Hot Cinnamon Spice

Black Tea Leaves, Cinnamon, Cinnamon Bark, Clove, Orange Peel
Cinnamon, Candy, Fruity, Clove, Honey, Nutmeg, Orange, Cardamon, Spices, Spicy, Sweet, Cloves
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Brandice

• “ I'm not feeling particularly verbose today, but I just wanted to give this tea the shout out it deserves. It didn't taste nearly as "zippy" to me this morning, although this is one of those teas...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “Gloomy, rainy ... this calls for some Hot Cinnamon Spice! I believe this is my first of the season! What more can I say about a tea I drink at least once a week all fall and winter? The proof is in...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Today was a great day for tea! I received a sachet of this to sample with the Cranberry Autumn and it smelled so good that I had to have it tonight. Good thing I don't have a sensitivity to...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 810 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning..... Fall is in the air! Yay! I love Fall. This is my most consumed cool weather tea. Red hots in a cup, no sweetener necessary. It is like magic. Usual teapot method.” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

It’s spicy! It’s sweet! It’s Hot Cinnamon Spice! As delicious as candy, this medium-bodied black tea also known as Hot Cinnamon Sunset is naturally sweetened to perfection by a blend of cinnamons, orange, and sweet cloves. The remarkably assertive tea effuses a hot spicy aroma and sets off miniature fireworks on the tongue that’ll have you exclaim WOW! Our most popular flavored tea will no doubt become a favorite. As you savor each sip, a gathering of spices settles at the bottom of your teacup for a final indulgence in pure cinnamon bliss! This tea is also known as Hot Cinnamon Sunset.

If you are using individually wrapped sachets please note that each sachet brews a 12oz cup of tea.

This is one of our oldest flavored tea blends. John Harney developed it in the beginning of the 1980s.

Over the decades its popularity has only grown, and now it is our most popular tea. People love its combination of strong spices and sweetness. And since there are no sugars (we tested it), it is safe for everyone to enjoy.

China black is the base of this tea so the leaves are dark brown. There are pieces of cinnamon bark and orange peel covered with cinnamon dust. The liquor of this tea is a medium brown with orange hues. This tea has a very strong aroma of spices and citrus.

About Harney & Sons View company

I LOVE Cinnamon teas and received this in a swap from KallieBoo. I didn’t find it nearly as overly powering Cinnamon as others – honestly I had the opposite opinion and would have preferred more cinnamon. This one was okay but certainly not something I’d order. I think I really prefer Cinnamon Rooibos. Also, lately I haven’t preferred many flavored blacks opting to keep flavored to rooibos and some white and greens.

ashmanra

This one bowls me over! Oddly, the green version seems more syrupy and cinnamon-y to me, yet I like it better. Yeh, I don’t understand it, either.

Rachel J

I used to drink this a few years ago, and I remember thinking it tasted not so much like cinnamon but actually like those “Red Hot” candies I used to eat as a kid.

Thanks to Soccermom for this delightful sample…In middle school, kids (mostly the girls) would sit/marinate toothpicks in cinnamon overnight and sell them the next day as candy and kids would sort of suck/chew on them. Why in the world did we do this? I can’t recall and this was not that long ago-early 80s in fact…..So this tea tastes exactly like those cinnamon soaked toothpicks….Yum…I really like this tea and will purchase a tin …

__Morgana__

I remember that home made cinnamon oil toothpick concoction. I used to just get the flavored ones at the store. Now that I think about it I wonder why I even did that. I’m sure we were so attractive sitting there with toothpicks hanging out of our mouths. Lol.

Erin

Hooray for pre-teen entrepreneurship! I’ve never heard of such a strange thing!

gmathis

I remember seeing little paper packs of them (cinn toothpicks) at local dime store when I was a kid. Best local candy counter in the world!

Lori

Now I feel like making some of those toothpicks…..

It smells like Big Red gum… which does not necessarily belong to “top coolest things to smell like” in my book, even though I love cinnamon. And then, the flavor itself – it’s ridiculously sweet! Of course I know they claim it to be sweet and so I should’ve taken a hint but I saw so many descriptions of teas that claim they are sweet and they were only remotely so… This one is upfront, midfront and backfront sweet. And there’s this Big Red presence again. It is different from usual cinnamon notes, it’s just like some kind of powdered, artificial, weird cinnamon that I am not so fond of.

I am not really sure if I like it (at all). While I can see how some might be loving this tea, it’s just too sweet for me. I will try it again, definitely, and perhaps I will be in a better mood for it then?

keychange

I love this tea, but I can tell that it’s fairly polarizing—few people feel neutral towards it.

Kat_Maria

It seems like it! I thought I would like it a lot, actually. It’s good I got only a sample. I hope the friend for whom I got a tin of this won’t hate it though ;D

Kamyria

hmmm… I wonder if this is anything like Cinnamon Rooibos Chai from David’s Tea. While I normally like cinnamon, I do not like this type of cinnamon. It’s in your face cinnamon and it’s sweet… in a weird sort of way. It’s not the honey they advertise in the ingredients… it’s something else… I hate it, my oldest daughter loves it, so I keep it in the house for when she visits (she has a bag of her own at home).

Kamyria

Ever since I tried that one I’m deathly scared of cinnamon in teas… especially if they take part of the name of the tea.. lol

__Morgana__

I remember really liking this one, but it is a VERY strong cinnamon. I think I liked it because I’d had other cinnamons that had other flavors in them that made for too much going on or that I just didn’t like.

Kat_Maria

Kamyria, I don’t know the DT’s tea you mention, but I would venture to guess from your description that it is this kind of cinnamon. I am sure Harney & Sons made sure to blend this tea from the finest ingredients and I can’t say anything bad about this tea’s quality obviously. But the flavor just wasn’t for me.

Morgana, I can definitely see how somebody would love it. It’s a very pronounced tea “with character”, but it’s the kind of character that, just like keychange said, you can either love or hate (or at least dislike).

This was a teabag sample that came with a Harney & Sons order.
It tastes just like the red cinnamon heart valentine candies and is quite sweet. I actually like the taste of cinnamon but more of the softer side of it – not the robust candy like cinnamon. I wouldn’t have this again but can see how people fond of strong cinnamon flavour would enjoy it.

ashmanra

I have to cut it half and half with straight black tea. It is SPICY!

caile

That’s a good idea for mellowing it out! I don’t really care for that cinnamon candy taste so its good I only had one bag, although I am glad to have tried it.

This would be so wonderful if not for whatever sweetner is in the dry tea. This is instead really gross. Glad it was a free sample!

ashmanra

There is no sweetener! That is the cinnamon! It tastes like Red Hots to me. The only way I drink it is cut half and half with another plain black tea. Lots of my friends love it, though, so I usually keep it on hand.

Lindsay

Thats’s crazy! I get such a fake sweetner taste from this, maybe i’m the crazy one.

I received this in a swap either from Alphakitty or Jes sorry I can’t remember who.

This is super cinnamony smelling, like hot, spicy cinnamon, not bakey cinnamon. It steeps up to the same scent. So delicious.

This tea is super sweet. Wow! It would he great if it wasn’t for all the sweetness. As it cooled it got even sweeyer. It had a nice flavour when and if you can get past the sugary sweetness.

Alphakitty

Wasn’t from me haha

BoxerMama

Must be Jes! She sent me some too, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.

Babble

Yeah Jes sent me some of this tea so that makes sense.

Jes

yup it was me. I had quite a bit of it to share.

Well, Harney & Sons, aren’t you clever? Here I thought I didn’t like Hot Cinnamon Spice, but you threw in two sample bags with my order the other day. Now I’ve gone through both and I miss it already! Good move. Now I’ll have to order more. :)

Yes!! Red Hots Candy/Big Red Gum/Cinnamon Altoids deliciousness!! If you like cinnamon at all, you must try this. This is sweet cinnamon black tea at its best. There’s a hint of orange and clove that just heightens the flavor. This is so sweet that I think they’ve added sugar or some kind of sweetener—but no?

Either way, I love it and must get a full tin soon! I find cinnamon very soothing and warming in the tummy (I have stomach aches alot), so this is perfect for me.

AmazonV

I have to thank SoccorMom for sending me my first sample of this and getting me absolutely hooked!

So got this one at Williams Sonoma for some crazy inflated price, but have gone Harney & Sons crazy, so what could I do?

Smell is….cinnamon! Wow, very strong. The sachets it comes in are so lovely. First cup plain with nothing added – I like it! It is very very cinnamon-y!! It feels almost like a light cinnamon syrup, and is it sweet. I think this will be a tea I drink on its own, but will try it with milk…..definitely doesn’t need sugar. So many of the davids teas I have seem to have such faint flavours, you are guessing, what sort of tea was this supposed to be? Not this one – you know it’s cinnamon!

First day of one week vacation/ staycation for me!
Yay – going for massage therapy and out shopping for new iced tea to celebrate! Another cup of this hot cinnamon tea will get me going…..

Lilysmom

Drinking this as my first morning tea each day and I love it. No milk, no sugar, ( no calories). Kicking up my rating to 100. Can’t wait for my Harney order to arrive so I can place another one, and stock up on this. Also want to try the decaf version for night time.

I was afraid it would be like drinking red hots candy. That is sort of the flavor up front, but there is also a natural sweetness to it, plus I get a hint of the clove and orange in the background. Not a tea I would normally choose, or necessarily drink again, but am hoping it will clear my sinuses! If you like cinnamon gum or candy, you will love this tea.

Gander

My friends are in love with this tea, and I know it’s one of H&S’s best sellers, but I’m always mixed about cinnamon. Sometimes I love it, sometimes it’s… bleh. It sure look pretty though!

Janefan

I was impressed by the balance of sweetness and spice, but ultimately I just don’t like cinnamon enough to enjoy this tea.

Jillian

Does it have quite a burn to it?

Janefan

well, there is cinnamon oil in it. I wouldn’t say it burns necessarily, but it tastes more like “red hots” cinnamon candy than actual ground cinnamon (although that’s in there too).

Janefan

Just found out that about Harney sachets – “Each sachet brews a 12oz cup of tea” ( I probably only used 8-10 oz)
There’s nothing on the wrapper to indicate this – NO brewing info at all! No suggested temperature or steeping time or amount of water. Presumably you get that info if you buy the whole box, but these were singles/samples from a tea shop.

S

Sigh…I don’t like this tea. It’s too sweet, and it tastes too much like red hot candy or big red gum to me. I like both of those things, but not in my tea.