Earl Grey Supreme

Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I guess my latest mini-obsession is Earl Grey :) Let's see, I had a very long Chinese obsession, followed by mini obsessions of Assam, then Chai, now Earl :) I threw a sample of this in my cart...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “You know you have become a true tea drinker when......... ...you are sitting on the porch in 80 degree weather drinking hot Earl Grey Supreme. And you are usually hot in this kind of weather. ...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “I'm finishing up the last of this delicious Earl Grey today - but I think I should have saved it to drink while watching Star Trek! Either way, this tea is great as a tea latte with the citrusy...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “A sample of this arrived with my recent Harney order. I thought I'd give it a go this morning. I'm not a huge Earl Grey fan...I like it, but it's a case of I like what I like and don't often branch...” Read full tasting note
    ThePurrfectCup 374 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

To the connoisseur we offer Earl Grey Supreme, which uses a higher grade of teas along with the addition of Silver Tips. Most of our customers have never gone back to our regular Earl Grey once they have tasted the Supreme. If you love Bergamot and fine tea, this is the blend for you.

Kosher.

About Harney & Sons View company

I had the bagged version of this tea which I know full-well isn’t the same as drinking it loose-leaf, but all the same I think I got a good idea of what this tea is about.

Right away I can smell the pungent, citrusy scent of bergamot and it’s quite prominent in the flavour – crisp, but not too bitter. I tried drinking the tea plain at first but I found that the astringency of the tea base along with the bergamot wasn’t the best combination. So I added some skim milk and found that I enjoyed it more that way. It brought out a little hint of sweetness in the blend which I liked and smoothed out the bergamot.

It’s a decent earl grey. but nothing overly special in my opinion. I’m not about to swear off all other earl greys just because I’ve tried this one. :D

Absolutely elegant & relaxing.
I love you, Earl…
My reliable Valentine ♡

Courtesy of Au Bon Pain this evening.

CelebriTEA

Au Bon Pain’s Harvest cookie is absolutely delish
with my Earl Grey Tea

CelebriTEA

Rolled Oats, Brown Sugar, Butter, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sweetened Dried Cranberries (Cranberries, Sugar, Sunflower Oil), Raisins, Eggs, Pumpkin Seeds, Almonds, Molasses, Contains less than 2% of:  Vanilla Extract, Salt, Baking Soda….YIKES!!! Too bad the ONE scrumptious cookie had 370 calories….My blood sugar may be jigh tonight :-(

Got this one as a free sample with the order that arrived today. It was in sachet form.

Nice and medium in body and bergamot, tending to slide toward the lighter side of Earl. It’s good but there are other EGs that I prefer. Not sure though. Maybe having it loose where I can increase the leaf amount as I want would help since I err on the side of more leaf usually.

I think I’m done getting teas for awhile. My Butiki order arrived today as well. Yet… my aunt emailed today and said she had a BOGO coupon for Harney’s Royal Palace tins at Barnes & Noble… I suspect there is more tea to come my way. But if it’s a gift it doesn’t count, right?

boychik

I like it but I have it in loose form. I think I like Diamond Jubilee even more . Grapefruit notes make it more interesting

boychik

Gift doesn’t count. That’s why I give to myself;)

Nicole

Diamond Jubilee I like a whole lot. And I like the way you think. :)

I honestly don’t know what happened, but my experience with this tea does not read like any of the other reviews on here. It was actually a bit of a nightmare to try to dial in a cup that was neither watery nor bitter, and I finally threw in the towel. During this whole project, I have never been this frustrated with an Earl Grey.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Here’s the link to my blog entry about it:

JacquelineM

I like 200 degree water, a “perfect teaspoon” of this tea for 8 oz of water, and 4 minutes.

wheezybee

Wow! Thank you, that made all the difference!

Thank you Jason, for sending this along to try. First of all, this is a TEA BAG and not loose leaf. That might matter. I didn’t see any listing for a tea bag version of this on Steepster. I only steeped this for four minutes instead of the recommended five minutes and it definitely wasn’t boiling water. Sheesh is this bitter and astringent. The smell of the bergamot is good though. It just reminds me of that terrible Earl Grey teabag I had a while back that almost scared me away from all Earl Grey. I like cremey Earl Grey better anyway.

One of my faves. I visited Harney in NYC for my birthday last year and brought home 7 oz. of this one, and it’s my second earl grey next to Carytown’s Russian Earl Grey, which is maybe the best tea ever so. It’s just always good, simple, nice with milk and sugar or alone.

My cup of the morning. This arrived with my latest order, and while I dont actively seek out Earl Greys, I wont say no if I get it for free!
Harney, to me, is a very quiet and dignified company, and their blends are quiet and dignified as well.
This is a very good Earl. Smooth, and fragrant. My boyfriend thought it smelled floral, which I can sorta see.
I don’t think I’ll get a tin of this, but it’s nice to have every once in a while.

I received a sample of this with my most recent order in bag (sorry, “silken sachet”) form. Out of the package, it was very fragrant of bergamot but it also had a strong, clean classic tea fragrance with a subtle underlying sweetness.

After brewing, I had an orange-gold liquid and the bergamot fragrance had subsided substantially. The taste was a sour-citrus, not the same as other Earl Grays I’ve had, this was distinctly more sour. The tea flavor was extremely weak. This also lacked the classic “snap,” almost effervescence, that I’ve come to expect from good Earl Grays.

As a few others have noted, my poor experience may be because this was in a “sachet” but I didn’t think this was very good in the broad spectrum Earl Gray teas.

backlog- At a bridal shower yesterday, bagged tea.

A nice, fragrant, tannic base. No oily bergamot residue and the bergamot flavor was not as strong as I have experienced in some other earl greys.

I need to experience many more Earl Grey variants before I can discuss this tea intelligently, but as of now, I am a big fan. The base tea is of definite quality, and the dry tea leaves smell sublime. The only qualm I have with it is that I would like a tad bit more bergamont oomph in the brewed tea. Don’t get me wrong, the bergamont is definitely there and tasteable, but I’m a sucker for that orange smell and taste.