Scent of Mountains Sencha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

• “This is a free sample provided by *Russel Allyn* and *Harney and Sons.* Many thanks! The dry leaves had a lovely spinach aroma! I love the name - I did a survey once about "worship styles" and...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “This is a new favorite in the tea room. It is an excellent sencha for a very reasonable price. It's light a sweet and the leaves will rebrew six or more times (we gave up before the tea did). ...” Read full tasting note
    harneytea 157 tasting notes
  • “Light green in color with a steamed vegetal aroma. Brothy vegetal taste with spinach and sweet pea flavors. This is a delightful green tea.” Read full tasting note
    A-House 76 tasting notes
  • “My first steep of this tea is a little bitter; I think I should have steeped for about 2 minutes, not the 3 minutes suggested on the tin. Aside from the bitterness, there's a deep, brothy flavor....” Read full tasting note
    BeerPowered 1 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

High above Kakegawa, where our Ichiban Sencha comes from, is the village of Kawane. It is one of the highest tea growing spots in Japan. Up there, it cooler and foggier, so the tea grows slowly and has a lovely vegetal aroma. This tea has been steamed for the traditional time (just 30 seconds), so the tea leaves are larger than the Ichiban, which is deep-steamed.

About Harney & Sons View company

This is a free sample provided by Russel Allyn and Harney and Sons. Many thanks!

The dry leaves had a lovely spinach aroma! I love the name – I did a survey once about “worship styles” and my results said that I feel closest to God out of doors. That is absolutely right, though throw in some mosquitos and our summer humidity and I will get close to God right by the a/c vent thank-you-very-much. The aroma of the dry leaves reminded me of the aroma of Weishan Mao Feng that I tasted a few days ago, but the liquor is nothing like!

The tea steeped to a lovely greenish yellow. I poured some into my small white cup and there were tiny specks of dark green, which I find absolutely beautiful. My husband freaks out if there are “bits” in his tea, but with good tea, I consider it to be decoration, like spices sprinkled on food. It makes it look so wholesome, so real, so unprocessed and natural.

The taste of the tea is vegetal, grassy, and very brothy. There is a bit of butteriness as well, but perhaps that is the texture of the tea rather than the taste. This is a wee bit brisk, not unpleasantly. H&S gives it a 2 on their briskness scale, so very low.

After the sip, for several minutes a sweet taste arises – the sweet plum flavor but here mixed with a hint of the spinach flavor as well.

The second steep is as dark, and the flavor almost unchanged.

I am glad I made a lot of this. I have combined the first two steeps in my tetsubin over the warmer so I can drink it all day, and I hope to give these leaves a good run and see how many good steeps they have in them!

Thank you, Russell and Harney and Sons!

gmathis

Said survey … online somewhere?

ashmanra

It was given out in a women’s group and had been in a book one of them owned. There are several of those things I would love to find again. Maybe google?

ashmanra

I googled. Here you go! I think this is the same one.

My next stop :)

gmathis

Oh, that’s funny—-I signed off and signed back in to mention the very same one: http://common.northpoint.org/sacredpathway.html I’m chiefly intellectual…go figure :)

Barb

Naturalist here.

ashmanra

Well, Barb, let’s head for the woods, sit by the creek, and we will let gmathis pull up a rock and do the teaching! :)

Barb

I’m for that! Make it a pine forest and a mountain creek and tell the bears, black flies, and mosquitoes to keep a respectful distance and I’m there.

ashmanra

How about the beach? With a nice sea breeze, the skeeters won’t come around and they don’t have bears! :) I guess we are conditional naturalists! LOL!

This is a new favorite in the tea room. It is an excellent sencha for a very reasonable price. It’s light a sweet and the leaves will rebrew six or more times (we gave up before the tea did). We’re so happy for the new addition to our Japanese tea selection.

160 °F / 71 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

My first steep of this tea is a little bitter; I think I should have steeped for about 2 minutes, not the 3 minutes suggested on the tin. Aside from the bitterness, there’s a deep, brothy flavor. There’s a warm, buttery aftertaste with some sweet, grassy notes. I’ll drink this a few more times, do some second and third steeps, then come back and edit this note.