Edit tea info Last updated by AJ

• “My only other experience with Monk's Blend is from a rather unfortunate (and yucky) teabag so I wanted to see how the _real_ blend tasted. The tea was slightly sweet-smelling but not heavily so,...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1629 tasting notes
  • “I pulled this out of my black tea box, steeped it, and by the time I had returned it to the tin, had forgotten what I had made. It was a fun game to figure it out. It seems that the pomegranates...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From Granville Island Tea Co

An OP (orange pekoe) grade of tea, harvested from the high regions of Ceylon and blended with natural pomegranate and vanilla bean flavor.

About Granville Island Tea Co View company

My only other experience with Monk’s Blend is from a rather unfortunate (and yucky) teabag so I wanted to see how the real blend tasted. The tea was slightly sweet-smelling but not heavily so, scented with vanilla and fruity notes (from the grenadine I’m assuming).

The flavours are not terribly bold and I get the impression that the tea base is supposed to take centre stage and that the flavouring is more a compliment than anything else, as opposed to an actual flavoured tea where you mostly get the flavouring rather than the tea.

The result in this case is a mild, smooth-tasting tea with little astringency and enhanced with notes of sweet pomegranate (some people have said that grenadine tastes more like cherry, but this one at least is distinctly pomegranate to me) and hints of vanilla. Not bad.

It seems that the pomegranates are more prominent this time around, but the black base is slightly astringent. The sweet and bitter combination is interesting and will get me through the cup, but I’ll probably switch to something else instead of resteeping.