Okayti Muscatel Darjeeling Second Flush 2014

Darjeeling Tea
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Now here's a darjeeling which I would easily identify as a darjeeling in a blind line-up! This second flush tea from Okayti (by way of Golden Tips) looks, smells, and brews up just like the...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 1161 tasting notes
  • “This tea was just picked in June. Isn't that neat? I really like being able to see the date of picking on the package. I am having a Darjeeling revelation. I think I might love them! This one...” Read full tasting note
    Marzipan 270 tasting notes

From Golden Tips

A superb organic muscatel summer black tea from one of the most beautiful estates in Darjeeling. The carefully worked brown-black leaves comprise of abundant silver tips which gives this tea a royal appearance. The nose of the infusion is sharp and woody with a hint of sweetness. The handsomely-amber colored liquor brings in a smoothness to the flavor which is quite sought after in summer Darjeelings. Once you roll the tea for a few time, burst of fruity and flowery notes greet you. This Okayti is a must try.

Okayti is one of Darjeeling’s largest estates with an annual production of almost 1,75,000 kgs. With a scenic landscape of tea bushes, Okayti offers beautiful views of the Mirik Valley. With one of the highest average elevations ranging from 4000-6200 feet, Okayti produces some of the best Darjeeling teas grown in the entire region every year.

About Golden Tips View company

Now here’s a darjeeling which I would easily identify as a darjeeling in a blind line-up! This second flush tea from Okayti (by way of Golden Tips) looks, smells, and brews up just like the darjeelings familiar to me. The leaves are of variegated shapes and colors, but on the whole they are veering dark matte chocolate brown and look like a lighter black tea.

The liquor is amber, pure and simple. A perfect example of the color of amber. Not red, not orange, not green, but amber. The taste is slightly astringent and grassy but with real depth and complexity as well.

I drank the first half of this batch while eating fresh raspberries sprinkled with sugar then frozen before drizzling half & half on top. This skewed my tasting a bit, since the berries were very tart and my tongue had to readjust to process the flavor of the tea.

By the second glass (when the raspberries were all gone), I recognized the smooth yumminess of this darjeeling. It may be that, at heart, I’m a second-flush kind of gal. Only time will tell, but by the end of this year I should know for sure!

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
boychik

I do love SF. Did you resteep it or made fresh 2nd cup? I almost never resteep Darj, I’m happy if it’s good 1st time.

christeana1

Sherapop…not sure if you knew and are uninterested…there are a few of us having a boston meet up. Just figured I would throw it out there. If you are interested you can pm me…and I will give the details…Have a great night anyway :)

sherapop

boychik: I had a glass pot which was the equivalent of two glasses. I have only tried re-steeping darjeeling once—per the Steepster sample instructions. What a joke: it tasted like dishwater. Well, how I imagine dishwater tastes. ;-0

sherapop

Thanks, christeana1! I saw a posting a while back, but haven’t noticed it lately. I’ll send you a pm.

sherapop

boychik: I should add that I use Bodum double-walled glasses, so usually the second glass is still hot enough to drink by the time I get to it. If not, I zap it a bit.

boychik

You know I love resteeping , but not Darj or Assam,or Ceylon. Just doesn’t work. But Chinese and Taiwanese are awesome even if it’s western, at least 2-3. My friend has double walled glasses. It was fun drink out of them. They look gorgeous and easy to hold.

This tea was just picked in June. Isn’t that neat? I really like being able to see the date of picking on the package.

I am having a Darjeeling revelation. I think I might love them! This one is delicious. Round and fruity (I think I am starting to identify the “Muscatel” quality). Slightly astringent but not unpleasantly so.

sherapop

Glad to see you dipping into our fantastic collection! I’ll be joining you soon… ;-)