Eight at the Fort

Citrus, Malt, Plums, Apricot, Leather, Orange, Caramel, Honey, Peppercorn, Plants, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by Kashyap

• “Sample Sipdown! (SRP #14) Special thanks to Scott for the tea, and the fact that he sent enough so that I could try it a few times. I really like this one, and will likely buy some once I get a...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “Well that's the end of this sample packet unfortunately. This is another one I'm adding to my get-again list; I'm completely in love with the smoothness and the complexity of this tea. It's rare...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1629 tasting notes
  • “I've had this one before and found it quite pleasant. *QuiltGuppy* included it in my recent package, so I'm reunited and all that. I couldn't remember anything about it though, so I went back and...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1310 tasting notes
  • “Eight at the Fort, you win. I dropped the temperature like it was hot [hahaha, I crack myself up] down to 180 and the difference was exponentially better. There's still some bitterness to it that...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

June 20-27, 1997, marked a special time in world history. President Bill Clinton of the United States and seven other world dignitaries met at The Fort in Denver for a world peace meeting. Harney and sons were quite honored to be asked to create a special blend of tea to be served to the world leaders at their summit. Imagine the busy luminaries pausing just long enough to sip this special blend of eight teas. This is one of the most historic blends they have created.

About Harney & Sons View company

Eight at the Fort by Harney & Sons is a bold, straightforward black tea. Paired with heavier foods, e.g. Chicken Gorgonzola and Pesto Tortellini, the tea’s flavor profile did not get lost in the palate. Instead, the complex yet pleasing blend of Yunnan, Assam, Keemun and others complimented the food well.

My surprise came in preparing Eight at the Fort: the 5-minute steep time was ideal. I also enjoyed this tea with a very rich tiramisu, so I drank it sans cream and/or sugar. It’s a tea that adds sensibility to indulgence.

With an interesting story behind it, and a description that sounded like it could be amazing or terrible (eight different types of tea?), I knew I had to try this one when exploring Harney’s black tea blends. And it did not disappoint. The dry tea definitely looks like a blend of numerous types of leaves. It brews up to a nice golden-amber color, with a bouquet-like fragrance that has a lot of floral in it, and something that reminds me of the one or two times I’ve tried Darjeeling. Those bright floral notes float to the top when I taste it, followed by a honey sweetness with some Ceylon-esque peachy fruit notes, with a little bit of malt sugar on the finish. Yet it’s not malty in the same way as I would describe Chinese black teas—the feel of this one is lighter. It’s very smooth, robust, and complex in a way that isn’t too busy. You could sip it casually without paying attention to the individual components, and it would be equally enjoyable. Even though it’s not a particularly helpful word as comes to tea, I’d even call it elegant. This one is a possible restock as well…

I’m told this is a breakfast tea. They are often too malty for my tastes. This one is not overly malty. There is a very nice, mild malt flavor, not meaning chocolate malt. This is backed up by a very strong sweet flavor that I think I would describe as plums, or perhaps stonefruits, but I think plums is the best description. It also says citrus which is a good description too. Harney and Sons did not have this in the 4oz t tin so I had to buy the half pound. Considering the price, and the taste of this tea I am not at all unhappy having a lot of it. This and one sample was all I bought from Harney and Sons Black Friday sale, but then again their only promotion was free shipping on all orders. It did enable me to buy only one tea from them and avoid shipping charges.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 3 min.

Flavors: Citrus, Malt, Plums

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

So, I don’t know why I was so eager to try this one…but I was, and I figured since H&S had a free shipping deal the other week, I’d get a few samples.
When I opened the package it smelled strongly of citrus, which, as some of you know, I am NOT a fan of AT ALL. Like….I detest oranges, and things orange flavored.
I almost decided not to try it at all.
But, since I did pay 2 bucks for it, I figured I’d give it a shot.
While steeping, the orange smell went away, and was replaced by a strong leather smell. And when I finally tried it, all it tasted like was leather.
And then it got weirder. The aftertaste just tastes like apricots.
But the tea itself wasn’t even slightly fruity!!
I don’t understand. I really do not get this tea…
But I really hate when teas taste like leather.
Clearly the orange smell was a warning-haha!
Anyway, glad I know. Just…was definitely not worth those 2 bucks. :P

Flavors: Apricot, Citrus, Leather, Orange

Suziqzer

I wish Harney would offer something between a sample size and 4 oz. I find it hard to justify $2 for a sample when 4 ozs of most blends are around $7

Ost

Yeah, I’ve noticed on some teas they offer sizes in the middle of sample and a lot of tea. xD But it’s never the teas I want haha!

Suziqzer

Of course :)

Earlier this summer I got in a straight black tea blend mood. I ended up purchasing a few blended blacks for H & S with my order. I then attempted to drink all blends for H & S next to each other and try to compare. I am not sure if it was the day, or the way I was making tea, or the tea itself but all of the blends tasted so similar I couldn’t pick out anything to distinguish them. Usually when doing side by side comparisons you can definitely tell. On that day I tasted :

Irish Breakfast
Supreme Breakfast
Elain’s Blend
30th Anniversary
Queen Catherine.
Eight at the Fort

The only teas I remember being able to somewhat pick out were the 30th Anniversary and Queen Catherine.

I am sitting down with this tea now. No comparison. I am enjoying it, but there is nothing jumping out at me. It almost taste like there could be an oolong blended in here? It is more smooth and not harsh like some breakfast blends. It has sweet rounded edges and not the astringent finish. I am glad I was able to try this one, but this not a tea I need to have a tin of.

This blend of 8 teas makes a very smooth and pleasing cup. As always, I sweetened with some stevia. Glad I ordered this sample (along with several others that I look forward to trying).

4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

mmmmm another from keychange that i’m enjoying this morning. I love my mornings where i get to actually drink tea out of a mug. I’m working from home a bit this morning and then it’s in to work for literally one meeting, before we leave for the weekend. It’s super annoying, but needs to be done because i’m too committed to my customers, even if everyone else seems intent on making their lives miserable. ugh.

loving this one! I may actually need to add this to my cupboard in the future. thanks keychange!

This tea is a tribute to Mr Harney.
It’s a sample I got with my recent order ( I blame ifjuly for having super taste buds and suggesting me to try)
This cup is a masterpiece combining 8 different teas. It’s bold and balanced. Thick malty some astringency creeping but it’s welcoming. Smells intoxicating of honey, dried fruits and some florals from Darjeeling. Excellent breakfast tea.
Thank you Mr Harney for sourcing and blending such wonderful teas.
205F 1tsp 8 oz 3.5 min

sherapop

Sounds so good! They have so many wonderful teas to explore!

I woke up with a stomach that was out of sorts, felt nauseated, stood outside for a while and inhaled the (temporarily nice) fresh air, and came to work. Now I’m sitting here nauseated again. How annoying. I think I’m just going to try and hang in there as long as possible, but I really hate stumbling into my boss’ office and letting her know I won’t last the day. I just feel I should generally have better discretion than that, and just not go in as opposed to going in to try your best and just look as though you’re trying to prove a point. ugh I’m overthinking things. What else is new.

Anyway, this tea is just lovely. A touch of astringency in the most refreshing way possible, and I never thought that a straight black tea could taste refreshing. But there’s also a fair dose of malt and sweet, and a hint of apple woodiness from what I’m assuming is the Darjeeling. This tea really does taste quite complex, but is so effortlessly beautiful in your mouth. I got 8 oz of it (what? it didn’t come in smaller amounts!), so am happy to share, but also don’t anticipate having any issue at all finishing it. I like it a lot better than Scottish Morn, because I just found that tea to be astringent and strong but not much else. And I don’t know that I really like very strong but otherwise uninteresting teas. This is a lot more complex, while still having enough strength to be a legitimately awesome morning tea. Absolutely recommend!

MissLena

I hate that feeling of making it to work and then feeling sick and having to leave as well :( I hope you getting feeling better soon!

keychange

I know! It’s just so awkward. Like, if you didn’t feel well, why’d you come in? but I just thought I might feel better as the day progressed, you know? Anyway, thanks. I hope this just goes away.

Charissa

Mmm, that sounds wonderful! Bold AND beautiful!

keychange

This tea is absolutely fantastic!!

Sami Kelsh

This sounds super fancy and delicious! Sorry your day is going a bit rubbish, though. Hope you feel better!

keychange

It is wonderful! and thanks. I’m trying to see if I can’t find some sort of bland lunch option that won’t turn my stomach.

MzPriss

I hope you feel better!

keychange

Thank you! I’m starting to feel hungry, which I’m interpreting as a good sign. :)

TheTeaFairy

Hope your day ended up better than it started :-)

Thanks :D

Hallo Chillie

I enjoyed reading your tealog, but sad you were struggling with being sick. Hope you are feeling better.

keychange

Thank you. I was hit hard by crazy weakness today, so ended up sleeping the entire day. Hopefully that helps some. And I’m so glad you njoyed reading my tea log!

Thank-you to whomever suggested sweetening this with a little maple. <3