Li Shan High Mountain Oolong

Oolong Tea
Baked Bread, Floral, Jasmine, Lavender, Sweet, Vegetal, Creamy, Mango, Spices, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by Green Terrace Teas

From Green Terrace Teas

Li Shan, or “Pear Mountain”, is named after the abundant pear orchards that originally occupied the region. In addition to its rich soil, Li Shan’s high altitude maintains a cool and moist climate that is ideal for creating superior quality tea. Our spring harvest was grown at an elevation of about 2,000 meters, or over 6,500 ft! Tea from Li Shan has a very high demand due to its limited supply and superior quality. Floral and fruity in character, this tea also has a very clean, soft mouth feel and evokes exotic flavors such as mango and tropical fruit. Can be steeped multiple times without losing flavor.

Chinese Name: 梨山烏龍茶

Origin/ Harvest: Lishan, Heping District, Taichong City, Taiwan 台灣台中市和平區梨山村 / Spring 2014

Purchase @ www.greenterraceteas.com

About Green Terrace Teas View company

I just have a sample of this, and I’m disappointed that now the smallest size it’s available in is 15og that I will not be getting. Too much tea.

Ah well.

I like this tea. Floral. Creamy. Buttery. Sweet. Tasty.

I’m trying to battle the sore throat that has come from out of nowhere, and this seemed like it might help. Not sure that it is, but hey, it tastes good.

TeaTiff

Oh man. I really liked all the samples from Green Terrace Teas. They should sell smaller sizes. Maybe a group order someday? I hope you get feeling better too!

Marzipan

I emailed them last week, they said 50g sizes will be back.

TeaTiff

Good to hear. They had some really nice oolongs.

boychik

Feel better Cheri.

I got a sample of this tea - LOVED IT! Many steeps, subtle and floral.

Oh my god, I’m excited for this tea. After having Green Terrace’s amazing Li Shan black the other day, I just had to dig into this.

The dry leaf is tightly rolled into small green pellets and doesn’t smell like much, but steeped, the bready, sweet notes that I loved in the black are coming out, along with some nice floral notes.

Now that this has cooled enough to drink, I’m quite enjoying it. Some of the bready notes come through on the palate, along with a bit of vegetal tang, but the dominant note is a really lovely floral, complimented by just a hint of astringency. Reminiscent of jasmine and even a bit of lavender.

The start of the sip isn’t super great – it has a bit of that under-leafed hot water taste when it first hits my tongue, but the flavour and complexity build quickly, and the finish is quite powerful. I’m not sure that I’d actually want to add more leaf or more time to this.

Second steep was very similar. A bit heavier on the bread and lighter on the floral.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Floral, Jasmine, Lavender, Sweet, Vegetal

I’m drinking this at the same time as Alishan and Shan Lin Xi, all from Green Terrace. They all have quite distinct personalities! I started with the Alishan and this was quite the departure from that oolong. This oolong is crazy fruity to me. There’s a hint of a creamy mouthfeel and then BAM, mango in my mouth. I honestly couldn’t believe it when I took the first sip. I’m getting not only mango with some sweetness, but also a subtly spicy finish. I kept thinking that it reminded me of a dessert I had had, but couldn’t remember what. I finally figured it out- it reminds me a lot of mango mousse that is served in Indian restaurants. Yum! I don’t know if all Li Shans are like this, but it was definitely a unique experience for me.
Also, when did Green Terrace change so that the minimum quantity of tea is 150g? I just bought 10g of a bunch of their teas to try and would like to buy more, but that’s honestly a huge deterrent.

Flavors: Creamy, Mango, Spices

Cameron B.

Yeah, I noticed that too… They got rid of the sample sizes and changed the minimum to 150g for rolled oolongs and 50g for everything else. :(

Anlina

Not being able to buy small quantities irks me so much. I will happily try 10-25g of almost anything, but if I have to buy 50 or more then I have to know I love it or I have to be very, very intrigued.

mj

It definitely irks me too! I actually know that I love their Alishan enough to buy it, but I don’t want 150g at once. I have way too many other teas to be able to drink all that before it gets too old! I emailed the company to suggest that they bring back the smaller sizes, but I haven’t heard back.

Thank you, Green Terrace Teas, for a sample!

This is a really nice green oolong! Floral, fruity and sweet. I enjoyed a lot of infusions out of this tea. This is one I could definitely keep on hand. Thank you for allowing me to try this wonderful tea.

This is a wonderful light oolong. Floral with fruity notes (melon). Only slightly astringent. 3 infusions brewed at 30s, 45s, & 60s. I like the first two infusions better. I think 60s was a bit too much as it give it too much punch. I like my oolongs very light. I think I will try a little more of this later in the day. In my tiny yixing teapot, the leaves were still uncurling with the 2nd and 3rd infusion so there’s lots of flavour left there.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity

So I know I started out with drinking oolongs wrong when i first got into tea. My dad has a worker in China who has stayed at our house a few times over the years. She always used to just put a bunch of tea leaves in her cup and then keep adding water. Over-steeping did not exist in her world. And neither did it in mine till I found this forum. xD
Sometimes I like to still be a bad tea drinker and drink tea like that, without a strainer. I’ve been tempted to do that with these Green Terrace Teas. They are too light for me it feels like. Perhaps I am used to drinking strong and sometimes bitter oolongs, so when I drink the vegetable, floral kinds they’re too light for me.
The steeping time on Steepster says a minute, but after doing it for a minute I wanted it to be stronger so I steeped it for a bit longer.
Was hoping for a stronger Li Shan like I’ve had in the past but like the other sample I tried it’s light and floral-y. I mean, it is a bit stronger than the other of course. But not strong enough for me I suppose.
I’m hard on teas. :P

Cameron B.

I generally find green oolongs too light for me. And too floral. :P

Ost

Yeahhh I need something stronger!!

TheTeaFairy

Your method Is not silly at all Ost, I drink lots of green teas that way in a tall glass, and they don’t turn bitter. Some call this method “Laoshan style”. I learned how to do it a few years ago on Verdant’s website. You just refill when the glass gets 2/3 empty. It never fails, especially with Dragonwell. Someone told me recently they tried that method with almost all types of teas and it worked every time, with no bitterness. I have yet to try it with oolong, now you got me curious, I will try very soon and let you know :-)

Cheri

I haven’t tried that, but it sounds good. Thanks for the tip!

Ost

TheTeaFairy, really? I feel like everyone actually pays attention to steeping times. Usually when I know I like an oolong tea I’ll just put the leaves in and drink it like that. But since I joined here I feel like it’s not a good thing haha
Good to know that I’m not the only person that does it that way though!

Now, I know tasting notes are shared personal experiences. I also know each of us interprets the flavors differently. I know this, but my experience does not seem to parallel anyone else on this tea. Where everyone else got flowers and fruit, I got corn with a creamy feel. I did notice some bite early on that faded as it cooled. Also a bit of dryness as the floral notes finally show up in the aftertaste. As the cup cooled I did have a brief Pina Colada moment. With cup two I swear I got potato with a spicy note similar to cinnamon. Where are these coming from? I washed everything before I started. Just weird. Good, but weird. The floral notes once again hold off until the aftertaste and come out to play a bit more when the cup cools. It isn’t until cup three and four that this started out floral in the nose and stayed that way. Of course odd ball me also had earthy or gentle cave notes on cup three and the spicy note returned on four. I very much enjoyed this tea but my experience is so different from what I expected and what others had that I am left puzzled. Cups 1 and 2 were sipped yesterday with 3 and 4 brewed today. I used one tsp of leaf and a 5 oz cup. The water was at 190 F. Steeps were 1.5 m, 1 m, 1 m, and 2 minutes.

yyz

I only used gongfu brewing on this tea so I don’t know if that made a difference. I did get savoury elements, and I could see cinnamon evolving from the floral spice element. I tend to be lighter on the leaf as well, so that combined with steeping method could have resulted in the difference.

gmathis

Everlasting Gobstopper tea!

yyz

Maybe:). With each layer revealing something new.

K S

I like the way you guys think.

Delicious gaoshan. This has a nice, light body with light fruit and florals going on. This is subtler than most gaoshans I’ve had, which is refreshing. I’d definitely consider buying this again. The leaves are a bit more broken than I would like, but that may be because of the small sample size packaging.

This tea was excellent, it surpassed my expectations and was a joy to experience. The leaves are a dark green color, rolled into small clumps that pack a powerful aroma and flavor. The aroma is light and refreshing with hints of sweet fruits and floral undertones. It brews a beautiful light green/yellow and tastes heavenly. It starts with a sweet flavor again accompanied by floral undertones. It has a light astringency, bringing attention to the full-bodied character of the oolong. Overall this tea was wonderful and it comes HIGHLY recommended.

Iced