Fruits d'Alsace

Black Fruit Blend
Cherry, Plums, banana, Fruity, Malt, Vanilla, Apricot, Peach, Berries, Stonefruits, Jam, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Harney & Sons

Inspired by the delicious Alsatian cuisine of Chef Jean Joho, this is a dessert tea with the flavors of the tree fruits of that region of France: apricots, cherries and plums.

About Harney & Sons View company

Overboard Traveling tea box

I think this is one of the very few times I haven’t had to sweeten my black tea. I can still taste fruit even with it unsweetened. I’m getting mostly berry (I think raspberry and maybe a bit of a stone fruit – apricot?). The black tea isn’t bitter, even with the 4 minute steep and it’s quite light in color. I used exactly 1 tsp in my mug (which is about 12oz – though I didn’t fill it all the way). Pleasantly unexpected.

I did a 2nd steep, with the same parameters as above, but I added sweetener. You can definitely taste the fruit more and it almost takes on a jammy effect. I am really enjoying this prepared both ways. I’m not sure I’d keep it around, since I don’t tend to drink a lot of black tea (it can aggravate my GERD and I have to be careful with my caffeine intake), but this doesn’t seem bitter or sour or too dry. I would consider it for a future order in a small quantity perhaps. Off the rest of the sample goes though. If you “don’t like black tea” try this.

Glad I had the opportunity to try it!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

I liked this one quite a bit, too.

Overboard TTB.

This is a really tasty blend. It’s quite smooth and fruity and naturally a bit sweet. It tastes like plums, and vanilla, and something else I can’t quite identify, maybe stewed prunes. It’s yummy and seems to suit the time of year.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Backlog from yesterday. I keep having to apologize because all my swap samples got mixed up in my move, so I can’t remember who sent me this one. Anyway, thank you to whoever sent me this sample! As soon as I opened up the packet, I could smell some tart fruitiness going on. I am generally not a fan of tarter fruit flavors in my tea, but I had to give this one a shot anyway. As it was steeping, the tart smell became a bit stronger and also became a bit perfume-y as well. For me, those are not great signs for a tea. To be fair, the actual taste of the tea was less intense than the scent, but still going on with those tart flavors like plum and cherry. Cherry flavored teas are very tricky for me because it is easy for them to taste like children’s cough syrup to me. Unfortunately, that was the case with this tea. And that flavor only seemed to intensify as the cup cooled down. I really wanted to love this tea, but it just wasn’t doing it for me, sadly.

This is one of the Harney & Sons teas I’ve been wanting to try for a while, and Blodeuyn was nice enough to send me a sample! The promise of apricot, plum, and cherry just sounds divine. The tea itself is just generic very small black tea leaves and flavoring – no chunks of anything. Dry scent is very sweet and fruity with a nice tart, juicy element. Yum! I stepped it for 4 minutes at 200 degrees.

The brewed tea has that same sweet but somewhat tart fruity aroma. Aw, there isn’t enough fruit flavor in the taste for me. I get a bit of vanilla, but mostly just the generic malty base tea. There’s a little fruitiness here, and I would call it mostly plum, but I was really hoping for more! I guess this tea is a bit too subtly flavored for me. :(

Flavors: Fruity, Malt, Plums, Vanilla

Not quite as heady as Tower of London (another Harney and Sons blend that I’ve seen compared to this one), with a nice, sweet fruity taste and a very light-but-juicy mouthfeel. The most dominant flavor was this nice mellow apricot-peach; while there were cherry notes in the dry leaves’ scent, I didn’t pick up as much cherry in the cup as I did plum and apricot. A very nice dessert tea; would also probably be very good iced.

Flavors: Apricot, Fruity, Peach, Plums

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

First, let me say that I will DEFINITELY be buying this in my next H&S order! I got a sample of this in my recent order and am blown away by how much I like it. I immediately smelled the peach when I opened the bag. It’s lightly sweet and so so good. I brewed it hot this time, but I imagine cold would be lovely, too :)

Flavors: Peach

I immediately notice the taste of the berries in this cup. It is nice and full bodied. The flavor of the tea itself could be a little stronger but it is good. It is worth buying again.

Flavors: Berries

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

This is a very nice iced tea. I drank it just as is with no added sugar. It has a fruity flavor that is great with strong black tea.

Made a big pot of this today, since I had a bunch of paperwork I had to write up on the computer (ughhhh…. paperwork…..)…
It was so, so lovely. Super fruity, but without any bitterness.
I’ve made this as a big pitcher of cold brew, as well, after reading ifjuly’s recommendation, and done that way, it’s so light and delicate….really fantastic!

Very saddened to read about the passing of John Harney on one of my tea blogs. I love anything Fruits d’Alsace especially strudel !!! RIP Mr. Harney and I want to try this tea!!!

Oh no! I hadn’t heard, Lee…. That makes me so sad. :(

(side note… If you want, I can stick some in a little envelope and send it your way, absolutely NO strings attached whatsoever. Just a tiny tea send out. Let me know! :) )

I know :( I just read it this morning. But look at the legacy!! He would love that you are drinking his tea and enjoying it so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh that’s o.k.,,,thank u very much!! U must keep all your yummy tea and enjoy!!! I am going to order some in the fall when it cools off in the desert lol.

Alright! :) This would be fantastic as a fall tea… mmmmm.
And you’re right, his legacy is phenomenal.

I’m so sorry about Mr. Harney. I didn’t know, sad news

Okay, I give up on this tea. I know many of you luuuurve it, and I’ll have to pass it along in the next SSTTB so that y’all can enjoy it. For me, there’s something fruity that I’m allergic to, and it just tastes wrong to me because of it. Boo.

Flavors: Fruity