Yerba Maté Chocolatté

Yerba maté Tea
Chocolate, Earth, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by bdizzy

• “Ok, I managed to go one day without having a cup or three of yerba mate, but I don't feel like going more than one day. It just tastes too good! Compared to the loose leaf teas I have been...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 517 tasting notes
  • “Very sad day... This is my second-to-last bag of this. I shall need to buy more next week when I go grocery shopping. I love it. I have a lot of the Traditional Mate left, but I don't like it as...” Read full tasting note
    teaqueen 244 tasting notes
  • “SIPDOWN! Love this brewed strong with a splash of milk. It's sweet and spicy and a bit mysterious -- just so different from everything else in my stash. But I won't be buying more anytime soon,...” Read full tasting note
    janefan 2277 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging! Made a cup of this at work and it was pretty much amazing. Deep chocolate flavor with a tad bit of spice. It always reminds me of warm chocolate milk. There is always a creamy, milky...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 746 tasting notes

From Guayaki

Mate Chocolatté is a decadent blend of yerba mate, cocoa, and spices. A blissful blend for chocolate lovers.

About Guayaki View company

My first fore into the world of yerba mate, and boy is it great! Earthy, naturally sweet, spicy, and strong! this tea has a rich creaminess from the cocoa even if you don’t add milk. The flavor and aroma linger on your lips and tongue in a fantastic way. It’s kind of like drinking a really delicious chocolate bar! Plus it is organic AND fair trade!

The troubles with the tea bags continue. With very little force I tugged on the tea tag to lift it out of the cup and the string pulled right out of the bag.

8 min or more

I received this from someone quite some time ago, although I don’t remember who it was! I think it was Mel? Anyway… whomever sent it, thanks, and I’m sorry that it took me this long to try it.

This is alright, although I must admit that it is made considerably better by the accompaniment of these incredible butterhorns (and I have a feeling that these would make anything taste better): http://hungryinportland.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/cicis-italian-butterhorns/

It’s a little thin, in my opinion, but it isn’t horrible.

I brewed this one too weak and don’t have any more of it to try, so will try to rate based on how I think it would taste when brewed correctly. It did not seem to have much of the traditional yerba mate flavor – I pretty much just tasted the cocoa and spices. The spices were fairly light, which was nice. Prepared with stevia. Tasted pretty much the same with and without almond milk.

I’m slowly becoming a fan of Mate the more I try it. By itself I cannot get over its strange, almost abrupt herbal flavor, but I do enjoy its energy boost similar to drinks like Red Bull. I saw this flavor at Target and figured I’d give it a try and I’m glad I did. The chocolate spice is not strong, but it does mellow out what bothers me about mate…makes it more palatable. That being said, it’s not a bad choice.

Yum. A little spicy, a little chocolate, a little mate. The perfect blend. A good dessert tea.

I’m still loving this tea! The taste is almost as good as the energy it gives me. I have a Breville so I have to make a minimum of 2 cups. If I resteep I suddenly have 4 cups. OH MY! Today I vacuumed and steam cleaned all the carpets, washed all the tile and wood floors. Amazing how much energy I feel. Not bad for an old lady! I will definitely have to keep lots of this in my cupboard!

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth

Cheri

Wowzers. Wanna come help clean my house?

TeaBrat

lmao, you can come to my house too ;)

__Morgana__

Me first, me first!

carol who LOL You wish! My back is already killing me!
Cheri

Have some more of this Yerba Maté Chocolatté and you’ll never even notice.

carol who

LOL! You could be right! I may never sleep tonight! Maybe I should do more cleaning!

Made a pretty strong brew of this for late breakfast (love snow days) and it was pretty good with a splash of milk. I like how mate gives me a very gentle buzz rather than the up and down roller coaster buzz of coffee. This goes very well with a breakfast of buttered, toasted pound cake.

Flavors: Cocoa, Earth

gmathis

I can’t believe it took me so long to discover all the wonderful toasty, buttery, grilly things you can do with pound cake!

I saw this tea at the local grocery store, and I had to give it a try. It’s organic, and it has the magical word “chocolatte!” I’ve had a few chocolate chais now, and the problem with most is that although they use the word “chocolate,” its flavor is undetectable when brewed. Unfortunately, this is true of Yerba Mate Chocolatte as well. If I felt any chocolate, it was only because my imagination conjured it up. I am sure there is some cocoa in it the blend, but it doesn’t become distinct.

So, what is it? It is a somewhat spicy yerba mate. What is most noticeable is the nutmeg. I like my yerba mate chai richer and would prefer to feel the spices more distinctly. I appreciate the fact that it’s organic. However, I would not repurchase it only because of that. (It’s nicer with milk, especially vanilla milk.)

This was one of my first ventures with mate a few years ago. Lucky for me I enjoy chai and this is a slightly chocolatey version. I steep it for 10-12 minutes in very hot water and top it off with a splash of chocolate almond milk. Good evening drink for me as it often replaces dessert.

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more