Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by MJW

• “Amazing! That really is all I have to say about this tea. I am trying all 3 milk oolongs that I own and I wanted to drink this one first since it was my first love. It is just as wonderful as I...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 332 tasting notes
  • “I was so excited to see this tea in my mystery swap, as I've always wanted to try a milk oolong! The smell of it steeping is heavenly; it is a bit vegetal, yet buttery. I am happy that this tea is...” Read full tasting note
    alm430 64 tasting notes
  • “My husband and I were in Des Moines this weekend because I was running a 5k, and lo and behold it just so happened that the race was practically right next to my favorite tea shop: Gong Fu Tea!...” Read full tasting note
    Charissa 58 tasting notes
  • “From the Here's Hoping Tea box3! I am a huge fan of Mandala Tea's milk oolong and was very curious how this oolong stacks up. Appearance wise, GFTS' milk oolong is a darker, vibrant green, with...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1012 tasting notes

From Gong Fu Tea Shop

This semi-oxidized tea varietal has a very distinctive “buttery” characteristic to its liquor that is the result of a unique combination of harvest-timing coupled with processing technique. The leaves are selected from tea plants growing in the mountains of Fujian province, China at elevations between 1600 and 4000 feet above sea-level. The plucking must then occur only on a morning following a precipitous drop in temperature in comparison to the day before. The hand-picked leaves are then removed to the tea factory where they are carefully oxidized in climate controlled rooms, steamed and rolled, then dried and packed for the enjoyment of the lucky few tea enthusiast that have access to this rare treat.

About Gong Fu Tea Shop View company

Amazing! That really is all I have to say about this tea. I am trying all 3 milk oolongs that I own and I wanted to drink this one first since it was my first love. It is just as wonderful as I remember. Sweet, buttery, and a slight slight vegetal taste. This time I am getting a hint of coconut as well. The next 2 milk oolongs are going to have to bring their “A” game.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Pressure, pressure!

Cheri

I’m looking for a really good milk oolong. May have to see if I can find a sample of this one to try.

TeaTiff

I can send you a sample of this one and mandala. I will send you a pm.

Wow, thanks!

I was so excited to see this tea in my mystery swap, as I’ve always wanted to try a milk oolong! The smell of it steeping is heavenly; it is a bit vegetal, yet buttery. I am happy that this tea is living up to what I imagined it to be! It’s mild, comforting, and creamy. I can’t wait to see what other flavors unfold as the cup cools! Thank you TeaTiff for sharing this special tea with me. Now I think I’m hooked!

My husband and I were in Des Moines this weekend because I was running a 5k, and lo and behold it just so happened that the race was practically right next to my favorite tea shop: Gong Fu Tea! Naturally, as soon as the race was over we headed over there to splurge on some tea (gotta have my post-run “recovery” beverage, of course!)

I ordered a cup of this milk oolong and thoroughly enjoyed it to the last drop. Admittedly I am not a very knowledgeable or experienced oolong drinker so I don’t have much to compare this to, but in my opinion is was very wonderful and unique. My son had fallen asleep in his stroller, the tea shop atmosphere was perfectly relaxed and soothing, and I just sat in their comfy chair and had a peaceful moment all to myself as I savored each sip of this tea, letting its warmth envelop me and its exquisite taste take me away to another world. Every so often I would open my eyes between sips and jot a note on what mouth was experiencing.

This tea’s flavor consisted of pleasing, warm, mellow notes reminiscent of coconut milk. It was rich and buttery with a lovely light sweet lingering finish. It was delicious, like a homemade butter cookie right out of the oven, yet at the same time it was not at all too heavy or rich. Mmmmmmmmm. I REALLY would have liked to purchase more of it in bulk to take home, but I had some other teas I’ve been wanting to try and my budget was limited. Alas, I will just have to wait to get it another time.

From the Here’s Hoping Tea box3!

I am a huge fan of Mandala Tea’s milk oolong and was very curious how this oolong stacks up. Appearance wise, GFTS’ milk oolong is a darker, vibrant green, with smaller more chewed up leaf than Mandala’s milk oolong. I used the same steeping parameters that I use for my Mandala Tea milk oolong.

Taste wise, GFTS’ is more fruity – I was getting coconut and bit of fruityness, with lots of vegetal and buttery creamy. This one is quite good – but I’m still leaning on Mandala Tea’s milk oolong, which is more caramel butter edge to it with nicer leaf quality.

Cheri

I really like this milk oolong. It’s one of my favorites. I have not had the Mandala one yet.

Scatterbrain

Definitely give Mandala’s milk oolong a try, Cheri. It is awesome! American Tea Room has a great one too.

TeaTiff

Cheri, you tried GFTS and Mandala:) I remember reading your tasting notes. Awkward Soul, I am going to have to go back and have a cup of each. The strong notes of each makes me curious again. For me the GFTS won due to the intense creamy flavor.

Cheri

I did try the Mandala! I had that one confused in my head. Oops! I didn’t give it a rating because I wanted to try the GFTS and Teavivre ones. My bad!! (I thought I’d had it, and went back through my ratings because I can sort those so much better than my tea log aqnd couldn’t find it. I’m such an idiot.)

I had a little bit of this left, so I decided I wanted to pseudo gong fu this one at my desk. I should just bring my gaiwan into the office. I end up doing more psedu gong fu sessions here than I do actual sessions at home. Well, I could also use that as an excuse to buy a new gaiwan. Anyone have any suggestions of ones they like?

I love how freaking creamy this tea is for the first several infusions. CREAMY! If it weren’t for the fact that it’s clear, I would think that it had whole milk at a minimum, it’s so creamy. Then it gets like buttery popcorn. So yummy! I love this tea.

(I do have some of thePuriTea milk oolong coming in the mail tomorrow. I will definitely compare, since I loved that one the one time I had it.)

And I needed a relaxing, lovely, amazing tea today because I’ve spent my entire day dealing with idiots. IDIOTS! I told you I will fix it, but you have to verify one thing for me before I will make the fix. Don’t ask again and again (literally three times!) without verifying the information for me.

On another note, I’m going out to dinner with a friend from the east coast as she drives through my area on her way elsewhere for the weekend. I’m excited.

Cameron B.

Well I’m glad you get to have dinner with a friend to help relax after a day filled with imbeciles. :P

boychik

Highly recommend this gaiwan, I use it daily. Reliable seller, got it in 10 days

Cheri

That looks nice. Thanks for the recommendation!

TheTeaFairy

I like your “pseudo gongfu” sessions at work :-)

MzPriss

I second boychik’s recommendation. I have one that is very similar and I have it at work. Really easy.

apt

Jing Tea Shop sells a great one for $5, their tea is great as well.

This was a gorgeous light buttercup color. It smelled wonderful – creamy and mildly vegetal. And it tasted even better. It lived up to all the promises the smell made – buttery, smooth, creamy, lightly vegetal, mildly sweet.

Thanks, TeaTiff for sharing this at the tea this afternoon! It definitely goes on my list to pick up from Gong Fu!

This has a truly unique bouquet and mouthfeel in the oolong family. It delivers a robust aromas of orchid, coconut and fresh herbs. The mouthfeel lives up to the name with a round and smooth viscosity. I believe this tea is a good introductory tea to people who are just acquainting themselves with oolong. Ultimately, it is a style of tea that is boisterous and very easy to drink. The connoisseurs may find it too straight forward. I tend to enjoy this tea in the morning but move on to something more subtle by afternoon such as Oriental Beauty or Baozhongs.