Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Golden Moon sample No. 22 of 31. Fate determined Friday would be pu-erh day! The package says it contains aged Chinese tea from the last century. Which sounds really special and exotic until...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 951 tasting notes
  • “Very dark amber in the cup. With most teas, the bottom of the cup can be seen - not with this, it is very nearly opaque. This tea tastes exactly as most people describe, strong and earthy. This is...” Read full tasting note
    leafboxtea 17 tasting notes
  • “Having only put a small dent in my Golden Moon Tea sampler, I figured it was time to really get to work on here. I must confess, that though I will try anything and usually do not have any...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “I like this tea. I am going to start with the... Cons: A bit watery and not as earthy and rich as I would like. Pros: Still has a great earthy flavor, a mellow sweetness, fabulous lingering...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 429 tasting notes

From Golden Moon Tea

The most widely celebrated tea in Asia, this mysterious loose leaf tea is aged in secret caves for several years where it takes on a sweet, earthy aroma. Its health benefits to you are immeasurable.

About Golden Moon Tea View company

Golden Moon is dedicated to offering outstanding, whole-leaf teas of the greatest quality and finesse. All Golden Moon Teas are hand-plucked and meticulously crafted to enhance leaf character, aroma, color, clarity, body, complexity, and above all, flavor.

Brewed 2 min. 1Tsp raw sugar. Hot.
I don’t know if I like Pu-erhs or not.
This one has a very smooth and round flavor with none of the unpleasantness of “regular” black teas.
But the complexities that puerhs have are ‘strange’ tasting. I’ve heard them described as “earthy” but I don’t agree. In the way that a compost heap does not smell like plain soil; puerhs do not taste earthy.
Puerh is the genre of tea you really just have to try to see for your self because it has such a distinctive flavor.
But, this Pu-erh is excellent in its roundness.

I must admit, this is the first mini-tuocha pu’er that I have purchased. As a result, it took me a while to steep this correctly. It is not a bad tea, in my opinion it is just not that bold. Sure it has that pu’er taste that I love but it is really a muted and weak taste. While my Mandala Noble Mark grabs you and says here I am, this one just says here I am, can you taste me?

My first pu-erh. Strange aroma—earthy but with something else I can’t quite identify. Full-bodied with a hint of sweetness. “Grainy” aftertaste, almost coffee-esque. Okay, but I’ll keep exploring.

This was my second Pu-erh I’ve tried, so I am still new to drinking Pu-erh. My first infusion was steeped around 3 minutes and had a strong taste mostly of cigars and smokiness. I also got the taste of wood chips and dirt. Totally different kind of tea that I am used to but not turned off from trying more.

The second and third infusions I steeped for 5:00 minutes. Less smokiness and more mellow, which I enjoyed more. Interested in trying other pu-erh.

This is part of my explorations of Pu-erh teas and it is an interesting one. I do not know whether I like it or not, which is an improvement on many of the pu-erhs I’ve tried.

Second steeping adds a sweeter note.