Worm Tea

Black Pu-erh Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Thomas Edward(Toad)

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Ok this one was interesting I liked it most people would probably not like it at first or at all even. It don't really have good aroma to me just an odd smell like that of ancient books in fact...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 456 tasting notes

From Grand Tea

Chong Cha is actually made from the droppings of certain caterpillars. In Chinese literally call it “worm tea”.

Cited from The Food Insects Newsletter, The Research Institute of Insect Resources in Yunnan Province, China. (information come from en.wikipedia.org)

“A study that will not sound too appealing to many Westerners is on the presumed health benefits of Chongcha, a special tea made from the feces of Hydrillodes morosa (a noctuid moth larva) and Aglossa dimidiata (a pyralid moth larva). The former eats mainly the leaves of Platycarya stobilacea. the latter the leaves of Malus seiboldii. Chongcha is black in color, freshly fragrant, and has been used for a long time in the mountain areas of Guangxi, Funan and Guixhou by the Zhuan, Tong and Miao nationalities. It is taken to prevent heatstroke, counteract various poisons, and to aid digestion, as well as being considered helpful in alleviating cases of diarrhea, nosebleed and bleeding hemorroids. Whatever the extent of its preventive or curative benefits, Chongcha apparently serves as a good “cooling beverage” having a higher nutritive value than regular tea."

About Grand Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

Ok this one was interesting I liked it most people would probably not like it at first or at all even. It don’t really have good aroma to me just an odd smell like that of ancient books in fact that exactly how its starts out tasting also almost stale tasting like an old musty book smells, dull and just odd. As steeps went by it got a little better even got quite lively and smooth and refreshing, almost as if were dead at first and came back to life. An acquired taste i’m sure but I liked it ok, it’s worth a try for anyone who enjoys odd flavors. Also pretty much no steep time at all for this one really just pour the water right over it through the strainer into a cup over and over and over.
It’s been a long time since I tried the worm tea, it still taste the same like some old books or newspapers, earthy. Not bad.

TeaEqualsBliss

I have been wondering the same thing, Amy Oh!

Thomas Edward(Toad)

worms make it actually, they poop it out lol Check it out http://www.pu-erh.net/static.php?StaticID=13

TeaBrat

hmm, not sure I need to try this!

Bonnie

I heard about this stuff! Um worm poop tea! How much more earthy can you get?!

Thomas Edward(Toad) mmmmmmmm Pooptea! I cant believe I didn’t use earthy in that one but yep very earthy too.
TheTeaFairy

Chuckle :)
Sorry for being narrow minded, but why on earth would you want to drink worm’s poo? I didn’t know until I read this, but I just realized that my love for tea has its limits!! But it was really nice to learn something new:)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Just cuz I’m weird I guess, I just have strange taste for things
I even eat some bugs :)

TeaBrat

I used to have a worm compost bin and we would put the worm poop on our plants, evidently it is nutritious (at least for plants!)

Kirkoneill1988

At least it doesn’t taste gross ;)