Mother's Bouquet

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “My low caffeine quest continues, and the eye twitch is getting better. I think I may need to detox a bit more and even go without scotch for awhile though (eep). My liver probably needs the...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “Neck and shoulders in Gordian knots after a stressful day yesterday. This was a lovely "unwind." Chamomile doesn't have exactly what I'd call a strong flavor, but it's definitely insistent and is...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1737 tasting notes
  • “This has been in my cupboard for quite a while and thought it was time to try it. I think it is the first herbal tea I've had, so I don't have much to compare it to. I bought it because it had...” Read full tasting note
    EmiCreech 205 tasting notes
  • “This is a beautiful tea to look at! I have the sachets but I can still see those lovely petals through the nylon. I am not much of a herbal tea drinker, but this one is very drinkable for me and...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1848 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A blend created in honor of all Mothers. A great gift for Mother’s Day or any time you think of Mom. Or perhaps you are hosting a Mother’s Day Tea? This is the perfect choice. A beautiful blend of chamomile flowers, rosebuds, cornflowers and orange peel, infused with citrus flavor, which creates a surprisingly refreshing caffeine-free cup.

About Harney & Sons View company

My low caffeine quest continues, and the eye twitch is getting better. I think I may need to detox a bit more and even go without scotch for awhile though (eep). My liver probably needs the TLC.

This is really nice, and has made me quite drowsy. Good amount of chamomile flavor with just a touch of lemon and orange. It smells and looks wonderful. This may end up in my regular bedtime tea rotation.

Also I just left the bag in there the whole time. No harm done!

Boiling 8 min or more

Neck and shoulders in Gordian knots after a stressful day yesterday. This was a lovely “unwind.”

Chamomile doesn’t have exactly what I’d call a strong flavor, but it’s definitely insistent and is hard to mask. The orange in this combination holds its own against the floral and wasn’t uncomfortably tart.

And while we’re thinking about the calm and soothing little ritual of an evening cuppa, here’s a really good read I found recommended elsewhere by Alexander McCall Smith (a favorite author of mine): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2097484/Alexander-McCall-Smith-tackles-decline-teapot-symbol-Englishness.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Angrboda

I’ve been enjoying Alexander McCall Smith recently too. I’m totally new to him, but I’ve been listening to the books about Professor Von Igelfeld on audiobook (the first three unfortunately only available abridged) and plan to try some of his other books as well when I’m finished with the last one.

Uniquity

A few years ago he released a novel chapter by chapter (Corduroy Mansions?) in a newspaper, which was wonderful. They were done in audio by Andrew Sachs which I adored.

gmathis

I’ve spent most of my time with No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, but have fallen behind and not read the last two since the Unfortunate Incident. Looking forward to catching up … someday.

Angrboda

I’ve been leaning mostly towards No. 1 Ladie’s Detective Agency as well, but I have also been warmly recommended the series that takes place in Scotland. Can’t remember the specifics…

gmathis
  1. Scotland Street, et. al. Liked the first one; that’s all I"ve read.
Uniquity

Is that the one with bertie? i enjoyed that one greatly, but never did the No 1 Ladies, actually. It’s such a long series that getting each of the books from the library seemed intimidating.

gmathis

Yes, #44 introduces Bertie. The No. 1 series are all very easy and fun reads. With tea figuring prominently.

This has been in my cupboard for quite a while and thought it was time to try it. I think it is the first herbal tea I’ve had, so I don’t have much to compare it to. I bought it because it had promises of floral notes. The only notes I’m tasting are citrus and chamomile. It’s a mild flavor and kind of bores me. I think I’ll pass this on to my friend Kim :)

This is a beautiful tea to look at! I have the sachets but I can still see those lovely petals through the nylon. I am not much of a herbal tea drinker, but this one is very drinkable for me and needs no additions to taste good. My guests added sugar to theirs, and one even added milk, too, and they seemed to like it! The chamomile and citrus flavors take the forefront and the floral notes are subdued and nice.

Boiling

I’m not typically drawn towards chamomile teas, although I distinctly remember liking the few I had as a child. But given that I’m sick, an herbal tea seemed appropriate for the night. I ordered a sample of this with my last h & s order, although I can’t remember what exactly brought it to my attention.

Anyway, I read that this tea is fairly mild, so I gave it a six minute steep and took it without any additions. It’s odd, because I don’t really get a strong chamomile flavour; rather, I get a mostly non-descript citrus flavour that holds its own against what seems to be a base of something slightly more than hot water. I expected the chamomile to be stronger, but am actually ok with the balance of flavours in this blend. I am also pleased that hte citrus in this blend is not at all tart or bitter, so it doesn’t irritate my throat or make me cringe. I have enough left for another cup, and it does seem like a good sick tea, so it shouldn’t be terribly difficult to finish off. That said, I don’t think I’ll be ordering it.

I hope you feel better

Stephanie

booo sick

TheTeaFairy

Feel better soon…

I think I might need to buy more of this one…adore it as a floral. I’ll know more after a few steepings

Tried some of this yesterday, when I’d decided I’d had enough caffeine for one night. It’s really /pretty/ — both the colorful mix of the dried flowers, and the pale pink rose petals once the tea has steeped. It smells way more citrusy than I had expected, but in a nice way. The tea itself was… a little disappointing. I steeped it for what feels like forever, but it was still a little too weak for my taste. Next time I’ll try using more, but I’m wary of overly strong chamomile, as it’s not my favorite thing.

I would probably have kept some of this around to add to plain black teas that were a little lacking on their own — this would add some pretty flower petals to the dry tea and a floral profile that might make up for the tea’s shortcomings — but unfortunately, it only comes in samples, sachets, and one pound bags… and I’m not quite /that/ fond of it.