Winey Keemun English Breakfast

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Okay Steepsterites, I'll come clean. I really wanted a glass of wine. Yes, at 8:45am. But since: 1 - That is a bit crazy and 2 - I have a ton of homework to get through today, I decided to...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1011 tasting notes
  • “This is a classic, a very nice tea from a company that says they only do a few teas, but they only sell the very best they can find. This Keemun lives up to its name, not smoky like many are but...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1770 tasting notes
  • “This tea reminds me of when... ...you really want to meet someone because you HEARD they were nice and when you actually meet them they are everything you HEARD they would be but at the same time...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from this morning: My first tea tasting from this month's Steepster Select box. This is really good. Full-bodied and robust, with notes of fermented fruit and a lovely sweetness. Earthy...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4231 tasting notes

From Grace Tea Company

This extra slow-fired tea is of a rare and extraordinary quality. Our most well known and famous blend has an unusual depth, body and color that can be likened in description to a fine wine. A uniquely crafted tea blended with varying China, Formosan and Indian teas, Winey Keemun follows the traditional formulation of an English Breakfast blend. It’s one of our personal favorites.

About Grace Tea Company View company

Okay Steepsterites, I’ll come clean. I really wanted a glass of wine. Yes, at 8:45am. But since: 1 – That is a bit crazy and 2 – I have a ton of homework to get through today, I decided to compromise and go with this tea. Which seems like a much more realistic choice at 8:45 in the morning.

This tea really is unlike anything I’ve had. It seems that every English Breakfast blend tends to be just really plain and sometimes bland but this one is intriguing. I think you would have to enjoy a bit of red wine to really love this tea but I think non-wine drinkers would like it as well. Just not as much. Like I’ve said previously, it can get a bit astringent when taken plain but just the smallest amount of milk and sugar mutes that enough for it to be quite enjoyable.

TeaEqualsBliss

I think this is one I just got yesterday! :)

Kristin

It would be awesome if this was decaf and I could drink it at night.

mpierce87

I honestly didn’t expect much from it because it was quite the strange combo, but I really, really like it.

This is a classic, a very nice tea from a company that says they only do a few teas, but they only sell the very best they can find. This Keemun lives up to its name, not smoky like many are but rather richly flavored with a hint of deep red wine. Very nice with sweets.

This tea reminds me of when…

…you really want to meet someone because you HEARD they were nice and when you actually meet them they are everything you HEARD they would be but at the same time they aren’t over-the-top eccentric but they are far from boring.

I’m going to be reviewing in more length TOMORROW…here…

ashmanra

This was probably the firsrt “good” tea I ever bought, and it is still dear to my heart. This is a favorite Keemun, since it doesn’t have the bitterness I have found in some. Strong, but smooth.

Backlog from this morning: My first tea tasting from this month’s Steepster Select box. This is really good. Full-bodied and robust, with notes of fermented fruit and a lovely sweetness. Earthy and a slight smoky note. Even a hint of leather. Very pleasant, a very nice, well-rounded cup of tea.

There’s definitely more interest here than your standard breakfast blend. To my surprise, the Keemun is neither cocoa-y or smoky, but it does have a dry red wine kind of mouthfeel and a slightly oaky and fermented fruit flavor (which was also evocative of a rich red wine). I wasn’t necessarily blown away by the cup, but it’s very nice.

Another morning, another breakfast tea. In an odd way I have been craving Keemun, I think it’s because of my love for black tea at the moment (last month it was jasmine tea).

The colour once brewed is earthy browny red and it smells slightly sweet and woody.

This tastes malty, slightly woody and earthy with a hint of sweetness. It’s rather rich and well bodied, great for a morning/breakfast tea. There is also a hint of fermented fruit (which brings forward the sweetness) and dryness which is possibly the winey element.

Overall it’s a nice cup but not extraordinary. My mouth was left bone dry after each sip which I am not a fan of and I was hoping that it was a little stronger and more full bodied. It was nice however to have a change and this tea is still rather nice.

darky

ah someone with a taste for blacks atm :) i’m into it aswel tough need to write a bit more about it!

A nice enough black tea. Nothing that made me praise the tea gods but an alright black breakfast tea. I think I kind of understand where the “winey” part of the title is coming from but its almost as if the winey flavor is part of the slight astringency itself. Still, its not what I had in mind and was looking forward to with a name like Winey Keemun. Sure the tea is a deep red color but oh well thats not enough to make me jump up and down.
Yet there is a calming morning salute here and somehow this tea becomes quite relaxing for a wake up tea, quite enjoyable almost as if it is whispering in the back of your mind “don’t worry, don’t rush, everything will go smooth today, relax…” and as you become more and more alert you do so without cramming your crumpet in your face while grabbing your items and jaunting out the door – this is the laid back take er easy tea for morning people who want to savor the moments in life. But again, like I said … nothing to write home about. :P

Many many thanks to ashmanra for this tea!!

We were feeling peckish this afternoon, so I put together some toast with butter and strawberry jam, and made a pot of this tea for my husband and I. Oh! We’re in love! It kind of reminds me of Dawn lite – subtle cocoa notes and good tea. Very rich. Earthy. A splash of of milk and scant teaspoon of sugar make it a real treat. I don’t taste anything wine-like, but then again maybe you need to take it plain to get that from it. I would purchase this in a heartbeat, especially now that Dawn is no longer available.

LadyLondonderry

Ah, Winey Keemun … I haven’t had this one in years, but I remember it fondly. I always loved the name and the old-fashioned label on the tin. I’ll have to pick it up again next time I’m in McNulty’s!

ashmanra

I am happy to know that this is similar to Dawn since I was so disappointed that I never got to order it before they closed! I bought this one because I have a daughter named Grace who adores tea and is also a rare gem, so I thought she would like the tin. What a bonus that we loved the tea! I buff my Grace Rare Tea labels with Ellen Hutson’s Microglaze to protect them so we can keep refilling the tin and it will look nice as ever.

Ricky

Did you know Jacqueline has a 455 tasting notes and a bunch without ratings! Stop drinking so much tea!

Bam! 100! Dawn-lite.

JacquelineM

yes! You got it! I’m still thinking about this tea days later!

When I need something that goes with anything I reach for this tea, just as I did this morning. The deep amber-red liquor has a medium-full body that tastes of tea. No, really. It tastes like regular, comforting, no strings attached, black TEA. No bells or whistles, no apologies. It is what it is and sometimes you just need a cup of something that won’t tease or hide behind itself.

41 years ago my new mother-in-law gave me my first tin of GTC winey keemun. I’ve try dozens of other keemun and English breakfast blends in the years since and never found one that pleases me the way this one does. Perhaps because as my “first,” I simply assumed that all keemun was supposed to be “winey” and so few are. It’s too mellow for me as a breakfast tea, but is sublime in the late afternoon — the perfect cross between tea to go with perfect shortbread and a good glass of wine. Enjoy. And try it with the shortbread.