Keemun Mao Feng

Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by ashmanra

• “Tea of the afternoon..... I finally made it to my winter break! We have a few little side trips to make, but mostly we will be home for the next few weeks. Bliss! This is my celebratory...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 971 tasting notes
  • “Treating myself to this magical tea today. The touch of smoke. The chocolate notes. The richness. The inexplicably fruity note on the end of the sip. This is a wonderful, wonderful miracle of...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Well, this is different....I wanted iced tea and I wanted it right away, and it had to be sweet tea because I was trying to create a real Southern meal such as would be served after a funeral. ...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1796 tasting notes
  • “I am trying this today - my experience with Keemuns has been a bit "meh" but I've read so many good things about this one. I swear the dry leaves smelled like a Merlot wine and are very slender...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2307 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

With thin and twisted strips of black tea with russet interwoven, and the aromas of dark cocoa, this tea is a classic Keemun Mao Feng. It is an early season tea from the famous gardens around Keemun (also known as Qimen) in Anhui Province in China. This is a delightful tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

Another new sample I am trying from Harney & Sons, I am still branching out and I really want to get to know more pure teas, instead of blends. Now this one I really love. It is full bodied, little sweet, nutty, definitely chocolatey, but not an obnoxious chocolate taste, and a bit… woodsey. I didn’t really taste the fruity part until it cooled down a bit, then I got that description. It has a dark malty liquor color and definitely something that I will buy again. I think I found my standard black tea for the mornings.

Sadly it seems pretty expensive per ounce ($10), and Harney doesn’t sell more than two ounces at a time. Trying this Keemun, makes me curious about the other Keemuns, and also I want to see if I can find this cheaper, and in greater quantities elsewhere.

I ordered a sample of this along with a Scottish Morn sample and 4oz of Assam back before I left on my summer tour with the Academy Drum and Bugle Corps. I loved this tea before I left, and I hoped it would keep in it’s airtight bag, and it did! I had another cup of it today, and it tastes just as great as when I first had it months ago. It definitely has that chocolatey taste to it like a good black tea does. I can taste a little smoke, but not a whole lot. I find this tea to be great because it’s on the simpler side of the flavor profile, but still is very satisfying to drink as it’s so well balanced. This is something I will definitely consider ordering in bulk for my next order to have alongside my assam.

On another note, I just tried re-steeping it, and while it’s currently too hot to drink as of yet, I can say the brew looks significantly lighter, so this might not be the best tea to re-steep. But that is speculation.