Shan Lin Xi Premium High Mountain Oolong

Oolong Tea
Butter, Green, Honey, Orchid, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by Green Terrace Teas

• “The last of my samples, another Green Terrace chose for me. It smells nicely floral (maybe orchids). The flavour is light, buttery, and green. Teas like this are trying to make me prefer green...” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 345 tasting notes
  • “I haven't been leaving too many tea reviews lately. My asthma has built up so bad over the last few months (little by little). I have started a special diet to help with that so that's one of the...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 191 tasting notes
  • “Final GTT sample! As with all of the teas, I used half the sample. I'm sorry to say that this one didn't blow me away like the rest of the samples did. It's good, but is flat and lacking in body,...” Read full tasting note
    apt 36 tasting notes
  • “Ooh! Free samples for reviewing. I'm down with that. I just feel badly that these have sat for a week and a half because I had too many teaboxes all at once. I did this one pseudo gongfu again,...” Read full tasting note
    cheri0627 298 tasting notes

From Green Terrace Teas

This crisp, lightly oxidized oolong is grown in the Shan Lin Xi region of Nantou county. At about 1,800 meters, the cool and humid climate surrounding the region provides the ideal conditions for producing high-quality gao shan cha (high mountain tea). Shan Lin Xi is light and refreshing with vegetal and mineral notes, and a sweet aftertaste. Its smooth, creamy body is accentuated by cool floral undertones that are very distinctive from other high mountain teas grown in Taiwan. We recommend brewing this selection in a small porcelain teapot or gaiwan.

Chinese Name: 杉林溪烏龍茶

Origin/ Harvest: Zhushan Township, Nantou County, Taiwan 台灣南投縣竹山鎮杉林溪 / Spring 2014

Purchase @ www.greenterraceteas.com

About Green Terrace Teas View company

The last of my samples, another Green Terrace chose for me. It smells nicely floral (maybe orchids). The flavour is light, buttery, and green. Teas like this are trying to make me prefer green oolongs (which I do like, but usually after lunch.)

Flavors: Butter, Green

I haven’t been leaving too many tea reviews lately. My asthma has built up so bad over the last few months (little by little). I have started a special diet to help with that so that’s one of the reasons too I’m not drinking much tea. I’m not supposed to have any tea at all in the first part of the diet but this morning I’m so groggy and congested I need just a little to get going. Thought I would try this tea.

I did a quick rinse on the leaves. It has a wonderful floral aroma ( I wonder how much better that would be if I could breathe right?) of orchids. There is light butter/honey notes. Only did 2 infusions. I read some of the other reviews and see this tea changes from more infusions but I have to watch my caffeine intake. Will maybe leave the leaves for another time.

Flavors: Butter, Honey, Orchid

Christina

Has the change in diet helped any? I hope you feel better soon.

MzPriss

Oh I’m so sorry about your asthma and I hope you feel much better soon! I love orchid-y oolongs sooo much.

Ubacat

Thanks Christina. I’m on the Candida diet. I know from past experience some of the foods that’s slowly starting slipping into my diet causes Candida growth in my digestive system which in turn causes my asthma. I’m also allergic to mold & stuff released by the trees spring and fall. To feel the benefits from the diet takes some time. Could be weeks or might be months depending on how severe the candida was in my system.

Thanks MzPriss. I love orchid-y oolongs too. I bet this will be an amazing tea when I can breathe! lol I was wondering way back why some on here would taste notes and I could never taste them! I lived with the asthma so long I forgot it was there some days – until I tried to keep up with my exercise and couldn’t do it.

yyz

I hope your feeling better soon. There are a lot of allergies around here recently. I stopped running outside after I started developing rashes after doing it, in the early summer. Candida can be kind of assiduous, I would probably do well to go on some detox regime as well. My mom used to work for Dr D’Adamo at one point and at times I have followed it to the letter, but generally my sweet tooth/bread loving half gets the better of me. Cranberry tea with cinnamon helps me during these periods as well.

mrmopar

Feel better soon!

Final GTT sample! As with all of the teas, I used half the sample. I’m sorry to say that this one didn’t blow me away like the rest of the samples did. It’s good, but is flat and lacking in body, flavor, and complexity. The incredible floral notes I get from other ShanLinXi teas are pretty lacking in this one. It’s also quite soapy, a trait that is undesirable in gaoshan oolongs. This is almost the same price as the incredible Lishan oolong, so I see no point in buying this.

Ooh! Free samples for reviewing. I’m down with that. I just feel badly that these have sat for a week and a half because I had too many teaboxes all at once.

I did this one pseudo gongfu again, because even though I’m at home with all my equipment, I’m just feeling lazy this morning and I didn’t want to break it all out. I wanted to relax and enjoy tea, so that is what I am doing.

I did a quick rinse. I sometimes drink the rinse on oolongs, sometimes I don’t. I always try it, and sometimes I just drink the one sip, sometimes I drink about half. This one, I drank the whole thing. On the first sip, all I could think was, “wow! This is incredibly sweet and creamy!” It was delicious.

Anyway, the early infusions are less mineral and more floral, but in the later infusions, the mineral and vegetal flavors really shine, but it still finishes amazingly sweet and floral. through every infusion, I noticed how creamy and smooth this tea felt in my mouth.

I really enjoyed this one. I highly recommend several short infusions, increasing the time with each one, to truly enjoy all of the different flavors. Every single infusion has been different, but really nice. I’m still drinking this one.

I have a sad confession, I am currently hiding from my bedroom. Since I spend all my time in my Tea Lair, I tend to ignore my bedroom and just interact with it when I am sleeping. Somehow, it has become a disaster (ok, not somehow, it is a combo of Ben working, it being too hot to do anything upstairs, and me hiding in the basement) and I need to clean it. I really don’t want to clean it, being a responsible adult is lame sometimes.

Recently on Steepster, new company Green Terrace Teas offered samples of three of their teas in exchange for reviews. I of course jumped on it like it was the last Furby on Christmas Eve in 1998, of course when the nice little vacuum sealed packaged arrived trying to decide which one to try first was the hard part. I closed my eyes and picked at random, coming out with Shan Lin Xi Premium High Mountain Oolong, a Taiwanese Oolong grown high in the mountains (1,800 meters to be exact) of Nantou, Taiwan. After my initial glee at opening the vacuum package (the air rushing back in always amuses me immensely) it was time for sniffing. The aroma is a very fresh smelling blend of buttery, a tiny bit of sesame seed nuttiness, mountain vegetation, sweet orchids, and a bit of fresh cream. It smells rich and clean, I do not say that often but the aroma reminds me of clean mountain air, which I should mention is a smell that I greatly miss.

It is no real surprise that this tea is going into my gaiwan, after its initial dance with water the aroma is less nutty and almost all floral. There are notes of orchid and honeysuckle with a surprising finish of spicebush. The liquid, liberated from its soggy leaf friends, is quite sweet! There are notes of honey, sweet cream, a touch of floral and a finish of sesame seeds.

Time for the first steep, and what a light and delicate one it is! It starts out with a very smooth, buttery mouthfeel which matches the sweet creamy taste. This fades to alpine vegetation and then it is like a small explosion of flowers in my mouth. The finish is sweet flower nectar, orchids, and honeysuckle. As with most first steeps of oolongs, I look forward to seeing what kind of journey the leaves will take me on.

The aroma on the second steep is intense! There is such a strong floral presence that I feel like I have stuck my nose in bouquet of fresh flowers, there are notes of hyacinth, orchid, honeysuckle, and a tiny bit of spicebush. Starting with the mouthfeel (because that really does seem to be the first thing I notice when sipping) it is smooth, a mix between buttery and velvety, it fills up the mouth. The taste on this steep is quite rich, it starts with a strong alpine vegetation note, this transitions to a gentle sweetness and floral notes. After that there is a slightly mineral finish that reminds me of rainwater. The aftertaste is sweet, like honey, and lingers.

Third steeping time, the aroma is not as intense, but it is a little more varied. There are still strong notes of orchid, but now we have alpine vegetation and a bit of minerals. The aroma of this tea has a great ‘transportation’ effect, it very much so reminds me of being in the mountains in summer, sitting near a spring, enjoying the blooming flowers. The taste is smooth and buttery, with strong hints of green. It reminds me of fresh growing things. The finish is mineral and a touch of sweet. The mouthfeel this time starts out smooth and fades to a mild dryness at the finish.

For the fourth and final steep, things are winding down. The aroma is a delicate blend of flowers, sweet honey, and a light finish of mineral. The taste is has returned to delicate, it starts off sweet like flower nectar, this fades to alpine vegetation. The finish is back to sweet, but this time it is honey instead of nectar. This tea took me on a pleasant journey to the mountains during high summer, I am glad for the adventure.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/07/green-terrace-teas-shan-lin-xi-premium.html

Flavors: Green, Honey, Mineral, Orchid

Kaylee

I love that you have a Tea Lair!