Japanese Sencha (filter bag)

Green Tea
Green Tea
Wood
Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Another save by Harney & Sons Japanese Sencha, as I needed a good tea--and fast--before departing again for more work on my new and humbler abode. I'm working both fronts here: trying to get out of...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 527 tasting notes
  • “A tea bag sample kindly sent in a Harney order. I was not crazy about the other sample but this one, which did not seem too promising ( I usually like Chinese tea better than Japanese) is...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 325 tasting notes
  • “I feel terrible for not being certain of who sent me this, but I'm pretty sure it's *ToiToi*, so thank you *ToiToi*! This is a nice bagged sencha. It was very drinkable. Nothing stood out as...” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 361 tasting notes
  • “One of my favorite coffee shops in the area keeps this tea on hand. It's quite tasty for a bagged tea. I think Harney & Sons have some of the best bagged teas I have tasted. A light aroma, pale...” Read full tasting note
    thedjbooth 345 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Our Sencha is a very fine one, which can be found in many homes in Tokyo. It is a very approachable green tea. This is a fine choice for an everyday tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

Another save by Harney & Sons Japanese Sencha, as I needed a good tea—and fast—before departing again for more work on my new and humbler abode. I’m working both fronts here: trying to get out of this place, while trying to prepare the other place. This will sound perhaps bitchy, but I cannot abide moving my worldly possessions into a space which is covered with other people’s dirt. So I had to go do a major mopping, the serious, nitty-gritty kind, involving towels and buckets of soapy water and clean water for rinse. Why? Because it seemed pretty clear that the floor in my future bedroom had not felt the drip of water in years. It looks better now, after my furious hands-and-knees cleaning of the place, but I may have to do it again around the corners and crevices.

Sounds like I’m a clean freak, right? Actually, I’m quite the opposite. My issue is other people’s dirt. I have no problem with my own.

Well, thanks to my two glasses of Harney & Sons Japanese Sencha, I had the vim and verve to do what needed to be done!

I do have one relevant observation, for people who read tasting notes to learn about tea, not about the authors: by whom and why and where is “wood” listed as a tasting note for this tea? I scoured the other reviews and could not identify who the culprit slinging the wood epithet was. So why is that listed prominently as a tasting note on this tea’s profile? It almost seems like a competitor corporate hacker sabotage. Not to be paranoid, but how else to explain a tasting note which is not claimed by any of the reviewers?? I ask most sincerely.

Do I recommend this tea? Hell, yes. Does it taste like wood? Hell, no.

180 °F / 82 °C 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

A tea bag sample kindly sent in a Harney order. I was not crazy about the other sample but this one, which did not seem too promising ( I usually like Chinese tea better than Japanese) is delicious, maybe my favorite of the lot, even better than what I had aqctually ordered (apart maybe from Queen Catherine). A nice simple sencha in a convenient tea bag format. Very nice. Staple-ish tea potential and to buy if/when I order from them again (transatlantic shipping costs being responsible for there being an IF).

A small note – I brewed this with about twice as much water as recommended (hmm, about .7l, enough for two mugs worth) and it was perfectly to my taste just like that – I did use mineral water though! Brewed a second steep and it held up to that as well. If you are making this, or using the loose leaf, might be worth experimenting with being less generous with tea quantity than advised, might work for you as well.

Angrboda

What sort of shipping did you end up paying for this?

cteresa

Just checked and I paid 13.17 for two tins (one with 125 grams, another with 20 or 30 sachets), a few samples (and it came in a cardboard box, so i guess a few samples or a few grams more of tea will not alter it much). The site estimate for the shipping was higher, around 18 dollars, but they corrected it before sending. My country was not on the list of countries, they told me to just pick closest one and put it on comment field while ordering. It was pretty fast as well, from order to it getting to my hands it was maybe 10 days?

cteresa

Just to ass 13.17 USD, not euros! It sounds more reasonable as it should in euros. And if you are not a tin fetichist like I am, they sell loose tea in ziplocs bags which I am sure will lower shipping. Their 2USD samples are a nice size as well.

But still, much as I loved this sencha the shipping costs are an issue. But I will probably order again from them one of these days just because of it, let me be good and use some of my stash before!

BTW If you want to try Queen Catherine, Vanilla Comoro decaf or Paris, I can send you a sample by mail, no problem!

I feel terrible for not being certain of who sent me this, but I’m pretty sure it’s ToiToi, so thank you ToiToi!

This is a nice bagged sencha. It was very drinkable. Nothing stood out as particularly bad or good, but all in all I enjoyed this very much.

One of my favorite coffee shops in the area keeps this tea on hand. It’s quite tasty for a bagged tea. I think Harney & Sons have some of the best bagged teas I have tasted. A light aroma, pale liquor, a nice light grassy flavor. For an inexpensive high quality bagged sencha I would say this is a good option.

Cofftea

I haven’t read too many of your reviews, but you must be pretty hard on the teas you review (not a bad thing). “quite tasty”, “some of the best baged teas”, and “high quality” don’t seem worthy of a 57.

The DJBooth

ahhh you know you are right about that I must fix that :)

The DJBooth

and I’m still getting used to the rating system still being a newbie

I experienced this tea at a corperate function today, and I was definitely glad of it! They had a small selection of teas from H&S, but I thought this Sencha would be the most refreshing. It’s the first time I’ve sampled a Sencha, and I was looking forward to trying it.

The tea in the bag looked quite dull to start with, but it smelt good. It was quite grassy as someone else has mentioned. When brewing a hint of nut was also released in the background. The taste was similar, although the nuttiness at the back came out more to balance the grass. The wet leaves were a fantastic emerald green colour. I did feel the bag hindered the flavour a bit though, whether it was the general tea in a bag production or the steeping.

I was impressed with this first try of Sencha. I have some loose leaf to sample soon, and I expect a more natural flavour. I’m excited to try multiple uses to see how the flavour changes.

One other thing about my experience, there was lots of bits on the outside of the tea bag before I put it in the mug!

Light and enjoyable green tea. A new favorite?

Yet another free sample with my order. I can’t remember if I’ve ever had Sencha before. It’s delightful. Grassy tasting, but in a fresh way (not a “just mowed the lawn and now I’m dying of allergies” way). I accidentally oversteeped this (okay, not completely accidentally – after 3 minutes the water was barely colored so I left it in) but I like my tea strong and I’m okay with some slight bitterness.

I like bancha better, but this is still a good solid green tea.

8 min or more