Eight at the Fort

Apricot, Caramel, Honey, Peppercorn, Plants, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by Kashyap

• “Sample Sipdown! (SRP #14) Special thanks to Scott for the tea, and the fact that he sent enough so that I could try it a few times. I really like this one, and will likely buy some once I get a...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 956 tasting notes
  • “Well that's the end of this sample packet unfortunately. This is another one I'm adding to my get-again list; I'm completely in love with the smoothness and the complexity of this tea. It's rare...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1527 tasting notes
  • “I've had this one before and found it quite pleasant. *QuiltGuppy* included it in my recent package, so I'm reunited and all that. I couldn't remember anything about it though, so I went back and...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1191 tasting notes
  • “Eight at the Fort, you win. I dropped the temperature like it was hot [hahaha, I crack myself up] down to 180 and the difference was exponentially better. There's still some bitterness to it that...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

June 20-27, 1997, marked a special time in world history. President Bill Clinton of the United States and seven other world dignitaries met at The Fort in Denver for a world peace meeting. Harney and sons were quite honored to be asked to create a special blend of tea to be served to the world leaders at their summit. Imagine the busy luminaries pausing just long enough to sip this special blend of eight teas. This is one of the most historic blends they have created.

About Harney & Sons View company

Eight at the Fort by Harney & Sons is a bold, straightforward black tea. Paired with heavier foods, e.g. Chicken Gorgonzola and Pesto Tortellini, the tea’s flavor profile did not get lost in the palate. Instead, the complex yet pleasing blend of Yunnan, Assam, Keemun and others complimented the food well.

My surprise came in preparing Eight at the Fort: the 5-minute steep time was ideal. I also enjoyed this tea with a very rich tiramisu, so I drank it sans cream and/or sugar. It’s a tea that adds sensibility to indulgence.

I woke up with a stomach that was out of sorts, felt nauseated, stood outside for a while and inhaled the (temporarily nice) fresh air, and came to work. Now I’m sitting here nauseated again. How annoying. I think I’m just going to try and hang in there as long as possible, but I really hate stumbling into my boss’ office and letting her know I won’t last the day. I just feel I should generally have better discretion than that, and just not go in as opposed to going in to try your best and just look as though you’re trying to prove a point. ugh I’m overthinking things. What else is new.

Anyway, this tea is just lovely. A touch of astringency in the most refreshing way possible, and I never thought that a straight black tea could taste refreshing. But there’s also a fair dose of malt and sweet, and a hint of apple woodiness from what I’m assuming is the Darjeeling. This tea really does taste quite complex, but is so effortlessly beautiful in your mouth. I got 8 oz of it (what? it didn’t come in smaller amounts!), so am happy to share, but also don’t anticipate having any issue at all finishing it. I like it a lot better than Scottish Morn, because I just found that tea to be astringent and strong but not much else. And I don’t know that I really like very strong but otherwise uninteresting teas. This is a lot more complex, while still having enough strength to be a legitimately awesome morning tea. Absolutely recommend!

MissLena

I hate that feeling of making it to work and then feeling sick and having to leave as well :( I hope you getting feeling better soon!

keychange

I know! It’s just so awkward. Like, if you didn’t feel well, why’d you come in? but I just thought I might feel better as the day progressed, you know? Anyway, thanks. I hope this just goes away.

Charissa

Mmm, that sounds wonderful! Bold AND beautiful!

keychange

This tea is absolutely fantastic!!

Sami Kelsh

This sounds super fancy and delicious! Sorry your day is going a bit rubbish, though. Hope you feel better!

keychange

It is wonderful! and thanks. I’m trying to see if I can’t find some sort of bland lunch option that won’t turn my stomach.

MzPriss

I hope you feel better!

keychange

Thank you! I’m starting to feel hungry, which I’m interpreting as a good sign. :)

TheTeaFairy

Hope your day ended up better than it started :-)

Thanks :D

Hallo Chillie

I enjoyed reading your tealog, but sad you were struggling with being sick. Hope you are feeling better.

keychange

Thank you. I was hit hard by crazy weakness today, so ended up sleeping the entire day. Hopefully that helps some. And I’m so glad you njoyed reading my tea log!

Thank-you to whomever suggested sweetening this with a little maple. <3

I’m more of a Chinese Black Tea drinker but decided to get to know some English Black teas. I tried this tea, along with a couple others, from Harney and Sons. This tea was a bit strong for my taste (or perhaps I wasn’t brewing it correctly). I think I prefer Darjeeling over this tea.

i bought it in a store,without knowing anything about it——-i’m not a huge darjeeling fan,and that taste seems dominant—-i might try at a slightly cooler temp——i like the strong hit —-but making it with boiling water as i did might not be kind to the green components

I tend more toward flavor and quality than “name,” but this delivers on all counts. Eight black teas carefully blended to produce one amazing cup of tea. I also tend toward single source over blends, but this breaks the rule again. Caramel-like sweetness, loaded with aroma, and a subtle kick that pleases. The blender deserves an award, or at least a meal at The Fort.

This tea has a very nice, full and almost sweet aroma. The flavor is not as bold as the aroma, and not as sweet. It has a dry, almost slightly metallic finish. Adding a little cream seemed to drown out the tea flavor but left the dryness. I can tell that it is a good blend, however, leaning a little to the dry side. Those who prefer Keemun will probably enjoy it more than those who prefer, say, Assam, but it’s worth at least trying if you enjoy black tea.

Update 2011/08/31:
I reduced steep time from five to four minutes which made the brew a little less dry. It still needs a little cream and sugar, but otherwise it’s pretty good.

Brewed it too hot this time and it came out bitter.

I absolutely love this tea. It’s strong, but not astringent. It fills the mouth and feels substantial. It’s my go-to tea for all occasions. Enough caffeine for the morning and afternoon. I can drink it all day long. Although I drink it black, it’s strong enough to hold up to milk and/or sugar. And it makes a hella good cup of iced tea in the warmer months too!

Flavors: Apricot, Caramel, Honey, Peppercorn, Plants, Tannin

I love this tea. It’s assertive without being overpowering. For those who like to add milk to their tea, this blend can handle it.