Honey Black Tea

Green Beans, Honey, Smooth, Vegetal, Lychee, Raisins, Caramel, Chocolate, Sour, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Malt, Plums, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Apricot, Butter, Creamy, Custard, Floral, Grain, Oats, Peach, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by green-terrace-teas

• “Working from home today and trying to make a dent in my sample pile before more new tea arrives next week! I believe this one was from Flyawaybirdie’s Christmas card. The leaves are long,...” Read full tasting note
    Inkling 371 tasting notes
  • “This tea is unusual in a good way. It has a distinctive sweet flavor that reminds me of good rum without the alcohol, if you can imagine that. Very round and both soft and bright at the same time....” Read full tasting note
    Jude 140 tasting notes
  • SSTTB Take 2! I set a few samples aside before passing the box on to the next person, and this is one that I was really looking forward to trying as soon as I got over my...” Read full tasting note
    ceylon-star 87 tasting notes
  • Marzipan was generous enough to send me a sample of this one. I’ve been dying to try it since I keep reading all these tasting notes raving about it! I chose all oolongs for...” Read full tasting note
    Ostdalost 726 tasting notes

From Green Terrace Teas

This all-natural, handcrafted black tea is a deliciously sweet and smooth delight. It has a wonderful natural honey flavor and light nutty caramel aftertaste that lingers pleasantly in the back of your throat. This tea is sweet, rich and complex, with notes of peach and plum and almost no bitterness or astringency. Like all other black teas, Honey Black is a fully oxidized tea which gives it a bit more caffeine than its green and oolong counterparts. Drink pure – your friends will be amazed that no honey was added to their cup.

Chinese Name: 蜜香紅茶

Origin/ Harvest: Yuchi Township, Nantou County, Taiwan 台灣南投縣魚池鄉 / Spring 2014

Purchase @ www.greenterraceteas.com

About Green Terrace Teas View company

Working from home today and trying to make a dent in my sample pile before more new tea arrives next week! I believe this one was from Flyawaybirdie’s Christmas card. The leaves are long, dark, and wiry with a light honey aroma. But steeped, this tea has an unexpected scent of green beans! The flavor is also a bit vegetal, reminding me more of a green tea than a black tea (although the color is a deep mahogany brown). The honey flavor comes through mainly in the aftertaste. The tea is super smooth with not even a hint of bitterness or astringency…the silkiness is similar to an oolong. Not really something I’d purchase, but I’m so glad I had the chance to try it and experience a completely black tea from anything else I’ve ever tried!

Flavors: Green Beans, Honey, Smooth, Vegetal

This tea is unusual in a good way. It has a distinctive sweet flavor that reminds me of good rum without the alcohol, if you can imagine that. Very round and both soft and bright at the same time. Fragrance of sweet potato and also green beans. The flavor tastes closer to lychee fruit than honey to me, love that. Slight maltiness. No astringency. Good for multiple resteeps.

Thanks to Tea Sipper for the extra sample – good call!

Flavors: Lychee

SSTTB Take 2!

I set a few samples aside before passing the box on to the next person, and this is one that I was really looking forward to trying as soon as I got over my cold. Now that I can smell and taste properly, I’m sitting down to try it. First western style, and maybe gongfu later. (If not tonight then I have enough to play later).

I was surprised by how long the leaves are. Very long and wispy, it reminds me a bit of a toasted oolong I have, moreso than a black.

There is definitely a honey note! Not overpowering like adding honey to tea can be, but it’s definitely honey-y! This is what I like. I don’t like adding honey to tea because a little goes too far, but this is the perfect balance of malty black tea and rich honey, without being like sipping honey water!

I can see myself getting more of this for sure. It would likely be a go-to straight black if I had it in my cupboard regularly!

OMGsrsly

I like the other black tea better. In fact I think I kept it. :D :D

OMGsrsly

I will make a note for your “after Christmas” card.

I chose all oolongs for my free samples, and didn’t even really think of choosing black teas. Which was clearly a mistake since everyone seemed to love their black teas. So I’m super happy someone was willing to send me a sample!
The name definitely doesn’t lie!
The only other flavor I taste in this tea other than honey is a little bit of raisin, which is kinda odd. xD But it’s a pretty tasty tea! :D I can understand the hype finally.
Thanks for the sample again, Marzipan! :D

Flavors: Honey, Raisins

I’m not a hundred percent sure what I did to this tea to make it hate my tastebuds. I resteeped and tried it on a different day to see if maybe I was at fault, with much the same result. There’s definitely chocolate notes, and the dry leaf smell isn’t super fragrant, but it is lovely with sweet undertones. However, upon brewing this up and taking a sip, honey was not the first thing that I detected. Instead there was a strange, almost pickled flavor to it that was, frankly, not at all appetizing. I don’t know if this is some twisted play on the sweet potato notes that other people have mentioned, or if I completely missed the steeping parameters when I made it. Whatever the case, it was a far cry from my previous experience with Green Terrace Tea’s extraordinary Shan Lin Xi Oolong.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Sour

I ordered a sample a while back at the 50% off sale, and I’m just getting around to trying it.

This tea is quite nice. Just the right amount of malty. It does taste like honey. Yum.

This is a pretty mild tea for a black tea. I thought I would like it more based on all the favorable reviews, but it didn’t make a strong impression on me. Not sure I am crazy about tea that tastes of sweet potato.

8 OZ / 236 ML

I was going to wait a while to dig into my Green Terrace teas, as the sample sizes don’t come in resealable packaging, and I’m still waiting on my resealable bags. But I was feeling in need of a new black tea and this one looked very tempting.

The dry leaf smells amazing. It’s very fruity, with notes of plum and raisin and other dried fruits. The leaf is long, dark and twisted.

Steeped, the leaves are whole and almost two inches long, with a few twigs. It smells very fruit, in that rich, dried autumn fruit way.

It’s quite pleasantly sweet. There are notes of raisins, plum, honey and baked bread. The finish is nice and malty. Body is middle of the road – not thin but not too thick, a bit creamy and no astringency.

This isn’t a remarkable tea but it is very nice and quite tasty.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Plums, Raisins, Sweet

I did a side by side gaiwan tasting with this and Honey Black from Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co. tonight. First, let me say that I don’t care as much for either of these done in this method as I do for them done Western style.

On to the teas. 5 grams each, 150 ml gaiwans, filtered water cooled 2 minutes from boiling. 45 second initial steep, left leaves in water while drinking resulting in approximately 2:30 for second steep.

Dry leaf comparison: BTTC leaves are smaller and more broken up though still large
Liquor comparison: GT is lighter in color
Taste comparison: Both honeyed, both sweetish, BTTC seems spicier. On second steep, BTTC also has sour notes creeping in, though not to an unpleasant level. GT is a lighter bodied tea.

Next is to try both in Western style side by side. From this method, I would not be picky about either one, both are equally good in my opinion.

Well, this tea is certainly tasty. Unfortunately, I am in a surly mood now, having placed my order from this company three times and just been told that I have to place it again.

WHAT?????????????

Cheri

I think they’ve got it fixed now. My last order went through. It is frustrating, though.