San Mateo Yerba Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by dnuzum

From Guayaki

Sourced from the rainforest of the San Mateo region in Southern Brazil, this air-dried yerba mate is bright and lively. Sustainably sourced from preserved rainforest and reforestation projects in the Southern Brazil, this yerba mate has a graceful light body with an herbaceous nose, and sweet delicate crisp finish.

About Guayaki View company

amazing, a staple for breakfest. love the taste and experince of drinking from the gourd

145 °F / 62 °C 8 min or more

I fell in love with yerba mate since I first tried their bottled and canned products. When ever I need the boost of coffee, the relaxation and taste of tea I go for yerba any day of the week!

I guess I could get used to unsmoked yerba afterall… The leaves are surprisingly fragrant after adding a few drops of cool water to them. It smells piney, citrusy, and very woody. I guess I never could have noticed this sort of complexity until I let my palate reset itself after drinking only strong smoky yerba. Normally, smoke seems to meld all the flavors together in yerba, but I guess it makes the flavor more unidimensional. The complexity of this yerba, however, makes me think of walking in the woods and being surrounded by pine trees and fallen trees. Bright, piney, citrusy, combined with dark earthy and woody.

I got introduced to this tea by two Argentine in Mexico, talk about odd but it was love at first taste. Now it’s the first thing I reach for in the morning. Enough said.

This stuff is pretty good no matter what way you prepare it or drink it. The first time I had it I was very shocked at the difference in taste from traditional yerba mate. But, this isn’t a bad thing at all. San Mateo has a very youthful and bright flavor and is great for an afternoon perk up and especially great in the summertime as an iced beverage. I love this stuff!