Black Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Thank you very much to *Ricky* for sending me a sample of this. I was quiet overwhelmed by the aroma of the dry leaves. They really smelt like a rose bush. It didn't smell overly synthetic at...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “I can't help but compare this tea to the Rose Congou I had this morning. The smell of the leaf is SO much better (not that that would be hard, mind). While the other smelled sour and a little...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Way too crazy a day today. Just enough time for one mid-afternoon steep, so I chose something floral and relaxing to try and carve out a little niche of calm. When I opened up the packet, I was...” Read full tasting note
    AdhamL 237 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for sharing this with me... *Azzrian*? I try, but I am _terrible_ at keeping my sample piles separate. Not enough room and somehow they get all mixed up! ack! Anyhow, this was a...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1258 tasting notes

From Golden Moon Tea

Intoxicating and rich, our Rose Tea is a beautiful black loose leaf tea sprinkled with rose petals. It delivers to you an exotic floral scent and a light, florid taste that is divine hot or iced!

About Golden Moon Tea View company

Golden Moon is dedicated to offering outstanding, whole-leaf teas of the greatest quality and finesse. All Golden Moon Teas are hand-plucked and meticulously crafted to enhance leaf character, aroma, color, clarity, body, complexity, and above all, flavor.

Auggy and I just busted open our packets of GM’s Rose Tea together, and had a little e-tea party! So I bet her review is forthcoming as well, as we’ve been discussing the tea throughout our entire sipping process. Good times!

When I opened the package, the immediate smell of rose hit my nose. This really is rose. I can’t describe it any other way. If you’ve stuck your face in a rose and taken a deep breath, this is that smell in its most concentrated form. And let me tell you, it’s an absolutely gorgeous smell. Fresh and inviting and glowing. Floral, yes, but not overwhelming to the point of throw-uppy-ness. And not fake rose at all, because that’d be disgusting. The tea itself is some black. It looks like a Ceylon, and the smell of it does come across.

The resulting tea-and-flower juice was actually a bit darker than I expected, but still somewhere around the copper color of the Ceylons. In the smell of the liquid, the rose was a bit more muted than the dry, but it was still there. And now it was mingling deliciously with a black tea smell.

Let me tell you, this is another winner by Golden Moon. At my first sip, I could just taste the quality of the flavoring. The rose is very much a present and dominant force, but it’s neither overpowering nor domineering. It tastes rich but light, and definitely floral but not overwhelmingly so. This one has a lovely sweetness that’ll creep up on you after multiple sips in a row, and lingers on the tongue well after the tea is all gone and in your tummy.

The only criticism I could have of this tea is not with the flavor of the rose, but with the black tea itself. It’s fairly weak. I can definitely taste that it’s something of quality, as it doesn’t have bitterness or astringency, but it definitely plays second fiddle to the rose. Not that that’s a bad thing, per se, but it would be nice if the black brought something a little stronger to the flavor profile. I feel like the tea would be better rounded out if that was the case. The black did start to make an appearance as the cup began to cool, but by that point I was already at the bottom and nearly finished.

That being said, this was still really tasty and yummy, and I finished the cup pretty quickly. Could I drink this every day? Absolutely not. I’d get tired of it immediately. I probably couldn’t drink another cup today. But this one is another testament to the wonderfulness that is Golden Moon!

<3 to Auggy for sharing tea-time with me!

Auggy

Yay! I loved our tea party! And it makes me laugh how similar our ratings and thoughts on the tea are! Get out of my mind!!!!

No wait, you’re fun. You may stay in.

Ricky

Yawns, I’m late to the game. Making my cup soon!

teaplz

THE TEA PARTY CONTINUES! Yay, Ricky! Make some rose tea and write a review for us! :D

Auggy, I luffs your brain. It’s very comfy with teacups and shared experiences. I think I’ll stay here. :)

takgoti

You guys are cute.

Rose tea, iced version: Better than hot. You know every so often you order unsweetened iced tea, and even though it’s gross and bitter you still drink it without sugar? This isn’t the case. The rose acts like a natural sweetener of sorts, so I didn’t have to sacrifice taste for health. I’m excited that I didn’t use the entire sample the first time around. The rest will be used for more iced tea.

Cofftea

LOL! I had to laugh at your “You know every so often you order unsweetened iced tea, and even though it’s gross and bitter you still drink it w/o sugar?” statement cuz I never drink sweetened tea lol. I can’t wait to get my sampler. I think I’m gonna get the sampler plus a couple extra of a few. I’d love to try this hot, iced, and Arnold Palmer Style… well… more like just adding lemon as I never drink sweetened lemonade either lol.

Angela

haha well I grew up on the powdered iced tea, which is retrospect is painfully sweet, so when I switched to unsweetened it was kind of gross at first. And some of them still are…

The sampler is pretty awesome. I like sifting through my samples thinking, “hm, what am I in the mood for today…?” :)

Cofftea

I grew up on powdered iced too! Then added mint to EVERY iced tea unsweetened cuz I couldn’t stand it (could have something to do w/ the fact that I steeped all tea in boiling water for 5 min LOL)… finally came to my senses and could drink non mint iced tea, then hot. Oddly enough my cold to hot transition came at the exact moment I could drink black coffee, not just lattes. I get overwhelmed by samplers- for the most part I pick randomly lol.

“Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. Though my personal preference was for Lux, I found that Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor – heavy, but with a touch of mellow smoothness. Lifebuoy, on the other hand…”

+5 cool points to you if you recognize the quote.

So I generally don’t dig black teas. I love white teas, and I’m crazy about oolongs. Tisanes are nice too. Black teas usually don’t float my boat unless it’s a smoky lapsang souchong or a chai blend. Golden Moon might’ve just won me over with this rose tea. As I opened the package, the smell of fresh-cut roses immediately hit my nose. The aroma is intoxicating and subtle. I brewed it up, and much to my surprise, that same subtlety carried over to the cup. I took the first sip (and sniff), and only one thing came to mind.

Palmolive soap.

This tea has a very soapy mouthfeel. And honestly, I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing, because I gulped this cup down and brewed up a second one. (No, my mom didn’t wash my mouth out with soap, but the earlier quote immediately came to mind when I finished the cup.) It certainly doesn’t have the astringency and bitterness that usually comes with a black tea. I’d be tempted to probably buy this one.

Would that make me a soap lover?

__Morgana__

I didn’t recognize the quote, but I looked it up. Does that give me at least a plus one, or does it put me in the negative category? ;-)

Karsh

LOL! +1 for you, definitely!

Janefan

A Christmas Story (or the short story it was based on, by Jean someone…) ? The kid picked up swearing from his father, so probably got his mouth washed out?

They say scent has the power to trigger memories, and the rose scent of this tea is wonderfully evocative. Years and years ago, in my hippie herbalist days, I gathered several pounds of wild rose petals, and made a wild rose conserve. The memory of the scent of that jam is still with me, and this tea has exactly that scent. It also reminds me of locoum, or Turkish delight, a sweet confection made of roses.

Once brewed, there is a distinct flavor of rose, but no cloying sweetness. The tea, which tastes like a Ceylon, is clearly present and not overwhelmed by the rose.

It’s not a tea I would drink everyday, but it’s definitely going to take a permanent place in my pantry. It would go well as a finish after Middle Eastern food, I think.

Much thanks to Ricky and to Auggy – your reviews talked me into buying this.

Ricky

I agree with you there. I use to hate Rose tea till until I had this one. I could definitely see myself ordering this again.

Golden Moon Sampler Tea #20:
Running out of black teas for the morning, so looks like I’m going to have to settle for a flavored tea. Well, I say settle but I’ve been looking forward to this tea for a while now. I love rose flavored stuff. I realize it’s really overpowering for some, but to me it brings back childhood memories of confectionaries.

On the first steep the rose flavor WAS almost overpowering, I couldn’t really get much of a tea taste from it at all, but it started coming out as the tea cooled. Are you telling me that you wish to be an iced tea, Rose Tea? I am unsure if the world is ready for rose flavored iced tea. Especially without hibiscus. Everyone knows proper flavored iced tea needs to contain hibiscus. This is Fact.

The second steeping was more tea flavored, but it was also a little anemic. Hmm…I am, however, suddenly filled with a craving for shortbread. Mmmm, shortbread.

I’ve been putting this one off a little bit. I love rose anything (scented, flavored, you name it), but most rose teas are lacking for me. So far the only one I truly adore is the one I got from Harrods in July, which is basically just straight rosebuds—of course, it’s not available online and anything like it is incredibly expensive anywhere else. Sigh.

This one is better than expected. I guess my standards for rose tea are too high, but when I drink one I really want rose flavor more than black tea. Tiny petal pieces simply will not do it! Somehow this one takes the tiny petal pieces and becomes a moderately flavorful rose tea, but the black tea flavor is still stronger than the floral notes. I’m ultimately left with a “that’s all?” sort of feeling, which is not what I want from a floral tea. As a black blend it’s very good, but as a rose tea I wouldn’t reach for it.

I got this as a sample from Golden Moon along with my iced tea set, it is not something I would have chosen for myself but here goes.

Very heavy rose aroma, like a lot of other people I get the associations of my grandmother’s soap. The rose scent is still very present in the cup after brewed. A nice ceylon tea which is very aromatic and flowery. I can’t quite make up my mind if I like it or not. It is definitely much better than I thought it would be. And it would be a nice tea for a gift, I think or at a bridal shower. Still, I have to surmise that maybe rose tea is just not my thing. I wonder if it needs some vanilla or chocolate?

TeaBrat

I also have another sample of this, if anyone wants to try it let me know and I’ll send it to you.

Well I had to try the rose black from Golden Moon, and I figured I’d have my sample sooner than later since I just had some Harney Rose Scented recently. The dry tea certainly smells powerfully, sweetly rosey. This isn’t an “herbaceous” rose, it’s definitely a sweet candy-type rose.

Brewed, the rose scent is a bit more subdued, but still very present. I think its moreso that the black tea is making itself known but also melding very well with the rose. The taste is powerfully rosey very much like Rose Scented. I think I’d have to try them back to back to really suss out the differences. It is actually perhaps a touch less sweet than rose scented, but I could be making that up. As it cools it actually does get more herbaceous rose, and less similar to Rose Scented than Rose Congou. This one doesn’t remind me of turkish delight as much, though it is tasty. I’m finding it’s difficult for a rose black to really distinguish itself, and that does apply to this tea. Delicious, but not extraordinary enough to make me seek it out over other rose blacks.

Golden Moon Tea Rose

A rose by any other name… Oh, the lovely scent of roses. As a child, many of the important older women in my life all seemed to use a particular brand of rose lotion, giving me a definite sense memory of strong older, rose scented women who made me feel safe. And this tea definitely tripped that trigger. Highly scented, and very rose. I was enveloped in comfort as I inhaled the steeping brew.

But I also had a slight worry. I’ve had a few floral teas that taste like drinking perfume. Would this one taste like rose perfume? Smelling good is all fine and dandy, but the best memories can’t mitigate a cup of perfume. It would be downgraded to potpourri at that point. Luckily – my fears were TOTALLY unfounded. This tea tasted as lovely as it smelled. Unsweetened, it carried with it flavors of honey and an underlying sweetness. It also had a slight nuttiness to the brew.

I will definitely be purchasing some of this tea for myself. It had good memories, good aromas and good flavors. What could be better!

From http://www.itsallabouttheleaf.com/2303/tea-review-golden-moon-tea-rose/

I’ve never tried a rose tea until now. The scent is heady and strong. I am into perfumes as well, so this one struck a soft note for me. It reminds me of when I was younger and I was trying on my mom’s perfume, which was a rose perfume. :) Great tea. There was an initial hint of sugar on my tongue. I had this one plain. No additives needed. The rose scent was strong and nice. It tastes like sweetness and hot water that has been taken from a pool of roses. Not always appetizing but I love this.

After I’m done with all these samples, I know I’ll be making a large Golden Moon Tea purchase!!