White Christmas

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Kristin

• “I have been promised the second episode of Sherlock tonight, but my Sherlock buddy is off playing hocky! Gah. Get back here, stupid Sherlock-buddy, so I can watch detectives in great coats. In...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 900 tasting notes
  • “I'm finishing off the last of this sample tonight... *sniff* It's okay to have a belated Christmas in MAY, right?!?! For some reason this seems minty to me tonight and I can't quite understand...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2392 tasting notes
  • “I still am amazed at how this smells like white chocolate and yet contains no chocolate. The cardamom in here is just so good. I love it and the vanilla. I know I said before I thought the vanilla...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1199 tasting notes
  • “Erm yes. Bear with me, Steepsterites. It's just because it's _now_ I'm drinking down Tea Corner and therefore I can't wait another half year to use this one. It's already a pretty old bag,...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1277 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Recline in front of a glowing fire while the snow drifts, and the tree lights twinkle. A sip from this warm and nutty blend completes the perfect winter wonderland. Hand-picked white tea blended with almonds, vanilla and cardamom, accented by white chamomile flowers.

About Harney & Sons View company

I got a half container of this from a coworker who’s not a tea fan. (More tea for me, yay!). It’s lovely, Creamy almondy goodness, just can’t beat it! It leaves a warmth on the tongue. It definitely does not need to be just reserved for Christmas. I know I’ll be enjoying this one through the rest of winter. :)

I’m a little surprised this isn’t rated a little higher…reading the reviews It seems to me like it’s a misunderstood tea…and no one gets it. oh well…

I really really like this one.. enough to buy it in a larger quantity….I got the sample so….

And it’s my second cup of it today…so my sample is going faster than I expected!

Why drink 2 cups of this in September?? Well, I was designing Christmas cookies today (always gotta work 2 or 3 months ahead of the season) and I wasn’t feeling it…needed inspiration. So I brewed a cup of this….and I liked it so much I’m making it my evening cup.

I like the delicacy of white tea. When I opened the bag and smelled….it smelled like Christmas…and yes, there is sort of a strange sugar cookie, white chocolate peppermint smell…it smells like Christmas….it really does.

I use a lot of cardamom during the holiday season so I recognized it…but it’s so subtle here…as cardamom should be when used in something sweet…..if taken too liberally it can really be a BAM in your face kind of seasoning…which I love in Chai…but this wasn’t meant to be a chai….so here it seems to be leveled and balanced almost like it would be in baking.

I get the almond….a soft subtle sweet nuttiness…

And I get the vanilla. which is what I’m the most impressed with…it tastes and smells like vanilla bean..not extract or artificial flavoring…but bean…which is very different. It’s smooth and mellow and deliciously creamy.

the chamomile….I actually wasn’t even aware of it till the end…and I honestly think it just amplifies the subtle sweetness.

From a bakers perspective…I can best describe the taste as a lightly spiced almond cookie. I mean that’s almost exactly what it tastes like.

It’s one of those teas that changes with every sip….developing into a new page…like a new day in December….

It’s a very soft, comforting, wrap yourself in a cashmere sweater kind of sip and it brings me joy. It deserves my nice china tonight. I’m ordering more for the holiday for sure.

White Christmas on TV and White Christmas Tea in my mug.

I am not sure about this tea. I brewed it for about 5 min, but it still tasted very weak. The almond flavoring throws me off a bit as well. I think I like the idea of this tea more than I like the taste of this tea.

Can’t make up my mind about this one. I’ve been wanting it since last year when I saw it at Chapters as part of a package. I didn’t buy it then because I wasn’t interested in the other teas that would have come along but I’ve been eyeballing it ever since. Well, now I have it.

Smells divine. Taste is decent but not what I expected. A lot of notes say “chocolate”. I’m not getting chocolate at all. I’m getting vanilla and cardamom, but I think I’m getting chamomile at the end of the sip, and that’s what’s turning me off a little. I will try to mask that in later cups, maybe with some almond milk but I’m hesitant to add that to a white tea. So yeah. That’s my take. I’m drinking it out of an blue glass mug so I have no idea what color it brews.

I also wasn’t sure how much water to use for 1 sachet so I went with 8 oz, which is half the mug. 177F, 3 minutes.

Tastes much better as it cools down. Another mild tea. Vanilla notes and creamy texture.

200 °F / 93 °C

I know St Patty’s day is a little late for Christmas tea but I wanted something I hadn’t had in a while. This is a pleasant tea. It aroma when first brewed is pleasantly vanilla with more of the almond and camomile scents coming later. My water was just below boiling and I forgot about it for about 10 min but it wasn’t bitter. This isn’t a strongly flavored tea or very complex. I added some sugar and it was a nice cup of tea but nothing super great.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

Gorgeous tea! So light and flavorful and brews well in the silk pyramid sachets it comes in. Definitely a favorite!