White Christmas

White Tea
Citrus, Vanilla, Bitter, Eucalyptus, Grain, Hay, Menthol
Edit tea info Last updated by Kristin

From Harney & Sons

Recline in front of a glowing fire while the snow drifts, and the tree lights twinkle. A sip from this warm and nutty blend completes the perfect winter wonderland. Hand-picked white tea blended with almonds, vanilla and cardamom, accented by white chamomile flowers.

About Harney & Sons View company

I got a half container of this from a coworker who’s not a tea fan. (More tea for me, yay!). It’s lovely, Creamy almondy goodness, just can’t beat it! It leaves a warmth on the tongue. It definitely does not need to be just reserved for Christmas. I know I’ll be enjoying this one through the rest of winter. :)

I’m a little surprised this isn’t rated a little higher…reading the reviews It seems to me like it’s a misunderstood tea…and no one gets it. oh well…

I really really like this one.. enough to buy it in a larger quantity….I got the sample so….

And it’s my second cup of it today…so my sample is going faster than I expected!

Why drink 2 cups of this in September?? Well, I was designing Christmas cookies today (always gotta work 2 or 3 months ahead of the season) and I wasn’t feeling it…needed inspiration. So I brewed a cup of this….and I liked it so much I’m making it my evening cup.

I like the delicacy of white tea. When I opened the bag and smelled….it smelled like Christmas…and yes, there is sort of a strange sugar cookie, white chocolate peppermint smell…it smells like Christmas….it really does.

I use a lot of cardamom during the holiday season so I recognized it…but it’s so subtle here…as cardamom should be when used in something sweet…..if taken too liberally it can really be a BAM in your face kind of seasoning…which I love in Chai…but this wasn’t meant to be a chai….so here it seems to be leveled and balanced almost like it would be in baking.

I get the almond….a soft subtle sweet nuttiness…

And I get the vanilla. which is what I’m the most impressed with…it tastes and smells like vanilla bean..not extract or artificial flavoring…but bean…which is very different. It’s smooth and mellow and deliciously creamy.

the chamomile….I actually wasn’t even aware of it till the end…and I honestly think it just amplifies the subtle sweetness.

From a bakers perspective…I can best describe the taste as a lightly spiced almond cookie. I mean that’s almost exactly what it tastes like.

It’s one of those teas that changes with every sip….developing into a new page…like a new day in December….

It’s a very soft, comforting, wrap yourself in a cashmere sweater kind of sip and it brings me joy. It deserves my nice china tonight. I’m ordering more for the holiday for sure.

White Christmas on TV and White Christmas Tea in my mug.

I am not sure about this tea. I brewed it for about 5 min, but it still tasted very weak. The almond flavoring throws me off a bit as well. I think I like the idea of this tea more than I like the taste of this tea.

This is a bit of a backlog, because I finished my last sachet of this . . . at the end of November? Maybe? I remember being so very disappointed with this tea. I got it because I was desperately trying to find a clone of DT’s Checkmate, which I remember loving a few winters ago, and because I enjoy cardamom, and it’s surprisingly hard to find outside of chai-blends. This tea smelled like white chocolate and wet hay, followed by a really weird and harshly bitter mint note that was very out of place. I didn’t get much of an almond note at all, and I’m thinking everything else overpowered it. On the up side, this really did smell like winter mornings. But while I thought I WANTED to drink a liquid winter morning, it turns out that I really did not.

I wanted more almond and vanilla and spice. I wanted coziness. The mint dashed all those wants, and I just couldn’t get over it.

This was really disappointing :( No Christmas, no fun, nothing like I expected at all. It was really weak, even when I used less water than normal. Oh well. It’s not totally unpleasant. It’s just something I don’t feel a desire to reach for.

My mom gave me a sample of this tea from her BF order. I’ve been curious about it for awhile, but I’m not the biggest H&S fan, so I haven’t yet tried it. The aroma and flavor are nice and cozy. It’s a good winter tea. I taste vanilla, mint, and a pastry element, which could be the almond. There’s not supposed to be mint, so that might just be me misinterpreting the cardamom. It’s not super strong though. There’s also an herbal element to it that I’m not fond of, but overall, it’s a nice afternoon or evening tea.

This was an unexpected treat! My sister bought a tin of this tea at Barnes and Noble, and graciously allowed me to try a cup with her tonight. (I’ve been converting her to the ways of tea, slowly but surely.) White Christmas is a white tea with almond and vanilla flavor, plus cardamom and a little chamomile. I tried to err on the side of under-steeping it, since my sister doesn’t like bitterness in her tea. And I think it turned out well!

As you may know, fellow Steepster users, I love spicy teas. So I tend to be a fan of holiday blends with lots of spice. Oddly enough, what I like about this tea is that it isn’t especially spicy. Instead it’s sweet, with lots of almond and vanilla (and just enough kick from the almond and the cardamom to give it a little warmth). It’s a nice change from all the cinnamon and clove in the holiday blends I’ve tried.

And I love the white tea base, too. It’s light and gentle and goes well with the sweet flavors. The second steep of this tea wasn’t quite as delicious as the first, but I still enjoyed the muted flavors (and the chamomile became more noticeable, which I liked). Something about it even tasted a little minty, but I think that was the combination of chamomile and almond? It gave the blend a even more wintry feel, in any case. This tea tastes like standing outside on a cold winter night and taking a bite out of a slice of almond cake. I might have to beg my sister to let me borrow a few more sachets!

Got a sample of this one with my last H&S order!
Was hoping it would be more Christmas-y. But the dry leaf and steeping smell are hardly anything at all. I have allergies, which means I don’t have the best smelling ability, but usually I can at least smell something. But there was like nothing, which is weird….
Definitely is light and smooth like a white tea should be. Also, the leaves are fluffy and cute, which is also good. xD
The flavor though…
It’s slightly citrus-y, with maybe a hint of vanilla? It really doesn’t taste strong at all…
It’s kinda a pathetic tea. Even silver needle tastes like more! Least that just tastes like sweet hay!
This I just…I don’t know.
I really don’t. xD
It’s just hardly any flavor at all. :/
So I’m gonna give it a low rating until I can find a way to actually make it taste more.
Maybe if I just use all of the sample next time. xD But then it might be bitter….I’ll have to experiment with this one later >>

Flavors: Citrus, Vanilla

OMGsrsly

I would probably suggest more tea, less time. Then you can always return the basket to your water if you taste it and it’s not enough.

Ost

True. Might try that, thanks!

This is another Harney & Sons tea I’ve been wanting to try for a while. So thank you to Blodeuyn for including a sample in our swap! I have the sachet version, and the contents basically look like crushed up white tea leaves. Dry scent is sweet vanilla with a touch of spice. I actually had to make this twice… The first time I steeped it for 4 minutes and it was super bitter, ick. The second time I did a 3 minute steep instead of 4.

The brewed aroma has a lot of vanilla with some mild spicing along with the hay and grain qualities of white tea. Honestly, I’m finding this tea really odd… There is some vanilla in the flavor along with the generic hay of the white tea, but the cardamom is horrible. It makes this taste very heavily of menthol or eucalyptus, and it’s basically undrinkable for me. It’s sad, I think this would make a very tasty tea if they were to do cinnamon, cloves, or nutmeg instead of the super strong cardamom. :(

Flavors: Bitter, Eucalyptus, Grain, Hay, Menthol, Vanilla

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Marzipan

That’s odd, cardamom to me only tastes a little floral. I use it in cooking some.

Cameron B.

To me, it kind of tastes similar to ginger. But it was just ridiculous in this tea. :x

Can’t make up my mind about this one. I’ve been wanting it since last year when I saw it at Chapters as part of a package. I didn’t buy it then because I wasn’t interested in the other teas that would have come along but I’ve been eyeballing it ever since. Well, now I have it.

Smells divine. Taste is decent but not what I expected. A lot of notes say “chocolate”. I’m not getting chocolate at all. I’m getting vanilla and cardamom, but I think I’m getting chamomile at the end of the sip, and that’s what’s turning me off a little. I will try to mask that in later cups, maybe with some almond milk but I’m hesitant to add that to a white tea. So yeah. That’s my take. I’m drinking it out of an blue glass mug so I have no idea what color it brews.

I also wasn’t sure how much water to use for 1 sachet so I went with 8 oz, which is half the mug. 177F, 3 minutes.