Gui Fei Oolong

Oolong Tea
Apple, Flowers, Honey, Butter, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Green Terrace Teas

• “This is an interesting oolong, I don't know that I've tasted anything quite like it. It smells like honey and apples and tastes quite the same, mixed with a bit of floral. I can't put my finger...” Read full tasting note
    cookies 79 tasting notes
  • “My last sample from *Green Terrace Teas*. Method: gongfu session with gaiwan. 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 5, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60. The aroma of the dry leaf is like a freshly baked pie...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 131 tasting notes
  • “This is the second bitten-leaf tea I tried from Green Terrace, and I _loved_ the other, Eastern Beauty, rating it one of the best teas I've had. Not so much a fan of this one, though. Brewed...” Read full tasting note
    Jude 97 tasting notes
  • “This tea was my accompaniment to the world cup today. I got 15 steeps out of it (35,25,35,45,55,65,90,80,95,125,180s, 5,6,8,10 min) after the rinse. I found it kind of interesting it started...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 374 tasting notes

From Green Terrace Teas

Gui Fei (貴妃) in Chinese refers to the emperor’s senior concubine, and as such is sometimes called “Concubine Oolong”. It is a very rare and unique tea grown only once a year in Lugu Township, at an elevation of approximately 800 meters. Every growing season, leafhoppers are allowed to bite the tea leaves, causing a chemical reaction as the tree tries to heal itself. After an oxidation and roasting process similar to traditional Dong Ding oolongs, the result is a deliciously fruity tea with a similar yet very distinctive taste to Eastern Beauty. This tea has a natural fruity, honey flavor with notes of apples and almonds. It is exceptionally smooth and lacks just about any sign of astringency – drink pure and enjoy its natural sweetness.

Chinese Name: 貴妃烏龍茶

Origin/ Harvest: Lugu Township, Nantou County, Taiwan 台灣南投縣鹿谷鄉 / Spring 2014

Purchase @ www.greenterraceteas.com

About Green Terrace Teas View company

This is an interesting oolong, I don’t know that I’ve tasted anything quite like it. It smells like honey and apples and tastes quite the same, mixed with a bit of floral. I can’t put my finger on what exactly the floral flavor reminds me of, sort of a mix between honeysuckle and rose. It’s really light and lovely. I personally prefer darker heartier oolongs, but I still really enjoy this one. I think it’s a nice summer tea.
These are also some of the loveliest looking leaves I’ve ever seen. Just a beautiful rainbow of colors that unfurl into nice large leaves.

So far: Rinse, 35s, 35s, 45s, 60s…

Flavors: Apple, Flowers, Honey

190 °F / 87 °C

My last sample from Green Terrace Teas.

The aroma of the dry leaf is like a freshly baked pie with an unusual mix of fruits, which I picked out in the following order: plums, Granny Smith apples, lemons, limes, and orange rinds. The wet leaf aroma is sweet with just a hint of tartness, and is dominated by plums and apples. It’s as if the leaves were asserting, “I’m a FRUIT.” Speaking of the leaves themselves, they’re surprisingly smaller, and their colors are interesting and lovely when they’re completely unrolled. Many of them are army green with rusted red patches.

By golly, what a liquor! The color of white grape juice, it is smooth, medium-bodied, bright, and energetic. I can taste every fruity note I got a whiff of and even a hint of lavender. And it’s so incredibly sweet that the sweetness clings for minutes and minutes after the last sip of each cup.

This tea is one of those that gets one thinking, “Is this really tea??” Wow, so sweet. Very fruit. I am happy to have saved this one for last. I’ve never had a Gui Fei oolong before let alone even heard of it, and although I have no other Gui Fei’s to compare this one to, I still think it’s amazing. I just finished the last infusion at this moment and I feel energized!! A final and a very big thank you to Green Terrace Teas!

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
mj

This sounds amazing! Want!!

KiwiDelight

I could click to the recommend button a hundred times. Such an “Oh my God!!!!” tea.

Stephanie

It is a leaf-hopper tea! You might enjoy other leaf-hopper teas, Kiwi :)

KiwiDelight

I didn’t think tea could be any more fascinating. Neat stuff!

This is the second bitten-leaf tea I tried from Green Terrace, and I loved the other, Eastern Beauty, rating it one of the best teas I’ve had. Not so much a fan of this one, though. Brewed aroma is a nice honeysuckle that somewhat carries through to the flavor, however I am finding the flavor to be somewhat thin. Plus it has a fair amount of astringency.

Writing this review in exchange for Green Terrace’s “Tea for Reviews” sample offer, so I regret not being able to write a more positive review but have to be straight with my fellow Steeps. I did also love the 3rd sample I tried, Li Shan Black, review forthcoming, so overall I am definitely glad to have had the sampling opportunity from Green Terrace.

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea was my accompaniment to the world cup today.

I got 15 steeps out of it (35,25,35,45,55,65,90,80,95,125,180s, 5,6,8,10 min) after the rinse. I found it kind of interesting it started savoury with vegetal,wood, and almond meal among the fruit and floral notes and ended savoury, with fruit and floral notes that vied for dominance within the centre. My favourite steeps were the second set of three where apple, magnolia and honey were the more prominent notes. The other thing I noticed with this tea was a bit of a disconnect between the scent and the taste. With the scent promising warm apples with cinnamon and raisins, whereas the taste was not as sweet and often much more floral than expected. Anyways I did very much enjoy this tea. Below see the scent and taste notes I found. Thanks again Green Terrace Teas this was my first Gui Fei and I appreciate the chance to try it!

Scent: cream, soft creamy floral that opens up to Magnolia, apple flower, apple( which dominates most of the steeping)’ plum,raisins, cinnamon, raw almond, woody tone, light vegetal scent.

Taste: cream, soft creamy floral that opens up to Magnolia, apple flower, pluumeria, apple( which dominates most of the steeping)’ plum,raisins, cinnamon, raw almond, woody tone, artichoke, cooked broccoli stem, musk, celery leaf.

Lala

Wow! 15!

Tamarindel

That’s amazing.

Brew style: Gongfu in gaiwan
Temperature: 205 degrees F

Dry aroma: Flowers, cannot place the exact type, but ones that occur in tropical places, plumeria, creamed honey, sugarcane, ripe tropical fruit, hint of cotton candy
Throat: Hard caramel candy, sweet buttered cinnamon toast, touch of tropical flowers
Wet leaf aroma: Roasting wood and leaves, honey, plumeria, hint of fruit and cinnamon
Brew aroma: Melted butter with brown sugar, flowers, hint of green woods, fruit, small hint of vanilla and almonds
Brew color: Medium gold with tinge of brown
Taste: Overtones of fruit that turns into a sugar like sweetness at the end. Distinct note of plum upfront and apple in the middle alongside other fruits that mingle seamlessly (to the point in which I can only say that it mainly tastes of fresh tropical fruit salad). Small note of woods, almonds, cinnamon and cream. Subtly complex. Slight creamy mouthfeel. Medium length.

205 °F / 96 °C

This one smelled SWEET dry and for the first steep, was just as sweet. It was very fruity but smooth. I steeped it once more, and it was a lot more floral, which was interesting. The strength was about the same each steep, and I imagine if I had enough hours in the day I could get a few more out of this no problem. I definitely recommend it.

Today was NOT good. I started by spilling my AM oolong all over the counter. Then I had to make tea at work where the water temp isn’t high enough. Then I ran around like a crazy person all day because 2 girls are on vacay, so everyone keeps dumping their stuff on ME!

But I had a nice dinner with my Mom and my Aunt, and now I am settling in with a lovely summer thunderstorm and a cup of this tea! On to the review!

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 200 degrees, 2 minutes, Forlife Brew-in-Mug strainer. And of course, the Dr. Who mug because the Doctor always makes you feel better!

Dry Leaf Aroma: Lightly floral and also fruity. What’s that? Dried apples? And this also has a lovely buttery aroma.

Flavor: Interesting. This one has a more subtle flavor than I expected, after going for 2 minutes. It’s a little fruity and has a very pronounced floral taste when slurped. Almost perfumey. I pick up some of the buttery notes, also. I thought this might be a little sweeter, but I haven’t found that to be the case. I’d like this to be a bit stronger, so I am going to try 4 min on the resteep.

It didn’t look like the leaves opened all the way on the first steep, but they definitely unfurled all the way on the second steep. The tea is darker and has a little astringency, but not anything unpleasant. The floral is still present, but not the apple or butter. I think I like the first steep better, though I do pick up a very nice raisin note on this steep! This is a good tea, but I think I can get a little more out of it. I am going to try it gong fu style next time.

Thanks to GTT for the sample!

boychik

Nice samples to try both methods

Sarsonator

Indeed. There’s enough left to try another method, which is awesome!

TheTeaFairy

That’s a leafhopper bitten tea. The one I have from butiki is so sweet and honey like. You remind me I must review my Green Terrace samples as well!

I left the last sample from Green Terrace Teas to this afternoon when I could spend a little time with it. Leafhopper tea! I was very excited to try this oolong.

As with all the other samples this one smelled very fresh dry. I brewed at 195F , gave the leaves a quick rinse and brewed for 40 sec. This tea isn’t as buttery as some of the other light oolongs. It brews up an orange colour and there only a hint of toasty notes in it. A honey sweetness on the tongue. Floral aroma and floral notes. There was apple notes as well. With all this going on, you would think this would be my favourite oolong but it’s not. It is very good but I believe it’s the toasty notes that are not something I love. I did 3 infusions of this tea and it had good flavour on all 3. (40, 60, 60)

I am very thankful to Green Terrace Teas for providing this sample for me to try.

The leaf has a darker fruitier smell than other green oolongs, though brewed it returns to the green and floral, slightly toasty scent (though I think I detect something like apple in there).

I brewed a western two minutes in a teacup, getting a honey yellow liquid; it’s smooth, and I’m mainly getting cream and apple. Not as buttery as some oolongs, although it’s still got that similar mouth-feel to it. Toastier notes when I breathe out, with a touch of honey. It’s really nice to just roll around on your tongue, and I can see myself definitely buying more of this to enjoy.

All three samples came very nicely packaged in labeled vacuum-sealed bags. Long ago I invested in a box of tiny clamps from the office supplies aisle to keep track of my tea samples (I’ve only got the three now, but when I went on a sample-buying spree through Teavivre…).

Since I didn’t rinse it beforehand, the leaves opened up a lot more during the second steep (also 2 minutes). Sticking my nose in there for that sweet appley smell. Taste is definitely stronger; I’d almost have kept the second steep to 1:30, maybe (but it’s not bitter); the apple’s gone completely. Toasty butter, maybe a bit of cream, definite floral notes.

Third steep was definitely a little sharp, very floral.

This is my first bug-bitten oolong! I’m so excited! I received this as a sample from Green Terrace Teas, a new company based in Taiwan. The samples were vacuum sealed in attractive gold foil packaging and labeled elegantly and clearly in both Chinese and English. I am very impressed by how professional these samples are presented!

After a quick rinse of the leaves, I am totally enamored by the aroma of this oolong. There are notes of apples, cream, butter, warm honey and magnolias. I can’t fully describe what I’m smelling here and those are rough estimates. This is unlike anything I’ve encountered, but the smell is so wonderful I sat and smelled it for a strong minute or two before brewing the first infusion.

Despite an even more floral aroma after a quick 30-second steep, the gold liquor yielded by this tea tastes very sweet and mellow. I primarily taste subtle notes of apples, honey and flowers. There’s a very evident hui gan. The taste is surprisingly mellower than the aroma.

The second steeping has all the same flavors. It is exceptionally mellow and honey-like with crisp notes of apple and floral magnolia tones coming through. The brew is a honey-orange color.

As the brewed leaves unfurl completely, they are gorgeously green with red-brown edges. The tiny holes from leaf hopper bites are quite fun to look at, and the tea has become noticeably more floral. By the third and fourth infusion, it is still sweet but more floral. I can see this tea lasting a good many steepings and I intend to sit and enjoy them without thinking and focusing on describing the tea, so I will end my review here. I’ve become rather tea drunk from this one tea. I feel like I’ve become flowing water.

I brewed this gongfu style in a gaiwan for 30 seconds, adding 15 seconds each time at 194F/90C, using 4.5g of leaf per 100ml water.

The only reason I didn’t rate this tea higher is because I wish some of the wonderful complexities of the aroma came through a little more in the flavor. This really is an incredible tea though and one not to overlook.

Flavors: Apple, Butter, Cream, Flowers, Honey