Fruits d'Alsace

Black Fruit Blend
Fruity, Malt, Plums, Vanilla, Apricot, Peach, Berries, Stonefruits, Jam, Smoke
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Today is a day to drink teas I like, I've decided, and after a long morning of stress and work, I'm going to take a moment with fruits D' alsace, a much enjoyed tea that I've neglected for a...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 903 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the samples sent to me by *Russel Allyn* of *Harney and Sons.* This is actually a tea I already had in my cupboard, so I am going to gift this sample out to someone wanting to try...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1827 tasting notes
  • “Ok, epic fail here. and I don't even think it's the tea, necessarily. Last night, I decided to go buck wild and do a cold-brew of this. First attempt at a cold brew ever. No one was going to...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “Cold brew of this one tonight as well. I think I prefer it hot to be honest. Th cold brew just seemed to flatten the flavours and make it less appealing to me. Still a nice tea, but not as...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4927 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Inspired by the delicious Alsatian cuisine of Chef Jean Joho, this is a dessert tea with the flavors of the tree fruits of that region of France: apricots, cherries and plums.

About Harney & Sons View company

I read at the Harney & Sons website that Fruits d’Alsace is “Paris on steroids.” Well, it isn’t for me, because there is no vanilla, as far as I can taste. I also found the brew to be quite a bit weaker than Paris. I first infused a heaping teaspoon, and then was unhappy with the light color of the liquor, so I added another teaspoon and reinfused the tea. The end result still did not have the density of Paris. The fruit flavor is nice, but from the scent of the dried tea, I was expecting raspberries in the line-up.

I prefer Boston and Paris to Fruits d’Alsace, at least based on today’s pot, but I’ll certainly be experimenting with amounts and brewing methods, as I have a 4 ounce tin!

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Tamarindel

I like Fruits d’Alsace, but I don’t know why anyone would call it Paris on steroids. Sure they both have a lot of fruit notes, but the flavors have a lot of differences as well, and I think Paris is the stronger of the two.

TheTeaFairy

Haha, weird that they would call it that! I much prefer Paris to this one also…I find Paris to be more complex and sophisticated.

sherapop

Tamarindel and TheTeaFairy: yes, I agree that there is basically no overlap with Paris—aside perhaps from the black tea base, but even that seems weaker in Fruits d’Alsace than in Paris. Bizarre comparison!

Deeeeelicious! Fruitier than fruit. Definitely getting the plums and cherries, though I think it also tastes like apples and pears. I’m also pleased as punch with whatever H&S is using for the base tea — it’s smooth, doesn’t draw too much attention to itself, and compliments the fruits flavors beautifully!

Flavors: Plums

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

For some strange reason, I had it in my had it in my head that the cherry would be stronger in this tea but in reality the flavouring is more dominated by cooked stone fruit ands a falavour that reminds me of baked red delicious apples with skin or plum kuchen. I found plum, apricot, and cherries in the flavouring which also has a certain brightness with a hint of tartness. The base was sweet , rich and thick, and contributed a bit of malt, honey, and biscuit tones. The aftertaste is kind of an interesting fruity flavour blended with citrus and a hint of wintergreen, along with a bit of bite from astringency.

All of the flavours kind of blended into each other, without it being incredibly distinct about what you are drinking. The tea re-steeps quite well, with the cherry becoming more distinct.

Thanks JustJames for a tasty treat!

pyarkaaloo

sounds like a buch of beautiful flavors!

Very tasty, though I still think Tower of London and Florence are my favorite Harneys so far. The sweet-tart balance is very well done. I’m not the biggest fan generally of fruit teas, but as they go I liked this one.