, mellow green flavor with a hint of white, smooth & pleasant. Not bitter or overly grassy for a green tea.

Here we go, third sample from Golden Moon. After having sushi for dinner, I felt it was only appropriate to have a Green tea afterward. This will be my first time having a Gunpowder tea though.

It steeped to an almost amber/brown color, which seems a bit odd since the sampling packet calls it a “golden green” . The smell, well, honestly I can’t smell much of anything from it. My sense of smell is very bad though.

First sip. woah, did I steep this right? It tastes quite bitter, or maybe that’s the “smokey” taste. It’s almost hard to tell. Aside from that instant taste of bitter/smokey it seems to be almost flavorless. It’s got quite a bitter aftertaste as well. All I think I can chalk it up to is steeping incorrectly, because if this is the right flavor, I don’t know…

For the first infusion I steeped according to the suggestion on the package. 2-3 minutes, even though it seemed too much. It was over-steeped. Drinkable, but not spectacular. For the second infusion, I went according to my own instincts and steeped for just under one minute. Ahhh….now that’s much better. Now I can say I like this tea.

The tiny rolled leaves and the bright gold tea are beautiful—but it ends there. The aroma is smokey as I expected, but the tea tastes like cigarettes smell. ARRGGHH—not for me!

A smokey green tea that I do not care for.

Brewed 2 min just below boiling. No additives. Drank Hot.
This tea brews dark in color while the taste is light.
It’s ok.
It kinda tastes like they were roasting Lapsang Souchong and accidentally left this in the room while they were doing it. The smokiness is extremely light but it definitely a Lapsang Souchong type flavor.
Other than that it’s a light, non-vegital green tea.
I don’t really go for the smokiness so like I said, it’s ok. I wouldn’t turn down a cup if it were handed to me but I don’t think I’d buy it to have around the house.