Edit tea info Last updated by Dexter

2 Images

• “All you lovely Steepsterites keep saying "smokey Keemun" - I've actually never really found the smoke in Keemun - that would be until I tried this one. This is not as smokey as a Lapsang Souchong...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 743 tasting notes
  • “This is another sample from *Dexter3657*. I love a good Keemun, but my liking is proportional to their level of smoke. A few exceptions aside, I'm not a fan of smoke in tea. This Keemun falls in...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 412 tasting notes

From Golden Moon Tea

The chocolate flavor is more of an unsweetened cocoa, with notes of peach and lilacs. But Keemuns are surprisingly sweet for a black tea and have less astringency than it’s black tea cousin, Ceylon. It is this combination of chocolate and sweetness that have made this tea so popular.

It is a full bodied tea that stands up remarkably well to milk and sugar, which is why people love it so much in the morning. So much so, the Colonial British decided to use it as one of their main ingredients in their classic “English Breakfast Tea.”

About Golden Moon Tea View company

Golden Moon is dedicated to offering outstanding, whole-leaf teas of the greatest quality and finesse. All Golden Moon Teas are hand-plucked and meticulously crafted to enhance leaf character, aroma, color, clarity, body, complexity, and above all, flavor.

All you lovely Steepsterites keep saying “smokey Keemun” – I’ve actually never really found the smoke in Keemun – that would be until I tried this one. This is not as smokey as a Lapsang Souchong – but it’s right up there with a smokey, roasted oolong.
I don’t think I like this. I don’t really need smoke in my black teas. The packages says chocolate notes with peach in the finish. No chocolate, no peach – just smokey black tea. Happy to have tried it – will not be restocking.

Haha love smoke! ;p

TheTeaFairy

I’m totally with you Dex, smoke belongs in my bacon, not in my black tea! I can handle it when it’s very subtle though.

all your smokey teas are belong to meeeeeeee

This is another sample from Dexter3657.

I love a good Keemun, but my liking is proportional to their level of smoke. A few exceptions aside, I’m not a fan of smoke in tea.

This Keemun falls in the middle for me. It’s moderately smoky, with nice fruity and floral undertones, though I can’t really pinpoint the peach and lilac mentioned in its description.

The truth is, the smoke ruins it a bit for me, so I decided to try my second cup “Sil’s Style”, with maple syrup you have guessed. I very rarely add anything to my tea, but maple syrup will sometimes join the party and help a little with difficult ones.

Does’t really help in this case I’m afraid, the smoke’s sharpness still cuts trough.

Oh well, I’m still very happy I got the chance to try it, it helps me narrow down excacly the type of Keemun I prefer.

Thank you Dexter3657 for sharing with me :-)

looseTman

TheTeaFairy, Thanks for being the first to review this Keemun. I was intrigued when it was recently on sale, especially since Golden Moon teas are typically well regarded on Steepster.

TheTeaFairy

Well I guess I’m not a “real” keemun fan, since I have a hard time with smoke. so please don’t let this review influence you, it’s a very good tea, just doesn’t suit my own personal tastes:-) I’m pretty much sticking to Teavivre when it comes to Keemun, can’t seem to find any I like as much.

Dexter

I’m going to take this to work with me tomorrow and see how it is. I don’t normally get the “smoke” – it’s kind of like the mysterious leather.
Fairy do I have more Keemun? I probably do… would you like to try others that I might have?

looseTman

Thanks for being the pioneer for this Keemun. Prior to today there wasn’t any readily available Steepster info on this one. Anyone who likes Teavivre Keemun certainly has good taste! ;-)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Dexter, so you are smoke and leather immune, so funny! Well if you can’t find the smoke in a Lapsang, then don’t look for it in this one, I don’t think you’ll never find it!

(No.more.tea.for.me…But Thank you :-))

Thanks looseTman :-)

Dexter

I can find smoke in Lapsang – like smoked lapsang, or some heavily roasted oolongs, but not just in keemun…….

TheTeaFairy

Ha! Sorry, that makes more sense :-)

Dexter

This is smokey – I don’t think it’s CRAZY smokey but there is some. It seems to lessen as the tea cools. At least that’s my impression this morning…

TheTeaFairy

So you got the smoke this time? Smoke in keemun is different than smoke found in Sheng don’t you find? That, I can appreciate. But Keemun feels heavier and the smoke against that rich taste is just too much for me.

Dexter

There is smoke in sheng?
I don’t find this offensive, but then I don’t mind Lapsang (unless it’s really piney smoke). I need to look through my stash for more Keemun – see how the others compare to this. I just don’t recall ever getting smoke like this…