Japanese Sencha (filter bag)

Green Tea
Green Tea
Wood
Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “John Harney Appreciation Tea #5 It's been a while since I brewed up a filter bag of Japanese Sencha, but today I did after lunch, and it was like meeting up with an old friend. For years, Stash...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 1096 tasting notes
  • “A tea bag sample kindly sent in a Harney order. I was not crazy about the other sample but this one, which did not seem too promising ( I usually like Chinese tea better than Japanese) is...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 331 tasting notes
  • “I feel terrible for not being certain of who sent me this, but I'm pretty sure it's *ToiToi*, so thank you *ToiToi*! This is a nice bagged sencha. It was very drinkable. Nothing stood out as...” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 372 tasting notes
  • “One of my favorite coffee shops in the area keeps this tea on hand. It's quite tasty for a bagged tea. I think Harney & Sons have some of the best bagged teas I have tasted. A light aroma, pale...” Read full tasting note
    thedjbooth 354 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Our Sencha is a very fine one, which can be found in many homes in Tokyo. It is a very approachable green tea. This is a fine choice for an everyday tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

John Harney Appreciation Tea #5

It’s been a while since I brewed up a filter bag of Japanese Sencha, but today I did after lunch, and it was like meeting up with an old friend. For years, Stash Premium Green was my go-to filter bag green tea, but now I find that this Harney & Sons bag is just as dependable and easy to prepare—and it tastes even better!

The contents of the filter bag expand something like four-fold, and the liquor is cloudy greenish-yellow, so it’s clear that H&S did some serious research in figuring out how to offer a high-quality sencha in the filter bag format. This stuff is super tasty and warrants the epithet on the envelope, “Nourishing Tea”, because drinking it feels like eating food!

Cameron B.

You make sencha sound so yummy… I may have to start buying straight teas soon… :D

sherapop

Cameron B: You don’t know what you’re missing! ;-)

Amaryllis

I have very strained relationship with green tea but your reviews make want to give it another try! :)

A tea bag sample kindly sent in a Harney order. I was not crazy about the other sample but this one, which did not seem too promising ( I usually like Chinese tea better than Japanese) is delicious, maybe my favorite of the lot, even better than what I had aqctually ordered (apart maybe from Queen Catherine). A nice simple sencha in a convenient tea bag format. Very nice. Staple-ish tea potential and to buy if/when I order from them again (transatlantic shipping costs being responsible for there being an IF).

A small note – I brewed this with about twice as much water as recommended (hmm, about .7l, enough for two mugs worth) and it was perfectly to my taste just like that – I did use mineral water though! Brewed a second steep and it held up to that as well. If you are making this, or using the loose leaf, might be worth experimenting with being less generous with tea quantity than advised, might work for you as well.

Angrboda

What sort of shipping did you end up paying for this?

cteresa

Just checked and I paid 13.17 for two tins (one with 125 grams, another with 20 or 30 sachets), a few samples (and it came in a cardboard box, so i guess a few samples or a few grams more of tea will not alter it much). The site estimate for the shipping was higher, around 18 dollars, but they corrected it before sending. My country was not on the list of countries, they told me to just pick closest one and put it on comment field while ordering. It was pretty fast as well, from order to it getting to my hands it was maybe 10 days?

cteresa

Just to ass 13.17 USD, not euros! It sounds more reasonable as it should in euros. And if you are not a tin fetichist like I am, they sell loose tea in ziplocs bags which I am sure will lower shipping. Their 2USD samples are a nice size as well.

But still, much as I loved this sencha the shipping costs are an issue. But I will probably order again from them one of these days just because of it, let me be good and use some of my stash before!

BTW If you want to try Queen Catherine, Vanilla Comoro decaf or Paris, I can send you a sample by mail, no problem!

I feel terrible for not being certain of who sent me this, but I’m pretty sure it’s ToiToi, so thank you ToiToi!

This is a nice bagged sencha. It was very drinkable. Nothing stood out as particularly bad or good, but all in all I enjoyed this very much.

One of my favorite coffee shops in the area keeps this tea on hand. It’s quite tasty for a bagged tea. I think Harney & Sons have some of the best bagged teas I have tasted. A light aroma, pale liquor, a nice light grassy flavor. For an inexpensive high quality bagged sencha I would say this is a good option.

Cofftea

I haven’t read too many of your reviews, but you must be pretty hard on the teas you review (not a bad thing). “quite tasty”, “some of the best baged teas”, and “high quality” don’t seem worthy of a 57.

The DJBooth

ahhh you know you are right about that I must fix that :)

The DJBooth

and I’m still getting used to the rating system still being a newbie

I experienced this tea at a corperate function today, and I was definitely glad of it! They had a small selection of teas from H&S, but I thought this Sencha would be the most refreshing. It’s the first time I’ve sampled a Sencha, and I was looking forward to trying it.

The tea in the bag looked quite dull to start with, but it smelt good. It was quite grassy as someone else has mentioned. When brewing a hint of nut was also released in the background. The taste was similar, although the nuttiness at the back came out more to balance the grass. The wet leaves were a fantastic emerald green colour. I did feel the bag hindered the flavour a bit though, whether it was the general tea in a bag production or the steeping.

I was impressed with this first try of Sencha. I have some loose leaf to sample soon, and I expect a more natural flavour. I’m excited to try multiple uses to see how the flavour changes.

One other thing about my experience, there was lots of bits on the outside of the tea bag before I put it in the mug!

I’m skipping the queue with this one because this is a really old bag that Fleurdelily shared with me in 2012. Yes, 2012. It’s that old! It’s been languishing in a tin of quite forgotten teabags of the same age and that’s what I’ve been drinking today.

This is the one that has handled it the worst. There’s pretty much nothing left, but there’s just enough flavour to provide a fairly pleasant cup of hot water.

On the other hand, it gives me an opportunity to impart a green tea related thing that happened to me yesterday. At work we have this coffee/hot chocolate vending machine that we can use for free. It can also dispense hot water so they’ve put up a selection of usually around five to seven different boxes of tea bags. Several of these boxes seem to be variety packs so the amount of choice is quite good. Only… Primarily, it’s Pickwick, and Pickwick is on par with Lipton. Well, it’s free and it’s a super common brand and most people aren’t as into this stuff as we are on Steepster. (No, really. Most people don’t care. It’s true!) It’s our cleaning assistants who look after it, and yesterday one of them was doing the daily cleaning/re-fill of it. She had just taken the foil off a green tea variety pack when I happened to walk past. So she thrust it right under my nose.

“Here, smell this! Doesn’t that smell lovely?” says she.

(recoils a bit) “I think it smells cheap…” says I. I swear it just popped out of my mouth. Had I had a moment to think I’d have just said yes and judged silently.

“Cheap?! You’re not serious! They cost over 20 kr each these boxes!” exclaims she.

“Yeah, that’s cheap,” says I in another spontaneous moment and hurried on before we could get into a discussion about it.

What I really ought to have said was that it smelled ridiculously expensive, because while the tea itself did smell quite cheap and paper-y, she’s right that it is hugely expensive when it comes to the actual amount of actual tea in a box.

I will also blame my unintended honesty on the fact that the box she put under my nose was a variety pack of floral scented green teas, and I don’t much care for floral stuff under the best of circumstances. Actually I don’t even much like the smell of perfume or even some flowers. There’s a particular one that I’ve told Husband in banned from the house on account of it being stinky. I can’t remember what it’s called, but I can recognise it on sight stink. Luckily for me he thinks he knows which one I mean and is fine with it. For people who like flower smells it’s probably lovely. I think it reeks to high heaven because the scent of it is so very strong.

If only she hadn’t thrust that box under my particular sniffer!

Aroma: Sharp, vegetal, sweet grass
Liquor Color: Bright yellow
Liquor Flavor: Sharp, grassy but refreshing, I think I over-steeped it a little so it was bitter
Notes: I can’t say I loved it, but I didn’t hate it either. Was a little flat for my taste buds, not much complexity going on. But, it did have flavor, and it was a good tea bag tea. Maybe I brewed it too long so my opinion will change if I happen to try it again.

Light and enjoyable green tea. A new favorite?

Yet another free sample with my order. I can’t remember if I’ve ever had Sencha before. It’s delightful. Grassy tasting, but in a fresh way (not a “just mowed the lawn and now I’m dying of allergies” way). I accidentally oversteeped this (okay, not completely accidentally – after 3 minutes the water was barely colored so I left it in) but I like my tea strong and I’m okay with some slight bitterness.

I like bancha better, but this is still a good solid green tea.

8 min or more