Fruits d'Alsace

Black Fruit Blend
Berries, Fruity, Apricot, Peach, Plums, Stonefruits, Jam, Smoke
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Today is a day to drink teas I like, I've decided, and after a long morning of stress and work, I'm going to take a moment with fruits D' alsace, a much enjoyed tea that I've neglected for a...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 870 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the samples sent to me by *Russel Allyn* of *Harney and Sons.* This is actually a tea I already had in my cupboard, so I am going to gift this sample out to someone wanting to try...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1813 tasting notes
  • “Ok, epic fail here. and I don't even think it's the tea, necessarily. Last night, I decided to go buck wild and do a cold-brew of this. First attempt at a cold brew ever. No one was going to...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 450 tasting notes
  • “Cold brew of this one tonight as well. I think I prefer it hot to be honest. Th cold brew just seemed to flatten the flavours and make it less appealing to me. Still a nice tea, but not as...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4840 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Inspired by the delicious Alsatian cuisine of Chef Jean Joho, this is a dessert tea with the flavors of the tree fruits of that region of France: apricots, cherries and plums.

About Harney & Sons View company

So, I had a nearly complete tasting written up, got distracted by a video on youtube that ended up crashing my computer (been happening too much lately…not sure what’s going on) and so in the reboot, I lost it all. :(

So anyhow, I got blinded by Teavivre’s package arriving this morning that it totally slipped my mind to check the regular mail for the day, but I did so as I came back in after being out with a friend for a few hours, and boy am I ever glad I did! Oh happy tea day! Joyous tea day! There in my little mailbox was the USPS priority mail box with a number of teas to try from Jenn! :)

I pulled out the ones that were sachet style, and am reserving them for work, since I don’t have a proper steeper there at the mo…and the baggies are easy to use. But this was not one of them. I decided on this one after reading about it as I was cataloging them to my cupboard. I figured this would go well with my dinner (pizza with chicken, red bell peppers and basil-ultra thin crust) so I made a cup.

I admit, looking at the tea in the bag, there’s a hint of disappointment, because I’m so accustomed to seeing bits of things in my teas of late. But make no mistake, when I put my sniffer up to the opening of the bag, there is an unmistakeable apricot smell. Ahhhh…

Being that I am still out of milk, I ventured to go black on this one, though I did add some raw sugar. I did try it plain at first, and it was fine I guess, but I always find that lightly sweetened tea enhances the fruit tones. Or, maybe I am just addicted to sugar. :P

Fully brewed, I can’t pick out specific fruits, but that’s ok to me, since they all balance well as a sort of collage of flavour that is super juicy and tasty. This one most closely resembles my poor times tea (Tetley Black Currant) and it is as tasty, if not moreso. Much better than The Earls Garden from DAVIDs, which I found overpowering and floral. This one has a nice balance.

I’m guilty and will admit that I do still want to try this with milk. I’ve got another tasting or two left in the package. I’m finishing the last little bit of this cup, and it has cooled off a bit, but I think that this would make a wonderful summer iced tea.

Thanks again to Jenn for sending this, and I can’t wait to try more of them.

I have had this one in my cupboard forever. It is certainly a nice tea, nothing wrong with it. The black base is smooth, strong but not bitter and I definitely taste the fruits. Maybe I need to…..?add sugar…..?try it plain…?add in some frothed milk……I like it well enough, but not sure i find it very remarkable….. Well, I have a tin, so will get the chance to try it plenty more times, plenty more ways……trying to drink as much tea as possible while I clean house and await a FedEx delivery…..(not tea unfortunately)……..

Backlog!
I picked up a tin of this when I picked up H&S Birthday tea. Made an entire pot and drank it all yesterday.

In the tin: Smells like: Standard black tea with Peach Jam mixed in. Looks like: This is the looseleaf tea from H&S. Long leaves of black tea and chunks of dried amber fruit.

In the cup: This brewed up fabulously in my brown betty teapot. Lightly fruity and a great tea for both being lazy while recovering from walking around a Rennaissance Faire in a steel boned corset all day the day before, and a nice tea to have at hand while working. I tried it both with sugar and with sugar and milk. It works well with both, depending on mood.

Wonderful tart black cherry flavor; reminds me of black forest cake – add a little cocoa or dark chocolate, and it would taste exactly like black forest cake. I really enjoy that the cherry is not artificial, and there is no almond flavor as is common with most cherry flavorings. Just a rich authentic cherry with black tea.

The fruit taste of plum, cherry, and apricot blend well with this tea. As a hot tea it is a little sweet for my taste. As an iced tea it is one of my favorites, it is sweet and fruity and does not need anything added to it to make it a sweet iced tea. I would give it a score of 70 for hot and 90 for iced.

Meh. I won’t rate this one because I think the flavor has disappeared. I got this as a sample ina ziplock bag a long time ago. This didnt need any sugar or additives. It is not bitter and brews medium brown.

I immediately notice the taste of the berries in this cup. It is nice and full bodied. The flavor of the tea itself could be a little stronger but it is good. It is worth buying again.

Flavors: Berries

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

This is a very nice iced tea. I drank it just as is with no added sugar. It has a fruity flavor that is great with strong black tea.

Made a big pot of this today, since I had a bunch of paperwork I had to write up on the computer (ughhhh…. paperwork…..)…
It was so, so lovely. Super fruity, but without any bitterness.
I’ve made this as a big pitcher of cold brew, as well, after reading ifjuly’s recommendation, and done that way, it’s so light and delicate….really fantastic!

Lee

Very saddened to read about the passing of John Harney on one of my tea blogs. I love anything Fruits d’Alsace especially strudel !!! RIP Mr. Harney and I want to try this tea!!!

Oh no! I hadn’t heard, Lee…. That makes me so sad. :(

DeliriumsFrogs

(side note… If you want, I can stick some in a little envelope and send it your way, absolutely NO strings attached whatsoever. Just a tiny tea send out. Let me know! :) )

Lee

I know :( I just read it this morning. But look at the legacy!! He would love that you are drinking his tea and enjoying it so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee

Oh that’s o.k.,,,thank u very much!! U must keep all your yummy tea and enjoy!!! I am going to order some in the fall when it cools off in the desert lol.

DeliriumsFrogs

Alright! :) This would be fantastic as a fall tea… mmmmm.
And you’re right, his legacy is phenomenal.

boychik

I’m so sorry about Mr. Harney. I didn’t know, sad news

Okay, I give up on this tea. I know many of you luuuurve it, and I’ll have to pass it along in the next SSTTB so that y’all can enjoy it. For me, there’s something fruity that I’m allergic to, and it just tastes wrong to me because of it. Boo.

Flavors: Fruity