Soba Cha - Buckwheat Tea

Herbal Tea
Grain, Peanut, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Toasted, Cocoa, Roasted Barley, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Toasty
Edit tea info Last updated by hanshin767
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 10 oz / 307 ml

• “I think I'm just in the mood for comforting teas tonight. This is soooo good!!! I still think it's like drinking warm puffed wheat. A touch a sweetener, and a splash of milk and it's like hot...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 752 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (159) I am sad to see it go but I have more on the way plus, what better time to enjoy my beloved tea than watching *GAME OF THRONES!!!*” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2087 tasting notes
  • “SO GOOD! I LOVE this tea. Not necessarily just the Harney version, but I love buckwheat tea in general. I brewed up a big 2 L pitcher of hot tea. It is a bit light tasting because I didn't...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 814 tasting notes
  • “ So this tea is still in its probationary phase with me. And I've liked it, but I'm already pretty certain i won't be restocking it. I'm also pretty certain that I'll be doling out a lot of it to...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Takashimaya was the best tea shop in New York for many years. They did a great job with teas from Japan and around the world (which we supplied.) One of Brigitte Harney’s favorite drinks was Soba. This is roasted buckwheat and is caffeine free. Its toasty flavor is a delight.

About Harney & Sons View company

This one came from Dexter. I’ve found myself very interested in this and other similar soba cha teas for a while now, but this is the first time I’ve actually tried one. Dexter was sweet enough to send me a sample of this one and the Yunnan Sourcing version. The kernels (?) are a warm medium tan in color and only a couple millimeters in diameter. I didn’t get much of a smell from the dry grains.

As soon as I poured the water, I could smell roasted peanuts. Yum… The steeped tea itself also smells like roasted nuts or a toasted grain cereal. This is delicious! It’s hard for me to describe it because it reminds me of something specific, but I can’t think of what it is… I’ll just say it’s quite roasty but not in a strong way like mugicha, it’s more mellow and nutty. It tastes somewhat similar to that “Honey Smacks” puffed wheat cereal that I had as a kid. There’s the same lingering sweetness that I noticed in my mugicha earlier. Yummy!

Flavors: Grain, Peanut, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Toasted

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

It’s been an unusually cold fall here, with the temperature falling close to freezing at night and a bitingly cold wind during the day. Often we’ll have warm weather up until mid-October, but not this year apparently. I guess I should consider myself lucky – Calgary was hit by a blizzard.

I’ve heard of soba-cha from time to time but I’ve never had the chance to try it myself until I got a sample via the Traveling Teabox. The flavour is quite distinctive – very roasted-malty with undertones of raw, slightly bitter cocoa and something that’s a bit like coffee. It’s a warm, pleasant brew that’s perfect for warming me up on a chill evening like this.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Toasty cereal tea, Its simple and comforting. I was so close to buying more the other day when they had free shipping and donated 30% to the Marine Scholarship Fund in memory of John Harney. Toward the end of the day things happened in life that I knew I could not get more just yet.

Whoa this is GOOD! The LTF advised me to make it in a big mug and I’m so glad I did. If it got cold here, I would have this every single cold morning (and night). Comforting roasty yumminess. I followed LTF’s advice and added a little maple and a little almond milk and this is like drinking breakfast. Love!

Also, is it weird that I dumped the tea into a wee cup and added a little maple syrup and ate it?

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
TheTeaFairy

Lol, You did good kiddo ;-) It’s all pure goodness.
And it’s dexter who introduced me to this…I am so grateful!

MzPriss

I’m still nomming this – while making my grocery list to go get buckwheat pancake supplies

TheTeaFairy

Bluberry buckwheat pankakes …that’s my favourite.

MzPriss

I will see if they have any organic blueberries at the co-op – which I am off to as I am hungry now.

Holly Faye

This sounds like a great comfort tea!

It really is TK

ashmanra

My son brought me some that his Chinese roommate left behind when he moved back to China. It is good! I drank it plain, but you make me want to try it other ways, too!

Christina

Whenever I make sobacha, I try to save the grains for breakfast the next morning. Put the grains in a little bowl, mix them with yogurt, and you’re good to go.

Ubacat

I like cooked buckwheat cereal but never thought about tea grains.

It’s good!

Sarsonator

Ooooohh lovely! Sounds deeeelish!!!

Thanks VariaTEA! I’m really excited to try this because I’d heard so much about it and was so curious. And I really like it! It reminds me of Lupicia’s Orzo, but it’s not quite as rich and coffee-like. It’s just a nice warm barley tea. So comforting for the end of the day!

T&C TTB Tea # 7 – Backlog May 24

(4-5 min @ 96 degrees)

Yum yum!
This was a wishlist tea that I was happy to find in the box. It basically tasted like toasted rice. Or cereal. Wheat squares? I dunno.

Very similar to a genmaicha. Would make a good mix-in/addition to another tea. It tastes like some kind of toasty cereal and that is all I have to say.

It was different, and I’d like to have some more!

I had this last night and… well, it tasted like a buckwheat tea would ;D I can see myself reaching for it when I feel overdosed on caffeine, but it failed to stir me in any special way. It was definitely flavorful, more flavorful than one would expect from a handful of buckwheat and the aroma reminded me a bit of Polish roasted grain “coffee”. It was kind of like… a genmaicha with no tea in it :D

I would still like to try Lupicia’s flavored orzos though. I realize it’s not quite the same thing, but this tea and these orzos often come up together in people’s notes, so that’s where my mind went.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TheTeaFairy

Funny that you mentioned genmaicha without the tea, I have actually mixed it with Verdant Laoshan Black and also, with some sencha. Both were so delicious, it’s like making your own genmaicha with any kind of base you choose :-)

Kat_Maria

Ha! Thank for the tip. I should try it with sencha :)

Oh I love this tea! I was wondering how one buckwheat tea can taste different from the next and I guess they can. I tried the buckwheat from Wang and found it okay but weak. This tea is not. It’s rich , full , roasty. It kinda reminds me a bit of coffee in some ways. Of course it’s just a bonus that’s it so healthy and caffeine free too. I could enjoy this anytime. Already been looking at what it would cost to order from Harney & Sons.

Thank-you Dexter3657 for this great sample!

Boiling
Christina

How does it compare to the one from Ito-en that I sent you? I was considering the Wang sobacha next (because it was so cheap) but I’m glad to know you thought it weak.

Ubacat

I had to brew up a cup to see so check out my other tasting note. So far the Harney & Son Soba Cha is the nuttiest and deepest roast out of all 3. If you want I can send you some of the Wang sobacha. I’ve got so much of it!!

T&C TTB

A toasty tea which reminds me of Genmaicha. It’s roasted buckwheat vs. rice which I seem to like better for some reason. After adding honey, this tea tasted a lot like Honey Smacks cereal.

You found a toasty tea that I like NayLynn, thank you for sharing this in the TTB!

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

TTB&C #17

I have seen this pop up quite a bit lately. Not sure why, so I had added it to my wish list not that long ago. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one. It is nice. It is sweet, cocoa, grainy flavor. I also want to use the word popcorn. It is kinda like drinking popcorn. I like it but I am not sure if it would be something I would crave.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML