Premium Jin Xuan Milk Oolong

Oolong Tea
Creamy, Kale, Lemon, Milk, Seaweed, Sugar, Vanilla, Butter, Cream, Floral, Spinach, Apricot, Peach, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Green Terrace Teas

• “I'm feeling quite Tea Drunk so please excuse any rambly-ness. I THINK that this is my first milk oolong? But I'm not really sure. Seriously I feel like milk oolong is soo talked up on all the...” Read full tasting note
    flyawaybirdie 97 tasting notes
  • “This is one of 3 free smapels I received from greem terrace. I was waiting until I had quiet time and no allergies to start sampling. This one surprised me with how delicious and logn lasting it...” Read full tasting note
    bizbee1 42 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Green Terrace Teas for the free shipping code! :) I am quite liking this tea! I don't have much experience with oolongs, but I have to say that this one has flavours I like. It's a...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1424 tasting notes
  • “Finally broke down on this crazy restrictive diet and said I'm having a tea or else I'll blow the whole diet and have something else. So a tea it was. Brewed this in my teeny tiny yixing teapot....” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 201 tasting notes

From Green Terrace Teas

Known as “Milk Oolong”, Jin Xuan is a relatively new cultivar that has a unique natural milk and osmanthus aroma. Unlike many low-quality Jin Xuan varieties that have added milk flavoring, this varietal has absolutely no milk involved in its production, which is especially evident in its natural fragrance and lack of astringency. Our premium Jin Xuan was harvested at about 1,300 meters (4,265 ft.). It has a lovely buttery and creamy body, with a sweet milky essence and floral notes. As an added benefit to its delicious flavor, Jin Xuan Oolong is also known for containing an abundance of antioxidants, which may reduce the effects of aging.

Chinese Name: 金萱烏龍茶

Origin/ Harvest: Alishan, Chiayi County, Taiwan 台灣嘉義縣阿里山鄉 / Spring 2014

Purchase @ www.greenterraceteas.com

About Green Terrace Teas View company

I’m feeling quite Tea Drunk so please excuse any rambly-ness.

I THINK that this is my first milk oolong? But I’m not really sure. Seriously I feel like milk oolong is soo talked up on all the various tea blogs and discussion boards that it’s been on my wishlist since I’ve been on Steepster. Thank you Green Terrace for the sample!

So I didn’t really know what to expect. I generally like oolong, and I have a love/hate relationship with milk. There are times when I really like it, and there are times when I really can’t stand it- and it’s not even like I’m lactose intolerant, well maybe a little, but it’s just the taste/texture. When I’m in a milk drinking mood, it’s almost always non-fat or whole, there’s just no in-betweens. So I’ve been in a ‘milk is OK’ run this week, so it was the best time to try this, I felt, just in case, you know? haha.

This is a light oolong, green and with a heavier mouthfeel. I think this is were others get the ‘milk’ texture. The heavier mouthfeel is denser and slightly creamy, but not in a fatty way. It’s a rather more green oolong than I’m used to. The taste is quite sweet and soothing. I can see why soo many people find milk oolongs addicting.

It doesn’t remind me of cow milk, or soy or but milk, or even milk candy. It’s mostly (for me) a textural phenomenon. But if I wasn’t tipped off by the name, I might not have associated it with milk at all. It would just be ‘awesome oolong’. =D

This tea EXPANDS. A LOT. I probably overleafed it. I used 1 tbs/12oz, but short steeps. I’ve gotten through 4 steeps of this one, and added to the other teas I’ve had this evening, I wonder if I’m ever going to go to sleep. The liquor with a short steep is quite green and bright. If you let it brew longer it deepens to a tan-green color. The liquor remains clear throughout the brews and sweet to taste.

This is the last of the samples Green Terrace sent me in exchange for reviews. I need to clean up the reviews before posting on their site, but I was glad to get the chance to try the teas. I definitely want to hit up their current sale too. Anyone have other recommendations? I’m thinking this one and Honey Black.

Marzipan

Li Shan black and Eastern Beauty oolong are great.

KiwiDelight

I love the Gui Fei oolong.

Flyawaybirdie

where do you input the coupon code? Is it after you put in all your information?

Marzipan

Yes, it’s after the address page.

Cheri

I really liked their Shan Lin Xi Premium High Mountain Oolong and Four Seasons Spring Oolong. Both have great mouthfeel.

boychik

Li Shan black

This is one of 3 free smapels I received from greem terrace. I was waiting until I had quiet time and no allergies to start sampling. This one surprised me with how delicious and logn lasting it is. I brewed it gonfu style (in a tiny western style pot). I was surprised by how vegetal and floral the dry leaves smelled. They traveled so far and tightly wrapped I thought they would have little aroma but they smelled like kale, Meyers lemon and something floral. The first brews 30 and 45 sec were a very light liquid with a fair amount of that kale scent. The taste also kale and kelp with some lemon. The leaves didn’t’ fully unfurl until brews 3-4 and then the milky flavor also started to develop with the lemon dropping out. Surprise is brews 5-6 were sweeter and a bit vanilla with cream then more of the florals which continued to develop. Brews 5-6 floral almost jasmine like with a hint of kale scent and still creamy and sweet. 7! and *! less creamy still sweet and floral. I had to do 9 to see and still an oolong scent and sweet flavor. I brewed a 10th and it still had some sweetness and overall green tea flavor but I had drunk so much tea by then I set it aside and I’ll do a second sampling soon to be sure. This is one very pleasant and long lasting milk oolong. Not as much milk/cream as some but I am loving the green floavor and scent!

Flavors: Creamy, Kale, Lemon, Milk, Seaweed, Sugar, Vanilla

170 °F / 76 °C

Thanks to Green Terrace Teas for the free shipping code! :)

I am quite liking this tea! I don’t have much experience with oolongs, but I have to say that this one has flavours I like. It’s a little green, a little like buttered corn, a little spinachy, and floral. I’ve been sipping on it as it cools, then making another cup.

The first steep at 1 minute was very buttery and very light.

The second steep at 2 minutes smells a little spinachy and very sweet like lilacs, and tastes quite creamy.

The third steep at 2 minutes is very similar to the second. I could probably get more steeps out of this, but instead I am focusing on making cookies and popsicles. :)

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Floral, Spinach

195 °F / 90 °C 1 tsp 7 OZ / 207 ML

Finally broke down on this crazy restrictive diet and said I’m having a tea or else I’ll blow the whole diet and have something else. So a tea it was. Brewed this in my teeny tiny yixing teapot. At least with the pot being so tiny, it reduces the amount of caffeine I’ll be getting. I remember getting this teapot and thinking “You’ve got to be kidding!”. Now I think I prefer super tiny pots!

I brewed for 30 sec on the first steeping. Noticed the wonderful floral notes. My breathing is getting a bit better from the diet so I’m smelling and tasting more. Although I smelled floral notes, nothing came through floral in the taste. This oolong is very clean, clear tasting oolong. That may sound contradictory since it also has a buttery, milky flavour. It’s a bit lighter than other milk oolongs I’ve had. I noticed from other reviews that most prefer a heavier milky taste & aroma with milk oolongs but I think this one has it’s place depending on what you prefer or feel like.

2nd & 3rd infusions were still good at 45 sec each. The milky , buttery flavour seemed lighter.
I think next time I have this tea, I might play around a bit with the steep times to see what different tastes come out.

What a piece of heaven in my day. Since it’s been awhile since I’ve had a cup of anything but peppermint or rooibos, it tastes like heaven to me. I think this tea has make me calmer instead of feeling a rush of caffeine.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Milk

The scent of this tea reminds me of buttered corn. It smells very rich and creamy! I can’t wait to see what this one tastes like… always eager to try a new milk oolong!

Sipping… this is so weird, but what I’m tasting is really buttered corn. It has that rich sweetness that corn kernels have, but a nice buttery background as well. What I like about it is that it’s on the sweeter end of things and not the savory. It’s not sugary like some other milk oolongs out there, but still retains enough of that sweetness to make the cup delicious. The entire sip is smooth and gentle. This is really tasty. I wouldn’t say that this is my favorite milk oolong in the world, but it’s buttery, unique and very enjoyable.

Thank you so much, Green Terrace Teas for a sample of this tea!

Sample from Green Terrace Teas – Jin Xuan Milk Oolong:
This is my first sample from Green Terrace Teas, free for reviewing. :D I believe this is my second milk oolong I’ve ever tried. My first was Mandala Tea’s Milk Oolong which tasted very different to me than this one, most noticeably – the Mandala Tea one had strong creamy, coconut smell and taste. The Green Terrace Teas’ Milk Oolong simply smelled like oolong upon opening the sealed packet. I appreciate the well packaged sample, btw. The taste was good – not too floral (I don’t like strong floral taste) and it was smooth, not astringent at all, a little creamy but not much so. Thank you Green Terrace Teas!

Sipdown!

I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by milk oolongs so far, I find they don’t have the level of creaminess that I expect. I do enjoy the peach notes, but green oolongs in general tend to be quite floral, which can be okay but it’s not something I’d choose. Sarsonator put forth the suggestion that I try them western style but with a lower temperature and longer steep, so I figured I’d try that with this one.

The taste is nice but it just doesn’t say “milk” to me. I don’t have much experience with green oolongs so maybe I’m just not seeing the difference here. It does have good peach notes and the floral is at a minimum with this preparation, so that’s nice. It’s mildly vegetal and it reminds me of squash. The aftertaste is all peach and apricot. This tea is quite nice but I think the genre in general is just not for me.

185 °F / 85 °C 5 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Marzipan

Newbie question: are milk oolongs usually more green?

Cameron B.

I have no idea if they always are, but I’ve had three varieties so far and they’ve all definitely been green oolongs. Someone who knows things, answer this! :P

Cheri

All the ones I’ve had have been green.

This is the last of my three samples from GTT. It was the one I thought I would like the best, so I saved it for last so as not to drag my like of the others down.

I should have had this one first.

It’s good, it’s nice, but it’s not as great as I wanted it to be. It’s got a good mouthfeel, heavier than the other two oolongs I had from GTT, definitely more creamy while those were buttery. But the flavor is lacking. It’s not as good as the flavor on either of those.

Dang.

sherapop

I am kicking myself for not having requested oolongs. What was I thinking? Taiwan? Hello????

Cheri

The other two were outstanding. This one was really nice, but I’ve had better milk oolongs. The sample prices are very reasonable, and I think they might still be offering free shipping for samples for reviews….

This is pretty tasty – it smells and tastes very smooth and sweet, as the name would suggest. It gets a bit more floral for me in the third steep and beyond, and I got tired of resteeping after 5, so I can’t say how long this one would last. I have tried a few milk oolongs now and I enjoy them.

This is the second sample I received from Green Terrace Teas. I chose three oolong, as I feel I haven’t spent enough time with oolong and I do really adore them. This is my third time trying a Jin Xuan, and I already have a personal favorite Jin Xuan so I’m curious to see how this one will sit with me.

The first thing I notice is how subtle the scent of this tea is. After an initial rinse, there’s a very creamy aroma with notes of butter and vanilla. It almost smells like the crust on a creme brulee.

I’ve noticed many of my oolong becoming too flowery and heady a few Gongfu style steepings in, so I’ve cut down my initial start time on them to 15 seconds rather than 30. So far so good. The initial steeping of course is very light now and carries the subtelties of the tea. I’m getting very light notes of cream, toasted sugar, and butter. There’s a very mild floral aroma in the leaves, but it does not come through in the taste (yet).

This tea already differs quite significantly from my favorite Jin Xuan, which is called Jin Xuan Dong Ding because it is grown on Mt. Dong Ding. That variety has fruity notes common to Dong Ding oolong, I am guessing because of the terroir of the region, but the creamy notes of Jin Xuan come through as well since that is the varietal they are growing in that instance. This Jin Xuan from Green Terrace is very creamy, but does not have fruit aromas or flavors. I think it is closer to what Jin Xuan is typically known to be like.

The second steeping is similar to the first and still somewhat light. By the third steeping I am getting a more rich flavor, quite buttery with floral hints and a slightly vanilla aftertaste. Great hui gan. Four steepings in and it’s getting even more rich. I’m expecting at any moment for one of these steepings to fully unleash the creeping floral tones that I keep getting whiffs of, but much to my surprise it stays very creamy and soft while those floral hints stay in the background. It’s nice.

After a full five steepings, this tea is staying flavorful and is not getting particularly stronger or more floral or astringent. In my opinion that is a good thing for a tea that is meant to have a creamy, rich, mellow flavor. The flavor doesn’t really change much from one steeping to the next. It is pretty consistent, but builds on itself in richness.

I will call myself spoiled on the Jin Xuan Dong Ding I mentioned earlier. I really prefer its fruity-creamy blend of flavors. This Jin Xuan from Green Terrace is agreeable though, and I think those looking for a strictly milky, creamy tasting Jin Xuan will not be disappointed.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Vanilla