Honey Black Tea

Apricot, Baked Bread, Butter, Caramel, Creamy, Custard, Floral, Grain, Honey, Malt, Oats, Peach, Vanilla, Plums, Raisins, Smooth
Edit tea info Last updated by Green Terrace Teas

• “This tea. It's nice enough, but next to the intensity of the Li Shan Black, this tea feels watery and almost bland. It is very gentle and sweet, and would be good for people who aren't really into...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1380 tasting notes
  • “After my really EXCELLENT experience with the Li Shan Black from Green Terrance, I was really looking forward to this tea. Sadly, I did not have a good experience. I tried it first gong fu @ 200F...” Read full tasting note
    mzpriss 103 tasting notes
  • “This is such a unique tea! I don't think I've tried anything like it before. The first thing I notice is how rich and dark it is. With just one sip, I notice thick and heavy notes of molasses. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 518 tasting notes
  • “Fragrant, with a beautiful honey, raisin and lightly malty taste - a bit like bread with jam. A lovely afternoon tea, which re-steeps well. Thank you to Green Terrace Teas for providing the sample...” Read full tasting note
    caile 161 tasting notes

From Green Terrace Teas

This all-natural, handcrafted black tea is a deliciously sweet and smooth delight. It has a wonderful natural honey flavor and light nutty caramel aftertaste that lingers pleasantly in the back of your throat. This tea is sweet, rich and complex, with notes of peach and plum and almost no bitterness or astringency. Like all other black teas, Honey Black is a fully oxidized tea which gives it a bit more caffeine than its green and oolong counterparts. Drink pure – your friends will be amazed that no honey was added to their cup.

Chinese Name: 蜜香紅茶

Origin/ Harvest: Yuchi Township, Nantou County, Taiwan 台灣南投縣魚池鄉 / Spring 2014

Purchase @ www.greenterraceteas.com

About Green Terrace Teas View company

This tea.

It’s nice enough, but next to the intensity of the Li Shan Black, this tea feels watery and almost bland. It is very gentle and sweet, and would be good for people who aren’t really into black teas. It reminds me of a mild, sweet Yunnan black. Delicious, but totally not my thing.

I… love Assams. Strong, dark, rich, malty Assams. So the Li Shan Black with its intensity and carbiness (ugh, how else to describe?) just works better for me.

Definitely give this one a try, but if you like black teas make sure you try the other one as well. :)

After my really EXCELLENT experience with the Li Shan Black from Green Terrance, I was really looking forward to this tea. Sadly, I did not have a good experience. I tried it first gong fu @ 200F 30/30/1:00/1:30/2 and at first thought I would really enjoy it as it had a gorgeous peach-apricot aroma. Sadly, on tasting each steep was really bitter until the 5th when there wasn’t much left but a hay flavor.

I had enough (the samples are REALLY generous) to do a western style cup, so I tried a tablespoon in 10 ounces of 200F water. It wasn’t bitter this way, but tasted odd and I didn’t finish the cup.

I’m wondering if I got a flawed sample. I’m going to refrain from giving this a numerical rating.

Sarsonator

Oh that’s interesting. I had a bad first experience, but it was because I oversteeped it. I had no problems with gongfu. I did a 20 and 40 with 200 degrees. I’m sorry yours didn’t turn out well. It doesn’t sound oversteeped. :(

i always do shorter steeps starting 5/10/15 etc

MzPriss

I have a wee little bit left and can try shorter steeps, but 30 isn’t a really long time. It was way bitter until the last steep. I wanted peachy apricots like it smelled.

Sarsonator

Or maybe you could put it in your beautiful tea cabinet and tell it to calm WAY down.

boychik

what about leaves/water ratio? i do find this tea sensitive, thats why i think shorter steeps would do the trick. just my 2c ;)

MzPriss

I will try it with way shorter steeps and less leaf. Thanks y’all.

This is such a unique tea! I don’t think I’ve tried anything like it before. The first thing I notice is how rich and dark it is. With just one sip, I notice thick and heavy notes of molasses. I’m reminded instantly of a gingerbread cake – soft, sweet and so distinct. This tea would be absolutely perfect for an evening cup during the holiday season. It really does bring to mind gooey, sticky, dripping molasses. Other cups I’ve had bring to mind a dark honey with stone fruits. I personally have to be in the mood for a tea like this as it’s so deeply specific, but it is very much a beauty. Many thanks to Green Terrace Teas for a sample. This has been a real treat to try!

Fragrant, with a beautiful honey, raisin and lightly malty taste – a bit like bread with jam. A lovely afternoon tea, which re-steeps well.

Thank you to Green Terrace Teas for providing the sample for me to try.

Thank you Green Terrace for this sample!

Today was not such a good day for me. I was having such horrible abdominal cramps that I actually left work early, I think it was probably a food reaction. Either that or I’ll be having a very unpleasant week. I came home and napped the afternoon away and then woke up to make tea. =)

Usually the honey tea I’m familiar with is from Milk tea shops. In which case I doubt it has the same type of ‘honey tea’, usually I think of it more along the lines of milk tea+honey+tapioca pearls.

Color me very surprised when this tea brewed actually reminded me of that taste, although thankfully without the sweetness. I set to brewing it, and then forgot about it for awhile as I took out the trash and watered the plants. I brewed at about 190*, which is lower than normal for a black tea, but the result was a really smooth and beautiful light black tea with honey notes. A touch of floral and a touch of creaminess was laced throughout the sip and it wasn’t at all drying. I’m really glad this is a pretty big sample, but even if it wasn’t, this would be on my ‘buy’ list. I can’t wait to try the other two samples.

190 °F / 87 °C 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cameron B.

I love this one, too! And the Eastern Beauty. :D I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Flyawaybirdie

Ooo! I think I got that one as a sample too! I want to try it RIGHT NOW, but I heard this one also resteeps beautifully, so probably another day. =)

Free sample from Green Terrace – thank you.
Gongfu method
4g 100ml gaiwan 200F
Rinse/ 10/10/15/15/20/30 sec etc
Taiwanese teas are perfect for gongfu method. Lots of steeps, some flavors show up and disappear in next steep.
This tea is flavorful and malty. Apricots, plums, cherries and nuts detected. Some steeps I combined in one cup. I enjoyed sipping this tea while my kids had swim meet.
Thank you so much Green Terrace for letting me try this tea. It was fun.

0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Cheri

I’ve been really impressed with the GTT teas that I’ve had so far. I’ll definitely be ordering from them in the somewhat near future.

Cameron B.

I think I have enough of mine left for a gong fu session. I’ll definitely jot down the parameters you used! :D Love this tea!

boychik

Made it last night, still keeps pumping;)
Go Cameron! Gongfu is the best for Chienese and Taiwanese teas.
Ppl think its time consuming, but you can combine steeps (I always try before combining) and to Timolino it goes

Cameron B.

boychik, I don’t mind as much about it being time-consuming because I’m at home all day. Muahaha! :D

Cheri

I do my “pseudo gongfu” at my desk at work. I just have a small cup that I use with an infusion basket, and do it that way. I’m lazy, plus I don’t have a gaiwan at work, but this works really well for me.

Cameron B.

Cheri, I don’t have a gaiwan, so I use two small cups with lids. Sometimes I’ll use my brewing basket just as a sieve to make sure no tea bits get into my drinking cup. Works well enough! :D

One of the samples sent to me by Green Terrace Teas!

Method:
2tsp/10oz
Pre-boiling
Steep 1: 2min
Steep 2: 2min 15
Steep 3: 2min 45

Predominantly I’m getting thick, syrupy honey notes. They’re lovely and sweet without being cloying. There is a mild floral flavor in the background, along with some juicy, fruity tones in the foreground. Some people say peach, but to me, it’s apricot. I’m not quite sure how I make the distinction. There is an elusive winey/muscatel note that peeks out every now and then, but refuses to stick around. As soon as I notice it’s gone again! This tea is smooth, smooth, smooth. Like velvet. And creamy, too! Each sip finishes with notes of buttery, lightly toasted bread. Oats. Grain. Mostly fresh bread. Delicious…SO delicious. Butter, bread, and honey are the notes that linger behind after sipping.

The second steep is very similar to the first. Honey and pastry are at the fore, though a slightly floral element remains in the background. The fruit notes have smoothed out some—it seems that they’ve melded with the honey flavor. They’re not immediately evident. I have to look for them, and they’re a bit less tart. No muscatel here either. There is a distinctly caramel-like flavor that appears at the end of each sip. It’s coupled with a thick, creamy, ice-cream like taste. Vanilla custard! That’s it, or similar enough. Mmmm. It’s a little malty and it coats the tongue with sweetness. This cup was strong—much stronger than expected, given that the tea is so light. Well, let me clarify: the flavors found in the tea are light, but the texture and weight of the tea are not. It has me stymied but I LIKE it! I’m not usually a fan of “light” black teas, and the texture makes up for the “lightness” of flavor. These are flavors I find frequently in less oxidized teas.

In the third steep, the flavors mellowed and evened out a bit more. I still have intense honeymouth. It’s good, but not as layered or complex as previous infusions. (That or I’m just too tired to tell.) The leaves could probably be used at least once more. I wish I could continue, but it’s past my bedtime. (:

Marvelous, marvelous tea. I’m so glad I could try it!
I’m ordering this as soon as I get the chance.

Also: 100th TASTING NOTE!

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Butter, Caramel, Creamy, Custard, Floral, Grain, Honey, Malt, Oats, Peach, Vanilla

Woohoooo Grats on 100 notes!

TheTeaFairy

Congrats, and lovely review as always :-)

boychik

Sounds yummy! Congrats on 100!

KiwiDelight

Congrats on your 100th review!!

Ost

Congrats!! Also you made that tea seem so much more in my book :O I’ll have to try it.

kimquat

Thanks so much! :D

@Ost, you must. If I order mine before yours I’ll send you a sample!

My second sample from Green Terrace Teas and it’s very good. It’s tasty all by itself. A little fruit/raisin, some dark honey sweetness. The leaves in this, btw, HUGE and holds up to resteeps pretty well too.

Thank you again Green Terrace for this sample! I really enjoyd the Li Shan Black, but this one just blows that one away IMO. It’s bright and sweet, and has a honeyed sweetness that lingers on your tongue. Surprisingly, I’m also getting floral notes, like in a lighter oolong. And peach?

Also, as it cools, the honey notes become even more apparent. Mind = blown.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to review this! It was my pleasure. :) Would I pay $23.50 for 100g of this? Yes. Yes I would.

Brew style: Gongfu in gaiwan
Temperature: 200 degrees F

Dry aroma: Roasted wood, honey, raisins, cherry, milk chocolate, very sweet chamomile flowers
Throat: Nutty, caramel, cream, milk chocolate, a hint of fruit
Wet leaf aroma: Roasted nuts, pure cacao, vanilla, cream, caramel
Brew aroma: Immediate plum, then caramel, nuts, vanilla, cream, milk chocolate.. a more subdued sweetness than the dry aroma
Brew color: Light to medium tawny brown, very clear
Taste: Honey hits first and then is followed by notes of milk chocolate and plum. Some notes of orchid in the middle. Honey and some faint notes of nuts and caramel linger. Long length. No astringency. Very smooth and quite mellow.

200 °F / 93 °C