Earl Grey Supreme

Citrus, Creamy, Floral, Smooth
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I guess my latest mini-obsession is Earl Grey :) Let's see, I had a very long Chinese obsession, followed by mini obsessions of Assam, then Chai, now Earl :) I threw a sample of this in my cart...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “You know you have become a true tea drinker when......... ...you are sitting on the porch in 80 degree weather drinking hot Earl Grey Supreme. And you are usually hot in this kind of weather. ...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “I'm finishing up the last of this delicious Earl Grey today - but I think I should have saved it to drink while watching Star Trek! Either way, this tea is great as a tea latte with the citrusy...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “A sample of this arrived with my recent Harney order. I thought I'd give it a go this morning. I'm not a huge Earl Grey fan...I like it, but it's a case of I like what I like and don't often branch...” Read full tasting note
    ThePurrfectCup 374 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

To the connoisseur we offer Earl Grey Supreme, which uses a higher grade of teas along with the addition of Silver Tips. Most of our customers have never gone back to our regular Earl Grey once they have tasted the Supreme. If you love Bergamot and fine tea, this is the blend for you.

Kosher.

About Harney & Sons View company

Bought a tin of this in loose leaf. I think that’s important to mention, as all the lower ratings on this tea were for the sachet or bagged version.
This Earl Grey Supreme is everything I thought it’d be. There’s nothing new I can add to the body of comments about this lovely drink, only that I am merely another tea lover who is really very glad that she has this in her cupboard.

Not sure where I picked up this tea bag, but it sure comes in handy when traveling. Unfortunately it is far from delicious. It is like it is all high notes with the bergamot and no base to round it out. A little flat too. Well I’ll be skipping this one for an EG addition to my cupboard!

Brooklynsheep

Dustin, I feel your pain. So many tea producers use substandard tea for an Earl Grey, expecting the bergamot to be the main event and overshadow everything else. I’m surprised you caught Harney doing this, though. Are you sure the teabag was from a box purchased within the past year?

Dustin

I’m thinking I snagged this bag from a Vegas casino last June and it has been in the paper pouch in a drawer since then. I would imagine that the casino would go through tea at a reasonably fast pace. Even if the tea was a little stale, I have had some fairly exceptional EGs before that would way outshine this one, even if it did taste better.

I was looking to make a quick cup of tea this afternoon, so I grabbed my tin that’s chocked full of random tea bags and quickly decided upon this one.

Since this is called Earl Grey Supreme I was expecting to get hit in the face with a lot of bergamot. I wouldn’t consider this a bad thing. I like bergamot and the citrus in pretty much any Earl Grey. I was pleasantly surprised however when it wasn’t an extra dose of flavoring that made this tea supreme but rather very nice ingredients that were expertly balanced. The base tea was smooth and more robust than I expected. All of the citrus flavors were evenly balanced and melded together beautifully. It was such a good cup.

If this is what Harney and Sons can do with the bagged version of this tea then I can’t wait to get my hands on the loose leaf version. My next H&S order is going to be huge!

Aroma: Rich bergamont
Liquor Color: Deep burgundy
Liquor Flavor: Smooth, perfect balance of bergamont, crisp, great base
Notes: The base and the bergamont mix together very well. Wonderful sample, I really enjoyed it. Making it in a latte, even better! Love it both cold and hot. Yummy!

Perhaps I am not much of a seasoned earl greyer but I do not find anything supreme about this tea.

I mean, it’s good. It’s a very decent EG. I am quite content sipping it right now. The base is somewhat strong and astringent, and that is fine with me. The bergamot flavor is not too pushy, it blends well with the rest, doesn’t bully the base tea notes and instead plays along nicely with them. Good clean bergamot fun.

But I guess I expected something extraordinary and stupendous, something SUPREME. All it might mean, though, is that it is just a notch (or two) better than Harney & Son’s standard EG, which I have never had, so I can’t know the difference.

It’s okay. I wouldn’t invest in a tin of it, though.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

What? How have I not logged this one yet?!?

So this is actually a sipdown. It’s quite a decent Earl Grey, objectively speaking. It’s very bergamot-citrusy in a convincing way, rather than a “bergamot flavoring” kind of way. Bright and perky… and a little soft-spoken. It’s not quite as brisk or as bold as I like my “British” teas to be. It reminds me of the sunlight streaming through your window on a pretty spring morning, and I always want one like washing your face with cold water on a foggy spring morning.

… I keep saying that I can tell the Teavana EG isn’t the best, but I think it’s the one I’m always expecting!

Definitely a “very good,” maybe not “supreme” (at least by my standards, which may or may not be in line with those of more dedicated EG connoisseurs.) Still a nice wake-up tea, and definitely worth a try if you are a fan of Earl Greys.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Dry: I was surprised to see I hadn’t already reviewed this because I had it before at a restaurant and that was the reason I wanted to order it for the house. Anyhow, it is made up of short black and brown leaves (black and oolong teas). It has white tea in the ingredients also, but there are only a few silver needles in the 1.5 tsp I used along with a few twigs. It smells very fresh and lemony and obviously has a good bit of bergamot in the mix.

Steeped: Clear light brown liquor. I expected this to be darker, but I guess the oolong and white tea kept it from darkening up too much. The steeped aroma is lovely if you like citrusy scents. The bergamot and the tea come out really nicely with heat.

Taste: I am picky about Earl Grey types, but this one is pleasant and aromatic. Rich and flavorful, it is naturally sweet and light to medium-bodied with a rich lemony background. I added a dash of whole milk, which gives it a creamy dimension as well. This is a very decent breakfast cup to start the day.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Brace yourselves. I’m trying a new Earl Grey outside of my comfort zone.

This cup in the morning hasn’t been too shabby. Harney seem to have used more tea than bergamot, which doesn’t bother me in the slightest. As long as my Earl Grey has that citrusy wang, tout va bien.

Very pleasant and light

Lemony and a nice touch of bergamot. Not overpowering on the flavoring can still taste some of the tea. If you feel like drinking an Earl Grey tea, you can’t go wrong with this tea.

One of the best earl greys I have ever tried. This is now one of my tea staples.