Japanese Sencha (filter bag)

Green Tea
Green Tea
Wood
Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Harney & Sons

Our Sencha is a very fine one, which can be found in many homes in Tokyo. It is a very approachable green tea. This is a fine choice for an everyday tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

John Harney Appreciation Tea #5

It’s been a while since I brewed up a filter bag of Japanese Sencha, but today I did after lunch, and it was like meeting up with an old friend. For years, Stash Premium Green was my go-to filter bag green tea, but now I find that this Harney & Sons bag is just as dependable and easy to prepare—and it tastes even better!

The contents of the filter bag expand something like four-fold, and the liquor is cloudy greenish-yellow, so it’s clear that H&S did some serious research in figuring out how to offer a high-quality sencha in the filter bag format. This stuff is super tasty and warrants the epithet on the envelope, “Nourishing Tea”, because drinking it feels like eating food!

Cameron B.

You make sencha sound so yummy… I may have to start buying straight teas soon… :D

sherapop

Cameron B: You don’t know what you’re missing! ;-)

Amaryllis

I have very strained relationship with green tea but your reviews make want to give it another try! :)

Delicious Delights

Nice to see a fellow perfumista enjoying tea as much as I do :)

A tea bag sample kindly sent in a Harney order. I was not crazy about the other sample but this one, which did not seem too promising ( I usually like Chinese tea better than Japanese) is delicious, maybe my favorite of the lot, even better than what I had aqctually ordered (apart maybe from Queen Catherine). A nice simple sencha in a convenient tea bag format. Very nice. Staple-ish tea potential and to buy if/when I order from them again (transatlantic shipping costs being responsible for there being an IF).

A small note – I brewed this with about twice as much water as recommended (hmm, about .7l, enough for two mugs worth) and it was perfectly to my taste just like that – I did use mineral water though! Brewed a second steep and it held up to that as well. If you are making this, or using the loose leaf, might be worth experimenting with being less generous with tea quantity than advised, might work for you as well.

Angrboda

What sort of shipping did you end up paying for this?

cteresa

Just checked and I paid 13.17 for two tins (one with 125 grams, another with 20 or 30 sachets), a few samples (and it came in a cardboard box, so i guess a few samples or a few grams more of tea will not alter it much). The site estimate for the shipping was higher, around 18 dollars, but they corrected it before sending. My country was not on the list of countries, they told me to just pick closest one and put it on comment field while ordering. It was pretty fast as well, from order to it getting to my hands it was maybe 10 days?

cteresa

Just to ass 13.17 USD, not euros! It sounds more reasonable as it should in euros. And if you are not a tin fetichist like I am, they sell loose tea in ziplocs bags which I am sure will lower shipping. Their 2USD samples are a nice size as well.

But still, much as I loved this sencha the shipping costs are an issue. But I will probably order again from them one of these days just because of it, let me be good and use some of my stash before!

BTW If you want to try Queen Catherine, Vanilla Comoro decaf or Paris, I can send you a sample by mail, no problem!

I feel terrible for not being certain of who sent me this, but I’m pretty sure it’s ToiToi, so thank you ToiToi!

This is a nice bagged sencha. It was very drinkable. Nothing stood out as particularly bad or good, but all in all I enjoyed this very much.

One of my favorite coffee shops in the area keeps this tea on hand. It’s quite tasty for a bagged tea. I think Harney & Sons have some of the best bagged teas I have tasted. A light aroma, pale liquor, a nice light grassy flavor. For an inexpensive high quality bagged sencha I would say this is a good option.

Cofftea

I haven’t read too many of your reviews, but you must be pretty hard on the teas you review (not a bad thing). “quite tasty”, “some of the best baged teas”, and “high quality” don’t seem worthy of a 57.

The DJBooth

ahhh you know you are right about that I must fix that :)

The DJBooth

and I’m still getting used to the rating system still being a newbie

I experienced this tea at a corperate function today, and I was definitely glad of it! They had a small selection of teas from H&S, but I thought this Sencha would be the most refreshing. It’s the first time I’ve sampled a Sencha, and I was looking forward to trying it.

The tea in the bag looked quite dull to start with, but it smelt good. It was quite grassy as someone else has mentioned. When brewing a hint of nut was also released in the background. The taste was similar, although the nuttiness at the back came out more to balance the grass. The wet leaves were a fantastic emerald green colour. I did feel the bag hindered the flavour a bit though, whether it was the general tea in a bag production or the steeping.

I was impressed with this first try of Sencha. I have some loose leaf to sample soon, and I expect a more natural flavour. I’m excited to try multiple uses to see how the flavour changes.

One other thing about my experience, there was lots of bits on the outside of the tea bag before I put it in the mug!

Friend lent me one and said it was too earthy. I got green, woody, and grassy, but it was actually kinda nice. Surprised this was a decent bag.

Harney & Sons is one of my favorite companies for black teas. No one puts out as many hits as them in my opinion. From their Earl Grey to their Holiday tea, they alway impress and leave me wanting another cup.

As for their green teas, I’d only ever had Cherry Blossom green by them. A surprisingly delightful tea considering I don’t tend to enjoy fruity teas.

Last night, I went to a Japanese buffet with my husband and one of our friends. They didn’t have pots of teas for the table, only cups. And only one tea: Harney & Sons Japanese Sencha.

At first, I found the tea absolutely delightful. However, when I got to the bottom, things got a little odd. Usually, I leave my tea bags in the entire time because I like it strong. Very few teas are too strong for me to handle the bag being kept in for longer than a few minutes (Yorkshire for example). When I reached the bottom of this tea, I was met with an extremely tart finish that I’d never experienced with a proper green before. When enjoying a cup of tea, you don’t want those last sips to ruin your entire cup. And that’s why this doesn’t get a very high rating from me.

I must say, for not being a fan of Japanese greens, I enjoy this one. It’s liquor is light in color, but the taste is very smooth and buttery. I like the quality of the tea. I’ve noticed that Harney & Sons bagged selections have a tendency to have higher standards than most other teas. They have fuller leaves in the bags, rather than the “bits” and dust that come in a “normal” and/or basic tea bag.

(Side Note: I’ve been trying to hold off on having heavy meals throughout the day. So, I “snack” more often, and have healthier food choices in my diet. I must say that this tea pairs well with veggie stir fry. It’s light, buttery, and smooth.)

This is another satisfying Harney & Sons tea. It’s a little light for my liking…probably the lightest and sweetest sencha I have ever had, and slightly grassy. It’s definitely the best bagged sencha I have ever had, and I will enjoy drinking it when I’m looking for the convenience of a bagged tea.

not sure if this was an old tea bag or what..but i might as well have been drinking water. I think i’ll stick to fresh tea for my straight greens.