2004 Shen Shan Lao Shu

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by teaddict

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I got a small sample of this puerh with an order from Jing Tea Shop. It came in a tiny bag that kept slipping to the bottom of my puerh box, so it was overlooked, quite literally, for a long time....” Read full tasting note
    teaddict 311 tasting notes

From Haiwan Tea Factory

Origine : Meng Hai Area / Yunnan Province
Tea Factory : Haiwan Tea Factory
Type of puerh tea : Raw/Sheng
Year of production : 2004
Storage Recommendation : This tea can be store for at least 5 years and more.
Zi Sha Recommendation : Xiao Hong Ni, Pin Zi Ni
Net weight : +/- 500gr

A big beeng cha pu erh tea from a now well-established tea factory. The tea is well made with high quality tea leaves harvested from big tea trees. The tea liquor has a delicate flowery aromas with a touch of acidity. There is no bitterness or smokiness at all and the tea liquor has a thick body with a clean and pure profile. The tea taste is not so strong and make of this tea a favorite for young raw pu erh tea drinkers.

About Haiwan Tea Factory View company

1 Tasting Note

I set up a first infusion series this evening without remembering to weigh the small piece of leaves first—d’oh! It was likely between 1 and 2 grams of compressed leaf, set up in a cheap 60mL yixing pot. Water was heated to 205 degrees.

I first flash rinsed, then set up my first infusion and….forgot about it, for several minutes. I did sip that one momentarily, but though it had very promising anise and caramel notes, a strong bitterness on top of that made it undrinkable.

I managed the next half dozen infusions better. I put a splash of cool water into the cup while preparing a flash infusion of the tea, and the little bit of cool water drops the temperature when I add the tea so that I can drink it straight off, without waiting for it to cool. The liquor is anise-caramel-sweet, with a mild earthy undertone, delicious. Gradually I’m increasing the time for each infusion, up to about 45 seconds now, and while I think I’m going to get another half dozen infusions easily, it’s sad to think of how many I missed due to that first mistakenly long infusion—probably a good 6-8 more infusions were lost.

Fortunately, even the small sample should provide 2 or 3 more small sessions like this one.