Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by MJW

• “I love this tea. I saw a post on the discussion boards about what tea would you take with you to Mars. This would be it! I have now had 2 other Milk Oolongs and this is by far my favorite of the...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 199 tasting notes
  • “I was so excited to see this tea in my mystery swap, as I've always wanted to try a milk oolong! The smell of it steeping is heavenly; it is a bit vegetal, yet buttery. I am happy that this tea is...” Read full tasting note
    alm430 64 tasting notes
  • “My husband and I were in Des Moines this weekend because I was running a 5k, and lo and behold it just so happened that the race was practically right next to my favorite tea shop: Gong Fu Tea!...” Read full tasting note
    Charissa 46 tasting notes
  • “This has a truly unique bouquet and mouthfeel in the oolong family. It delivers a robust aromas of orchid, coconut and fresh herbs. The mouthfeel lives up to the name with a round and smooth...” Read full tasting note
    MJW 6 tasting notes

From Gong Fu Tea Shop

This semi-oxidized tea varietal has a very distinctive “buttery” characteristic to its liquor that is the result of a unique combination of harvest-timing coupled with processing technique. The leaves are selected from tea plants growing in the mountains of Fujian province, China at elevations between 1600 and 4000 feet above sea-level. The plucking must then occur only on a morning following a precipitous drop in temperature in comparison to the day before. The hand-picked leaves are then removed to the tea factory where they are carefully oxidized in climate controlled rooms, steamed and rolled, then dried and packed for the enjoyment of the lucky few tea enthusiast that have access to this rare treat.

About Gong Fu Tea Shop View company

I love this tea. I saw a post on the discussion boards about what tea would you take with you to Mars. This would be it! I have now had 2 other Milk Oolongs and this is by far my favorite of the bunch. Sweet floral taken over my a very creamy mouthful. I enjoy this tea most in the morning. This tea was the tea that launched me into exploring oolongs, and I am ever so thankful.

Charissa

Yes, this is THE BEST! I actually get serious cravings for it during the day and fantasize about making myself a pot of it! It’s like precious gold to me, so I am trying very hard not to use it all up in one week…sigh so hard!

I was so excited to see this tea in my mystery swap, as I’ve always wanted to try a milk oolong! The smell of it steeping is heavenly; it is a bit vegetal, yet buttery. I am happy that this tea is living up to what I imagined it to be! It’s mild, comforting, and creamy. I can’t wait to see what other flavors unfold as the cup cools! Thank you TeaTiff for sharing this special tea with me. Now I think I’m hooked!

My husband and I were in Des Moines this weekend because I was running a 5k, and lo and behold it just so happened that the race was practically right next to my favorite tea shop: Gong Fu Tea! Naturally, as soon as the race was over we headed over there to splurge on some tea (gotta have my post-run “recovery” beverage, of course!)

I ordered a cup of this milk oolong and thoroughly enjoyed it to the last drop. Admittedly I am not a very knowledgeable or experienced oolong drinker so I don’t have much to compare this to, but in my opinion is was very wonderful and unique. My son had fallen asleep in his stroller, the tea shop atmosphere was perfectly relaxed and soothing, and I just sat in their comfy chair and had a peaceful moment all to myself as I savored each sip of this tea, letting its warmth envelop me and its exquisite taste take me away to another world. Every so often I would open my eyes between sips and jot a note on what mouth was experiencing.

This tea’s flavor consisted of pleasing, warm, mellow notes reminiscent of coconut milk. It was rich and buttery with a lovely light sweet lingering finish. It was delicious, like a homemade butter cookie right out of the oven, yet at the same time it was not at all too heavy or rich. Mmmmmmmmm. I REALLY would have liked to purchase more of it in bulk to take home, but I had some other teas I’ve been wanting to try and my budget was limited. Alas, I will just have to wait to get it another time.

This has a truly unique bouquet and mouthfeel in the oolong family. It delivers a robust aromas of orchid, coconut and fresh herbs. The mouthfeel lives up to the name with a round and smooth viscosity. I believe this tea is a good introductory tea to people who are just acquainting themselves with oolong. Ultimately, it is a style of tea that is boisterous and very easy to drink. The connoisseurs may find it too straight forward. I tend to enjoy this tea in the morning but move on to something more subtle by afternoon such as Oriental Beauty or Baozhongs.