Chai Spice Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Misa Arant

• “Thanks so much, CharlotteZero for this one! For some reason I assumed with this being a chai, that the yerba mate would be roasted. I can tell pouring the water and it turning a lovely shade of...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1280 tasting notes
  • “Not sure how I feel about this one. I have yet to find a chai that is "it"...and after drinking this one, I still haven't found it. I need to steep this one for a long time to bring out the...” Read full tasting note
    Tigerliled 5 tasting notes
  • “I greatly enjoy this tea. You do have to let it steep a bit longer than others, but that flavorful chai is worth the wait. It could stand to be a bit spicier for me sometimes, but I do like it...” Read full tasting note
    graciegolightly 1 tasting notes
  • “Too subtle for my taste. For a tea that boasts organic cinnamon, organic licorice, organic ginger, organic nutmeg, organic clove and organic stevia--I find the tea lacking flavor depth and...” Read full tasting note
    minhchau 5 tasting notes

From Guayaki

Spice up your life with this popular blend cherished for its warm spice and sweet finish. Awaken your senses in the morning with Guayakí Chai, or enliven your mind and soul anytime of the day.

About Guayaki View company

Thanks so much, CharlotteZero for this one! For some reason I assumed with this being a chai, that the yerba mate would be roasted. I can tell pouring the water and it turning a lovely shade of sea foam green that it is not roasted. I’m glad I didn’t use boiling water then, or it would have burnt the yerba mate. I taste tested after brewing for five minutes, but I thought it needed some more and brewed another five. I’m also not sure how the spices can be their best if I didn’t use boiling water. It’s a conundrum… use boiled water and you ruin the yerba mate. Use cooled water and the spices aren’t as pronounced. I don’t know. I like this, but I could be wrong… it seemed there was some stevia here. Not the Celestial Seasonings pumpkin ridiculous level of stevia though! A good yerba mate and some nice spices, but I kept noticing that stevia.

160 °F / 71 °C 8 min or more

Not sure how I feel about this one. I have yet to find a chai that is “it”…and after drinking this one, I still haven’t found it.

I need to steep this one for a long time to bring out the flavors. That said, it holds the delightful greenness that I hope for from mate tea. There’s a sweet aftertaste that is almost medicinal—that’s the part that gets me in the wrong way. Still not a bad cup! Warm on a cold day, add a wee bit of milk—what more could you ask for, in the end?

I greatly enjoy this tea. You do have to let it steep a bit longer than others, but that flavorful chai is worth the wait. It could stand to be a bit spicier for me sometimes, but I do like it quite a bit.

160 °F / 71 °C 8 min or more

Too subtle for my taste.

For a tea that boasts organic cinnamon, organic licorice, organic ginger, organic nutmeg, organic clove and organic stevia—I find the tea lacking flavor depth and tasting watery.

Still great as a soothing late night drink to warm your bones in winter.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

This tea was less than mediocre. While it can warm someone up and it light in taste, it hits with a hard sluggish feeling afterwards. It was not spicy, nor did it really have the “chai” flavors. Rather, it tasted like a generic, herbal tea dust that had been forgotten about for a few years in the back of someone’s pantry. Additionally, it left a thick layer or residue along the bottom of my teacup from dusting along the tea bad and that which had escaped it. I was not at all impressed, but I hope to find someone who can enjoy it.

Quite enjoyable. Just what I needed to warm me up before heading off to Mt. Rainier today!