Yunnan Golden Tips

Edit tea info Last updated by Ryan Burress

From Harney & Sons

This is a tea that is a mixture of the dull gold buds and black leaves from Yunnan Province. The aroma is a sweet earthy combination typical of many Yunnans.

About Harney & Sons View company

I was really lookiing forward to tasting this tea. Upon opening this sample, I see multi- hued, tippy leaves that smelled oh so naturally sweet, with a chocolatey, maltiness. Steeped using info below the wet leaves smelled of woods— like acorns & fresh autumn leaves, with a light earthiness….just amazing! Even wet, I could see different brown hues in the leaves.The cup color was a lighter honey brown, and the aroma was honey sweet, with a mild earthiness in the background. I let the cup cool before tasting, and was rewarded with amazing honey sweetness on the tongue. After swirling the tea in my mouth, I tasted mild earth notes with oak like woods on the back of the tongue and aftertaste. Such a delicious and tasteful cup!

Steeping a second cup for 5 minutes resulted in a slightly darker cup, with more earthy aromatics in the leaves and cup, while still smelling honey sweet to lesser degree. The taste was more earthy, with the honeyed sweetness more in the background. The wood notes noted in the first cup were now slightly noticeable (if at all).

As you can see, this is a visually stunning tea consisting of the full leaf and buds. Aromatics and flavors are great…changing with different steep times! A fantastic tea all around!! With one more cup in my sample, I’ll enjoy it later today, with plans of a bigger purchase in the near future. :))

Cupped & Reviewed: Friday, December 16, 2011.

TeaBrat

It sounds delicious!

ScottTeaMan

It really is….It is sorta malty and sweet like The Nahorhabi Assam, but with an earthiness typical of many Yunnans. I may up the rating today.

teaNsympathy

Wow you were right, this sounds absolutely amazing!! My mouth is watering; I’ll be trying and most likely buying this on Saturday!!! Thanks for the tip, I’m excited!!

2 heaping tsp for 16 oz

A very smooth tea, but doesn’t have the characteristic Yunnan flavor I’ve come to expect from a tippy Yunnan black. The Teavivre I have is a much better example.

Kashyap

I agree…I also think that Yunnan ‘golden’ blacks have been lacking in much of the signature dynamic flavors they have been known for, for a couple years…the best of which I have gotten direct from Yunnan Tea Sourcing and oddly enough…from Republic of Tea

Rachel J

Kashyap, I am about to place an order at Yunnan for 2 dian hongs recommended by user Doug. Care to give me your recommendation for a favorite so I can add it?

This tea has a nice, soft and sweet aroma. The taste is a little toasty with a sweet finish and brisk aftertaste. I doubt you would need any milk or sugar to appreciate this tea. It is not as bold in body as I usually like but it does have a complex enough character to occupy your taste buds for awhile with each sip. This is not a tea for the budget-conscious, but it is worth a taste.