Soba Cha - Buckwheat Tea

Herbal Tea
Cocoa, Roasted Barley, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Toasty
Edit tea info Last updated by hanshin767
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 10 oz / 287 ml

• “I think I'm just in the mood for comforting teas tonight. This is soooo good!!! I still think it's like drinking warm puffed wheat. A touch a sweetener, and a splash of milk and it's like hot...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 697 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (159) I am sad to see it go but I have more on the way plus, what better time to enjoy my beloved tea than watching *GAME OF THRONES!!!*” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1847 tasting notes
  • “SO GOOD! I LOVE this tea. Not necessarily just the Harney version, but I love buckwheat tea in general. I brewed up a big 2 L pitcher of hot tea. It is a bit light tasting because I didn't...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 754 tasting notes
  • “ So this tea is still in its probationary phase with me. And I've liked it, but I'm already pretty certain i won't be restocking it. I'm also pretty certain that I'll be doling out a lot of it to...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 450 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Takashimaya was the best tea shop in New York for many years. They did a great job with teas from Japan and around the world (which we supplied.) One of Brigitte Harney’s favorite drinks was Soba. This is roasted buckwheat and is caffeine free. Its toasty flavor is a delight.

About Harney & Sons View company

T&C TTB Tea # 7 – Backlog May 24

(4-5 min @ 96 degrees)

Yum yum!
This was a wishlist tea that I was happy to find in the box. It basically tasted like toasted rice. Or cereal. Wheat squares? I dunno.

Very similar to a genmaicha. Would make a good mix-in/addition to another tea. It tastes like some kind of toasty cereal and that is all I have to say.

It was different, and I’d like to have some more!

I had this last night and… well, it tasted like a buckwheat tea would ;D I can see myself reaching for it when I feel overdosed on caffeine, but it failed to stir me in any special way. It was definitely flavorful, more flavorful than one would expect from a handful of buckwheat and the aroma reminded me a bit of Polish roasted grain “coffee”. It was kind of like… a genmaicha with no tea in it :D

I would still like to try Lupicia’s flavored orzos though. I realize it’s not quite the same thing, but this tea and these orzos often come up together in people’s notes, so that’s where my mind went.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TheTeaFairy

Funny that you mentioned genmaicha without the tea, I have actually mixed it with Verdant Laoshan Black and also, with some sencha. Both were so delicious, it’s like making your own genmaicha with any kind of base you choose :-)

Kat_Maria

Ha! Thank for the tip. I should try it with sencha :)

Oh I love this tea! I was wondering how one buckwheat tea can taste different from the next and I guess they can. I tried the buckwheat from Wang and found it okay but weak. This tea is not. It’s rich , full , roasty. It kinda reminds me a bit of coffee in some ways. Of course it’s just a bonus that’s it so healthy and caffeine free too. I could enjoy this anytime. Already been looking at what it would cost to order from Harney & Sons.

Thank-you Dexter3657 for this great sample!

Boiling
Christina

How does it compare to the one from Ito-en that I sent you? I was considering the Wang sobacha next (because it was so cheap) but I’m glad to know you thought it weak.

Ubacat

I had to brew up a cup to see so check out my other tasting note. So far the Harney & Son Soba Cha is the nuttiest and deepest roast out of all 3. If you want I can send you some of the Wang sobacha. I’ve got so much of it!!

T&C TTB

A toasty tea which reminds me of Genmaicha. It’s roasted buckwheat vs. rice which I seem to like better for some reason. After adding honey, this tea tasted a lot like Honey Smacks cereal.

You found a toasty tea that I like NayLynn, thank you for sharing this in the TTB!

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

TTB&C #17

I have seen this pop up quite a bit lately. Not sure why, so I had added it to my wish list not that long ago. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one. It is nice. It is sweet, cocoa, grainy flavor. I also want to use the word popcorn. It is kinda like drinking popcorn. I like it but I am not sure if it would be something I would crave.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh Soba Cha!

So enticing I want to eat chunks of my mug, that how good it smells while I drink it.

Buckwheat pancakes, roasted grains, toasty cereals, it’s such a treat!

Ok, I pretty much NEVER add anything to my tea, not that there’s anything wrong with that, just not my preference.

But, this, THIS, with almond milk is like having a liquid bowl of your favourite cereals. Why don’t I make a giant pot of this instead of a cup?

My 4oz tin won’t last very long, I can tell you that!

I can’t ever thank my friend Dexter enough for introducing me to this wonderful tea from H&S :-)

Cameron B.

This tea sounds fantastic! It’ll probably be a while until I order from Harney (I have a tea buying queue…) but I’ll definitely be grabbing some of this. :D

Dexter

You are very welcome my friend. I totally agree with you – liquid bowl of cereal!!! A touch of sweet and a splash of milk and this just makes me HAPPY!!!

MzPriss

I need to try this one.

Cheri

I feel the same way, MzPriss. Every time I see this reviewed I really want some.

Sami Kelsh

OH MAN this sounds so magical.

TheTeaFairy

That’s exactly what this is: a happy tea :-)

gmathis

OK, any tea that inspires mug-biting has my attention!

TheTeaFairy

It is totally mug-bite worthy gmahis!

madametj

Pro-tip: Keep an eye out for roasted buckwheat or “Kasha” at your healthfood store. It’s the same thing as this. I got 11 ounces from the bulk foods section for $2.50. :) They let you buy as little or much as you want :)

TheTeaFairy

Thanks for the tip madametj, will look it up for sure :-)

boychik

its not the same. Groats of kasha are much larger. i have on hand both – kasha and tea. And buckwheat has a tendency to get spoiled without fridge.

Tastes the same

madametj

Soba cha is roasted buckwheat as a tea. Kasha is roasted buckwheat as a cereal.

whatshesaid

Interesting idea, I could just pick some up at bulk food store and stick it in the fridge, good suggestion! Probably tastes the same anyhow, maybe just a bit less flavorful if the bits are bigger

Dexter

I’m not sure where you guys are buying this, but I’ve looked and asked at several health food stores and bulk stores – haven’t been able to find anything roasted. I did buy some straight buckwheat, gave it a quick roast in the oven – that didn’t work very well. Will keep looking for it…..

Cameron B.

I am so sad that I forgot to add a sample of this to my H&S order…

Aww! Dexter3657 surprised me with a package today. Thank you! Some puerh to hoard away err, share with my brother, and a couple other samples. This was one!

I used the whole thing in a giant mug. :) Go big or go home tonight, I guess. And I like it! So true, it’s like puffed wheat. Only hot and not chewed. I think it would go well with milk! Mmm… I think I will need to hunt down something like this locally. Maybe one of the Asian supermarkets will have it!

Dexter

LOL – a little sweet, and a little milk and this is almost a sugary kiddy cereal. If you get a chance, I would for sure try it with a little milk. Glad you liked it. :))

OMGsrsly

I have buckwheat in my cupboard as well, so I could just make some. :) That would be sooo good! I wonder if I can resteep…

Suziqzer

Oh… Try the resteep.. I always do if I find something I really like. Why now see how many cups you will get. ?? But that’s just me. :)

Suziqzer

Why “not”… Oopsie… autocorrect got me again!

gmathis

Good thought—I’ll have to remember to look for it at our local indie grocery source.

OMGsrsly

You can get instant cereal tea with milk and sugar already added, I do know that. I haven’t been able to try them because they all have gluten.

I’ll be trying the resteep tonight. Fingers crossed!

VariaTEA

My roommate said this is very similar to Korean barley tea so you might be able to find something along those lines at an asian supermarket

OMGsrsly

Sadly barley = gluten. I have checked! I haven’t found one that’s unsweetened yet either. There’s a lot of instant stuff available here.

VariaTEA

Oh that is right. My bad.

:) No worries.

Really tragic sipdown (135/142)…

It’s heart breaking to finish this one off, again. I want to have it stocked up SO BADLY! It’s the perfect mug of hot roasty goodness (plus it’s good iced to) and the best late night comfort cup. Thankfully I’ve really stretched out the samples I’ve received of this one and managed to get so many good cups!

And, I know I’ll have this one in my possession again eventually! I can’t justify a Harney order right now, but as soon as I can you just know this is going to be included! In fact, it’ll probably be the first thing I include! So. Damn. Good.

Flavors: Cocoa, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Toasty

Dexter

I have 250g of what I’m hoping is something similar from Yunnan Sourcing enroute to me right now. If it’s as good as this I will pass some your way. :))

TheTeaFairy

Dex, I hope it will be as good and roasty as this one. I always think of you when I drink it :-)

Dexter

LOL Here’s hoping, if not I have 250g of cereal….

Cheri

This is one I really want to try. H&S has a lot of teas on Amazon, but not this one. (I can sneak in a tea on an Amazon order on occasion.) I’ll have to wait until I place a H&S order to get this one, but I really, really want to try it.

I steeped this then poured it over ice for a cool drink. It is very similar to a genmacha with that roasty flavor, but there is something different at the bottom of the sip. Almost plasticy, but not in a super gross way. I have had roasted buckwheat tea before and enjoyed it, but this one isn’t impressing me the way the other did. It’s okay, but I think there are much less expensive options for this at my local Asian market.

Oops! I noticed that I wrote a review for H&S Midsommer’s Peach tea under this one. I don’t know how that happened because I specifically remember being on the peach tea’s page, weird. So if anyone read my review talking about a candy peach flavour, that was an accident! Well I guess I’ll review this one now that I am here.

I stole this out of the Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box – Round one. I love genmaicha and this smelled quite similar, , but without the green tea. It was really good, but a little boring to me. I don’t think it is something I would drink on it’s own anymore, so I added this to my decaf sencha and I really like it that way. Similar to genmaicha, but a stronger toasty flavour.

caile

haha, I was wondering about the peach. ;-)